Gibson Brands Forums

Is it me?

Californiaman

The Boston Bomber Topic, locked tighter than an hippos sphincter.

It sure seems to happen a lot.

It really was a good discussion.

Both Zigzag and Malchick made good points. I sensed no animosity what so ever. It was a good discussion and informative.

Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. That's the way the bee bumbles. That's the way the drunk stumbles. That's the way the thunder rumbles.

Guest Farnsbarns

There's been quite a few examples of casual racism recently. I've reported a few, could have something to do with it but I can't remember where they were posted now.

the truth shall set you free, unless it's in a non politically correct format.

maybe they're afraid of losing sales in the Middle East, but i'm not sure if radical Islamists prefer Gibsons or Fenders. [laugh]

i'm pretty sure that i've personally gotten a few topics locked, and i'd apologize for them except my rants about self defense which i'll NEVER change my mind about.

that's why I don't normally even LOOK at "controversial" topics anymore.....'lest I speak my mind and offend somebody that's in the wrong. [lol]

Sometimes a good discussion gets either off course or gets a little too hot... racial stuff, personal jabs you'd never say to someone's face, etc. Sometimes I lock them on my own, sometimes it's as a result of it being reported... and I'm sure Duane and CS do the same (we don't have staff meetings btw). No animosity or moral gatekeeping is meant, and I'm not much of a hall monitor. I don't pay attention to who said what and I don't ever make a red mark next to someone's name in my book, if you dig. I almost never give an explanation for locking a topic (and I have been criticized for that... whatever!) because I figure you guys are adults, you know when things are getting too hot, and my response to that is to just quietly shut it down. 3/4 of the time it's over and done with; some like to keep it going. As my great grandmother said, "The more you stir an old turd, the worse it stinks."

Peace.

As my great grandmother said, "The more you stir an old turd, the worse it stinks."

Peace.

I've never heard that expression, I think I may adopt it. I've learnt the hard way that disposing of the next door neighbours cat turd in my garden by use of a lawn mower is not a good move msp_flapper.gif

Guest Farnsbarns

Sometimes a good discussion gets either off course or gets a little too hot... racial stuff, personal jabs you'd never say to someone's face, etc. Sometimes I lock them on my own, sometimes it's as a result of it being reported... and I'm sure Duane and CS do the same (we don't have staff meetings btw). No animosity or moral gatekeeping is meant, and I'm not much of a hall monitor. I don't pay attention to who said what and I don't ever make a red mark next to someone's name in my book, if you dig. I almost never give an explanation for locking a topic (and I have been criticized for that... whatever!) because I figure you guys are adults, you know when things are getting too hot, and my response to that is to just quietly shut it down. 3/4 of the time it's over and done with; some like to keep it going. As my great grandmother said, "The more you stir an old turd, the worse it stinks."

Peace.

And a sterling job you do too. Even with some of the more "complex" characters (I'm including myself in that)

Thank you!

hey Cali-man....what are you trying to be the new Homz? [flapper]

Haha no but does seem to yearn for the Homz days.

Frankly I do not want to see those kind of posts especially nowadays that the delivery of news is so twisted in all directions.

And a sterling job you do too. Even with some of the more "complex" characters (I'm including myself in that)

Thank you!

i'll 2nd what Farns said....it's a job I sure wouldn't want...and DEFINITELY not doing it for free!

i'm sorry if I offend, it's never intentional.

I think at times that I've been too long in my line of work and/or my upbringing was even more different than I sometimes suppose it to have been. We were taught, and you can see it in my siblings as well, functionally to take either side of an argument and have at it both for recreation and to figure something with closer to an objective perspective. I'm increasingly convinced fewer folks are raised that way than I once assumed true.

I admit I find it difficult to understand why some threads are locked rather than simply a "nasty" removed as tends to be done on newspaper/tv sorts of blogs.

But ... As far as different cultures or subcultures taking things differently, I'm quite serious in my conviction that you can have at minimum a degree of dialog with other guitar-playing cultures; you can't be certain about those that aren't. And I've probably been in as many cross cultural circumstances as most.

m

Well CM, at least yours are just locked down, seems like most of the ones I say something on and the natives get restless, they are totally removed!!

I work pretty hard at not insulting someone or their stand. I can question the stand but don't like to name call them for standing there. Mine are Prolly not a popular stand around here often, but then I do know "I'm Old School" and not that progressive. [biggrin]

Aster

Archived