Gibson Brands Forums

First Gibson 2017 guitars details and pictures

Rabs

Sooooo....

Just found some 2017s on Amazon.com (not .co.uk) (for the third year running).....

In what I have seen... We have HPs and Ts again....

The HPs have gone all chrome on the hardware (knobs, pup surrounds and trussrod cover(really don't like that much)... Also notice that they seem to have ditched the switch chip on every model (about time I say, I know what the switch does thank you :))

So these are just a few of the first ones I have seen.. Im sure more will come...

Look here

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gibson+guitars+2017

Heres the specs for an HP Classic (REALLY not a classic?? [rolleyes] )

A Grad-A flamed maple top to the chromed hardware with titanium bridge saddles, from the G FORCE tuners.

The powerful '57 Classic and Super '57 Classic pickups, and that's before even getting into the whopping 150 sonic combinations available from our new wiring system.

Delivered in a Gibson High Performance super premium stamped aluminum case, along with a Gibson premium leather strap, a Gibson multi-tool and a polishing cloth.

While its looks and legendary design are truly classic, the Les Paul Classic 2017 HP is one of the most forward-looking guitars we have ever produced, focused on creating an utterly new "Classic" rather than staying mired in the past. Add to this our exclusive Fast-Access heel and supremely playable Soloist's neck width, and you have a decidedly future Classic right in front of your eyes-without sacrificing one ounce of that evocative Les Paul styling

And a Standard T

Grade-AAA flame maple top harks to the classic beauty of the 'Burst. An asymmetrical slim-taper neck profile with a compound-radius fingerboard and rolled binding team up for great comfort and speed.

And push-pull switching on all four knobs for coil tapping on both pickups, a pure bypass, and phase reverse all combine in a truly modern Les Paul that still looks legendary.

This stellar guitar is delivered in a classic brown Gibson hard-shell case with a Gibson multi-tool, a premium leather strap, and a polishing cloth.

The new classic beauty is the Les Paul Standard 2017 T which benefits from several groundbreaking updates. New Ultra-Modern weight relief allows for comfortable play and greater sonic depth.

ULTRA MODERN WEIGHT RELEIF... sheeeshhh.. [rolleyes] cant wait for the tone debate on that one :)

And heres some pics

Classic HP

81lSlOUzFTL__SL1500__zpsr4mhjww1.jpg

71m7Rsv69aL__SL1500__zpsevzodurm.jpg

718sraCUMyL__SL1500__zpsirkwvo9k.jpg

And some other colours

81W8vKRZ4jL__SL1500__zps9p0lmmen.jpg

Searcy will be happy :)

81g0xfWyj5L__SL1500__zps4ti3nzhb.jpg

And a Traditional T

81A31GYc0iL__SL1500__zpsf8l52vdv.jpg

Studio T

81PIxuN5a7L__SL1500__zpsgvkc1btu.jpg

Studio HP (I do like the looks of that)

81hhRqz0QjL__SL1500__zpspbpfmedf.jpg

Standard T

818CASm7mFL__SL1500__zpsgq3tsjzn.jpg

Les Paul HP Tribute model.. Doesn't say what year

This Les Paul's deceptively vintage looks are upgraded at every turn, with a slim-taper neck with soloist's width, a fast-access neck heel.

57 Classic and '57 Classic+ humbuckers, titanium bridge saddles and steel studs, G FORCE auto-tuning system.

Upgraded electronics and wiring, and 9-hole weight relief, all wrapped into a truly great value High Performance guitar. Delivered in a HP padded gig bag, accompanied by a strap and a polishing cloth.

81VmzmbuLTL__SL1500__zps4w80iqkt.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes that last one looks the business to me. Like the regular wood grain on it. I assume it is 2017 or were they putting chrome pickup rings on them already?

Haha, no no.. Usually the Tributes are like 50s or 60s tribute.. This one just says Les Paul Tribute model....

New guitars for a new generation.

