Gibson Brands Forums

Best song intro

daveinspain

There are so many songs over the years that have had intros that were more memorable than the songs in some cases.The first time I heard the intro to "Foxy Lady" I just flipped,it was absolutely the coolest thing that I'd ever heard.Jimi starts it off with a gradually increasing swell of feedback until it reaches its crescendo with an orgamic wail-just mind-blowing.I always loved the intro to "Little Wing","Angel","Are You Experienced","Gypsy Eyes","Voodoo Child(slight return)", House Burning Down and many other songs by Jimi Hendrix.One song that had an intro that set the mood for the incredible playing that was to follow was the New Year's Eve 1969 playing of "Machine Gun"many respected musicians hail this song to be the absolute pinnacle of live guitar playing and really for guitar playing Period.That night,Filmore promoter Bill Graham told Jimi to cut out the tricks and theatrics and show the people what he could do when he just played-what followed was one of the most rivetting and explosive sets ever played in rock history.The Beatles also had many great and often novel song intros,such as the feedback from John's J-160 on "I Feel Fine" as well as the guitar intro.The classical guitar intro to "I'll Be Back" is just beautiful despite being pretty basic and simple.The intro to "And Your Bird Can Sing" is incredible and I really love the intro to Dig A Pony.The intro of John's "Across The Universe"is just brilliant.BTW George came up with the majority of intros to their songs,it was George who came up with that almost indecypherable riff in Help that comes while they're singing: Won't you please,please help me.

The intro to Whiter Shade of Pale is one of the classics of rock history,the intro of Marmalade's "Reflections of My Life" is also a classic as is The Moody Blues' "For My Lady"."Red Rubber Ball" by The Cyrkle also has a very memorable intro for people who were around in the summer of 1966,so is The Troggs' "Wild Thing" and "Love Is All Around".The intro of Donovan's "Sunshine Superman",played by Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones and John Bonham from another famous band that had some memorable intros such as "Whole Lotta Love","Heartbreaker","The Immigrant Song","Kashmir" and countless others.

Those are just a few of the standouts that I could come up with but there are many more such as: "Don't Fear The Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult and the classic and overplayed "Hotel California" by the Eagles.

Since you brought it up Dave.

My all time fav intro -

Oh gosh does that bring back memories.

Saw him live at the Seattle Center Colosseum around '73 or '74, along with Black Oak Arkansas and a third band that escapes my memory.

I like that someone put the second live Johnny Winter album on here. Great intro to Boney Moronie, etc. I also dig the Intro to Sweet Jane on the live record by Lou Reed Rock and Roll Animal. I feel two that are mandatory to mention are the Intro to Power to Love by Band of Gypsies and, I'm going Home by Ten Years After. The Woodstock version rules but, the Live in Europe version is incredible, it is too bad the crowd sounds drown out some of it. I notice alot of the heavey metal guys today don't play the leads like in the old days. They go more for speed and quantity instead of feel and quality.

Archived