Gibson Brands Forums

Be careful what you ask for...

ksdaddy

I wanted a rough "non collectible" (routed, repaired headstock) SG to strip and just rub in a coat of linseed oil or something, as bare bones as possible. Just a ksdaddy thing. Naked SGs are sexy.

This one was on Ebay "Buy it Now" for $325 shipped. I pulled the trigger within 20 seconds of opening the page. It's a 2008 and obviously has had a rough 4 years. The good news is that there are no breaks or cracks, it has all the hardware, etc. Now I'm just torn between sticking to my original plan or to leave it alone as a testament to what crystal meth will do to someone.

Or acid.

Or something.

muv3gg.jpg

s43vrq.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

Looks pretty cool in a way. I think I'd be tempted to leave it as is. It's someone's art after all. At 325 dollars I'll buy it and you can find another one!

Stickers on guitars have always signaled that uber fresh street cred that the contrived among us crave. I'd clean them off.

Having said that, my cases have stickers from the 80's in the oldest layers.

rct

Yeah I'm feeling kinda weird getting a guitar with someone else's artwork.

This is my "artwork" (done in jest):

et4.jpg

et5.jpg

et6.jpg

et2.jpg

et7.jpg

et8.jpg

et9.jpg

et10.jpg

whipchick.jpg

I laughed at the "***"

It would have been even funnier if that were the only sticker. "This is my art work." "***"

Whatever you choose to do you've scored a nice guit!

Whilst I would probably elect to strip it in line with your original plan I'd also probably try to remove the stickers carefully first (lighter fluid is good at dissolving sticker adhesive) just in case the original finish is a treasure.

I like the 'honest' wear seen on the rear of the SG. If the front has the same look I'd be tempted to leave it as-is.

But, as that's unlikely, in all probability I'd strip it.

I'm sure you'll keep us posted!

[thumbup]

P.

Very gently clean the dirt off.

Laquer the whole thing to preserve that snapshot of times gone by.

Set her up to suit you and your playing. Then play seven kinds of crap out of her.

Why?

Well..... take her back to original and she's just another SG. What you have there is "a story".

Yeah, it's a tough call. Not one I should jump in haste.

It would be a LOT easier (a LOT) if it were a beat-to-crap 70s model with a repaired headstock and reamed out for Grovers AND it had decals and stickers from THAT era... R. Crumb's "Keep on Truckin'" guy, Disco Sucks, etc. Or any identifiable era other than 2008-12 for that matter. It's not 'far enough away' to have any retro cool.

I agree with thermionik,

The thing is that if you simply clean this SG and remove all of the artwork it'll be just like any other of the million SG fadeds out there.

If I was going to strip the finish on this guitar would get a full refinish in white or TV yellow, something along those lines.

This isn't a vintage instrument that needs to be resored back to specs.

After putting a little more thought into the matter and considering that I already own this guitar, here's what I would go.

First I would strip the stickers off and rout it for P-90s and get a chrome pick guard. Next spray it Grabber Green (my color). Then I would get out the striping tape and either pin stripe it or flame it. Then I would spray it over in flat black, peal off the tape, put it all back together and play baby play.

I'm sure by now you have figure out how fantastic a player this thing is.

This isn't a vintage instrument that needs to be resored back to specs.

Agreed, but as it is (IMHO) it's not attractive. Interesting, perhaps, but not attractive.

Perhaps ksd could try something personal himself.....along the lines of this, maybe?..............

ClaptonFool.jpg

P.

After putting a little more thought into the matter and considering that I already own this guitar, here's what I would go.

First I would strip the stickers off and rout it for P-90s and get a chrome pick guard. Next spray it Grabber Green (my color). Then I would get out the striping tape and either pin stripe it or flame it. Then I would spray it over in flat black, peal off the tape, put it all back together and play baby play.

I'm sure by now you have figure out how fantastic a player this thing is.

Dude seriously, get out of my head.....

I have been thinking about doing something similar since I got mine.

Always on the lookout for one of theses, super cheap(by Gibson standards).

Also, you don't feel bad about hacking/modding the crap outta them.

As for being fantastic Players, this is my fave Gibby to play.

Dude seriously, get out of my head.....

I have been thinking about doing something similar since I got mine.

Always on the lookout for one of theses, super cheap(by Gibson standards).

Also, you don't feel bad about hacking/modding the crap outta them.

As for being fantastic Players, this is my fave Gibby to play.

Inspiration.

Green-rat-rod-1024x768.jpg

7150626685_ff811c886f.jpg

Archived