Besides an '06 archtop, the newest Gibson guitar I own is a '96. None of the modern 'innovations' speak or appeal to me at all.

Nickel hardware, real wood fretboards, hand-soldered joints, ABRs, traditional finishes... I appreciate these things more than ever.

I like the look of the (Pelham Blue?) Firebird V.

The LP Studio T looks to be pretty good as well.

That's about it.

Dislike the rest (to varying degrees).

Fret-over-binding is still rearing it's ugly head all over the place, I see. Shame.

Pip.

Look at some of the tuners - are they still using the electronic thing?...

In Farmer's terms they seem to be 'muckspreading' the contraption.

In fact it looks like they've even found a way to f-up the Explorer's tuners this year (*).

Ah, well; They bought the company which makes them (for an insane amount of money) so we shouldn't be surprised to see it being forced down our throats on anything made of wood which is stamped 'Gibson'.

"...we have......focused on creating an utterly new "Classic" rather than staying mired in the past..."

"Discuss".

Pip.

Yeah like last year.. HPs have auto tuners T models normal tuners and specs...

Ah ok, looked a bit closer.

I just noticed them on the V and the Firebird and wondered.......

"150 sonic combinations"....hmmm!

Yeah like last year.. HPs have auto tuners T models normal tuners and specs...

So only the HP's are going to get the G-Force?

Thank Heaven for Small Mercies, I suppose.

I see the aircraft-carrier fingerboard is now being touted as the 'Soloist's neck width'.....................](*,)

It makes me wonder how King, Clapton, Green, Bloomfield, Page, Beck, Kossoff, Gibbons (etc...etc...) ever managed to get by with the crap size we all had to put up with for the previous 64 years. Not even Les Paul himself - inveterate tinker that he was - thought the 'board needed more girth in order to allow 'soloists' like himself a better furrow to plough.

What a Crock of Sh!t. Who writes this stuff? And do they think anyone with an ounce of playing experience actually believes this stuff???

Pip.

I like the look of the (Pelham Blue?) Firebird V.

The LP Studio T looks to be pretty good as well.

That's about it.

Dislike the rest (to varying degrees).

Fret-over-binding is still rearing it's ugly head all over the place, I see. Shame.

Pip.

As much as I agree that these are utter abominations, I gotta admit I'm cool with the fret-over-binding. I hate when I do a sloppy vibrato on the high e and hit the nib. The note just chokes off immediately.

Bad technique? Yes :) But the lack of nibs would make things a little easier.

Wider fretboard? Noooooo

Chrome everywhere? No!

I don't care about traditional this replica that.. But stupid is stupid.

As far as the Les Paul models, I dig that Traditional you posted in "Antique Burst"... but WHAT is up with that "Ten Commandments Passover Mist Green" LP right above my post....??? [scared]

The thing about this coming year's line that I noticed right off the bat was that 2017 apparently is the year of "no toggle switch washer"! LOL! I am just glad that pick guards seem to have made it back into the SG line!

I would give that Firebird a nice home (and a Bigsby). A white/cream finish option would be nice.

And it may sound crazy but I like the green LP.

To the HP's, I never was interested in them, as long as they keep making the T line I'm fine. They can paint a baboons a$$ on the HP's if they want, I don't care.

What I never quite understood was how other sites like amazon, Musician's Friend, etc. always have images of new products up before Gibson, itself, posts them!

We're all posting pics and commenting on the 2017 line, and Gibson still has the "Coming Soon" placeholder!

[confused]

What I never quite understood was how other sites like amazon, Musician's Friend, etc. always have images of new products up before Gibson, itself, posts them!

We're all posting pics and commenting on the 2017 line, and Gibson still has the "Coming Soon" placeholder!

[confused]

My theory: Gibson themselves can get away with a "coming soon", whereas dealerships, as soon as they get the specs, want to be the first to publish them, because they want to be the first to get orders.

G-Force again... will stores have to sell them for cheap just like last year? If they bought the compaany making them, Gibson obviously will not just give up on them. Rock and a hard place.

Archived