Gibson Brands Forums

Deep Purple Keyboardist Jon Lord Dead at 71

Searcy

http://www.guitarworld.com/deep-purple-keyboardist-jon-lord-dead-71

jonlord.jpg

Deep Purple keyboard player and founding member Jon Lord died earlier today, July 16, at age 71 after suffering a pulmonary embolism.

Lord had been undergoing treatment for pancreatic cancer and was reportedly surrounded by family at the London Clinic when he died.

A statement on Lord's official website ends, "Jon passes from Darkness to Light."

Lord founded Deep Purple in 1968, remaining a constant in the band's ever-shifting lineup right up until his retirement in 2002. He was instrumental in shaping and defining the band's sound, co-writing their mega-hit "Smoke on the Water." Along with guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, he helped bring baroque and classical influences to rock.

Over the course of his career, Lord also worked with Whitesnake, Paice, Ashton & Lord, The Artwoods and Flower Pot Men and recorded with several musicians, including George Harrison and Tony Iommi.

Joe Satriani was among the first musicians to respond to the news, posting, "R.I.P. Jon, we will miss you."

Just heard about it on BBC news.

Few IMHO will leave as great a legacy or influence in 'Rock Keyboard' history as John Lord.

R.I.P. but thanks so very much for all you gave in your alloted time.

P.

I was holding a vinyl copy of Burn in my hands Saturday.

On further inspection the album was in pretty bad shape.

I remember telling my son that the keyboardist for this group would simply blow your mind.

Going to miss him.

I remember seeing the Perfect Strangers tour back in the day.

Lord was the man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ_kez7WVUU

• 1 month later...

Would this be a good collection to pick up?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NYLWXI/ref=pe_54370_25468220_pe_vfe_dt1

I do not want to buy a ton of their different albums, and this one contains a lot of the earlier songs I first heard on my old Machine Head 8 track tape I got in 1975.

Play 1. Black Night (Single Version)

Play 2. Speed King (2010 Remix)

Play 3. Fireball (1996 Remix)

Play 4. Hush (1998 Remix) 4:13

Play 5. Strange Kind Of Woman (2002 Remix)

Play 6. Child In Time (2010 Remix)

Play 7. When A Blind Man Cries (1997 Remix)

Play 8. Woman From Tokyo (2000 Remix)

Play 9. Highway Star (1997 Remix)

Play 10. Space Truckin' (1997 Remix)

Play 11. Burn (2004 Remix)

Play 12. Stormbringer (2009 remix)

Play 13. Soldier Of Fortune (2009 Remix)

Play 14. Demon's Eye (2002 Remix) 5:19

Play 15. Smoke On The Water (1997 Remix)

Play 16. You Keep On Moving (2010 Remix)

Play 17. Gettin' Tighter (2010 Remix)

I do not want to buy a ton of their different albums, and this one contains a lot of the earlier songs I first heard on my old Machine Head 8 track tape I got in 1975.

Hi Corey

My humble opinion - (realize that Mr. Blackmore is probably hands down my biggest influence back in my younger days - real early 70s when I really got serious about playing guitar...) if you're not looking to get a lot of the CDs, get 2 - Machine Head, and Who Do We Think We Are and call it a day. If you're looking for the best of the "real" Deep Purple, I think it is right there in these two albums. (the collection you show is missing some "essential" Deep Purple - Lazy, for example.)

(If you're good with a 3rd one, make it Burn.)

out of ALL of them I think Machine Head is the best of the lot.

Fireball, I am not crazy about at all save for one or two cuts.

MHO, others may feel way different.

It sucks, I played smoke on the water on my friends Roland keyboard in honor of him, I also did a 250 BPM version of Sunshine of your love without solos it is a Roland E-300 intelligent keyboard I love it!! I offered him 10 bucks but he wouldn't take it, I just love playing it for lords sake

Hi Corey

My humble opinion - (realize that Mr. Blackmore is probably hands down my biggest influence back in my younger days - real early 70s when I really got serious about playing guitar...) if you're not looking to get a lot of the CDs, get 2 - Machine Head, and Who Do We Think We Are and call it a day. If you're looking for the best of the "real" Deep Purple, I think it is right there in these two albums. (the collection you show is missing some "essential" Deep Purple - Lazy, for example.)

(If you're good with a 3rd one, make it Burn.)

out of ALL of them I think Machine Head is the best of the lot.

Fireball, I am not crazy about at all save for one or two cuts.

MHO, others may feel way different.

Ah yes, Lazy, one of my other faves from them.

Might have to get those two MP3 albums then.

I do not buy CDs anymore, all I buy is MP3s from Amazon.

I like them better than iTunes.

Might have to get some Rainbow too, as Man on the silver mountain is another one I like.

Been watching some YouTube vids on how to play it.

Would this be a good collection to pick up?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NYLWXI/ref=pe_54370_25468220_pe_vfe_dt1

Yes - a good track listing and the remix versions by Roger Glover are just as good if not better than the originals...I personally have to disagree slightly with Kidblast, I would say 'In Rock' and 'Machine Head' are the 2 best ones - and yes 'Fireball' is disappointing...IMO 'In Rock' is one of the half-dozen or so albums that MUST be in anyone's list of albums that started heavy metal, it packs a tremendous punch and the material is all terrific. Also many people don't know the previous album (b&w Hieronymous Bosch cover),last with the original line-up, which is also very good indeed and contains some excellent Richie; singer Rod Evans was no Gillan but does a fine job!

Sad to think of JL gone. Saw the band twice in 1974-75. Lord did most of the announcements between songs, and had an unxepectedly amusing stage presence. I've probably listened to Made in Japan about 2000 times. RIP.

Ah yes, Lazy, one of my other faves from them.

Might have to get those two MP3 albums then.

I do not buy CDs anymore, all I buy is MP3s from Amazon.

I like them better than iTunes.

Might have to get some Rainbow too, as Man on the silver mountain is another one I like.

Been watching some YouTube vids on how to play it.

Rainbow indeed Corey... Good Stuff! The first two albums were brilliant,

I think I have every Rainbow album too.

As I said, a self admitted Blackmore fanatic. if he farted, and recorded it, I'd probably have to have

Bent Out Of Shape is great too, I liked the stuff he did with both Ronnie, and Joe Lynn Turner,

sad that Ronnie James Dio is also deceased. Maybe Ronnie and John are ripping it up together up there!

btw -- I use iTunes, w/iPod classic. SO much easier than humpin down to a store and hoping they have something you're looking for

it's the only APPLE thing I use..

Yes - a good track listing and the remix versions by Roger Glover are just as good if not better than the originals...I personally have to disagree slightly with Kidblast, I would say 'In Rock' and 'Machine Head' are the 2 best ones - and yes 'Fireball' is disappointing...IMO 'In Rock' is one of the half-dozen or so albums that MUST be in anyone's list of albums that started heavy metal, it packs a tremendous punch and the material is all terrific. Also many people don't know the previous album (b&w Hieronymous Bosch cover),last with the original line-up, which is also very good indeed and contains some excellent Richie; singer Rod Evans was no Gillan but does a fine job!

Holy CRAP! I forgot all about ROCK!! (What the heck is WRONG With ME!!) he's right folks - That is another good one.

iTunes store, here I come, don't let me down...

Archived