Gibson Brands Forums

Tuners; Do You Have A Favorite?

MrNylon

I'm just wanting to see if there are any favorite types of tuners you have, and like to use. I have a couple I like. The Snark SN-2, and SN-12. The Boss TU-80. One old back up I have is a Seiko Chromatic Tuner ST-747.

The Snark tuners for me, are the easiest to see. The SN-2 is a clip on type, and the SN-12 is a cord plugin. All of my tuners have a mic for sound tuning also.

I have the Red Snark which is another excellent Chinese-made product, I'd recommend it to anybody.

On the other hand I'm not expecting a quarter-century of use out of it...I still have the 1st model Korg DT-1 cassette-sized tuner and it's still going strong after 25 yrs.

Regards!

I remember that DT-1 when it came out. Great tuner that one.

Bass players don't really need stage tuners or pedal tuners, but I have a Korg DT-10, and a Boss TU-2. Us guitar players have to tune constantly, you know.

Around the house, I use a clip-on that at the time was 40 bucks...supposedly an "upgrade" to the cheaper snark. I thought it worked better, but it doesn't work all that great. What it does do, it gets my guitars laying around the house back in 440 after being tuned by ear every time I pick them up. Handy.

For set up work, I use the old Boss tu-8 (I think that's it...the old standard grey one). While a "pro" type strobe or something might seem more appropriate, I have to say, the Boss is more accurate than most fret placements, and easy to read. I don't think a better tuner would gain anything there.

I really have always liked the Korg stuff. I like the way they read, how fast they pick up and react, everything. It's a shame they don't make the DT-10 anymore, because it's a great tuner. I don't think the one they replaced it with is as good or reads as good.

I've tried various tuners, including one of those useless "Poly" things. I have come to the conclusion that I don't much like chromatic tuners and now use a Planet Waves strobe tuner - much prefer it.

I have four Peterson strobes. Three are AC powered and I have a clamp on thats just as accurate as the AC powered ones. I love 'em. I the case of a recently purchased '69 Thinline there was an ancient Rogue tuner (Musician's Friend label I believe) . For the fun of it I put batteries in it. BAZINGA! It was spot on with the Petersons. I was convinced it was junk...not so.

I don't bother with tuners at all unless I'm setting intonation and when doing that a tuner is pretty well a necessity.All other times I tune by ear and have never had a problem.I recently won a Planet Waves Headstock tuner(and some other cool stuff) from a contest that Vintage Guitar Mag had and used it to do the intonation on one of my guitars,it's very easy to use and extrememly accurate.

I've got loads of tuners. The red Snark is my fave right now. I also use the little TuneTechs, the original Intellitouch (which has grown to be my least favorite because of its squirreliness on the low E,), a Seiko, which works better on guitar than mando. The meter seems to jump around on the mando. Then there's the Sabine AX-2000 stick on tuner, which I like very much, except it doesn't stick on so well anymore. Wish they could come up with a solution for that. No amount of cleaning helps anymore. But it sticks long enough to tune up and just take it off. I bought an order of D-Addario strings and received a free Planet Waves Strobe on String tuner, which I never did figure out how to work well. Somewhere around here I have an old white Boss TU-12H.

Peterson Strobe Tuner stompbox on the pedal board, and a TC Polytune off to the side to tune my guitars when I get them out to play.

I like the TC one much better.

I have a small clip-on one too, but I do mot use it anymore.

They all do the same job and should work well, if it doesn't, toss it...

Not necessarily true. Something I've discovered hosting open mic night is cheap tuners can be 3 or 4 cents off from a good accurate tuner. That's a spread of 6-8 cents if you have two performers using two different cheap tuners. If I see a guy using korg tuner It's pretty sure to be accurate. If I see a planet waves I send them to my tuner before they start.

Archived