Gibson Brands Forums

In the Dumps

Del Nilppeznaf

Well...the board has been very dead somewhat no ?

Thios topic comes up often enough...I'm sorry to say..I have lost my mojo :) we all go thru it don't we...i had a good old run there..felt and did really progress in my p-laying

The J35 is a joy... but i have hit the wall...ups n downs u know... playing the same owld palaver

anyone with some inspiring guitar stories...vids..sound samp[les? its Saturday morn..pisssin down with rain...wine is flowing freely ... there must be some life somewhere ..heh heeh

oh..thinking of gettin some new strings [cool]

A man with your steam and spirit is bound to run flat now and then, isn't he.

See it as the best thinkable perspective on your next high.

And take the rain from the angle of the z-monks : Too much outer sun steals from the inner same. . .

But as called in the forest you'll receive answer.

This one is set up ecspecially for you. A timeless tune by K. Loggins, , , maybe also about too strong habits.

It's the Dove with faded steel. https://soundcloud.c...-at-pooh-corner

What kind of music do you play? Play something else. Learn new songs . Are you an accompanist (even for yourself)? Record what you would normally play, then play along, finding different accents, different positions, different rhythms, different parts. Drop both Es to D. Now find the Ds, As, Gs, Es...this is a good start,,,in at least a couple of positions each. Now figure out where you can make really good use of those open Ds, where you need to fret them to make them work and where you can just let them blend into the chord. Re-invent everything you play with those chords. Got another chord in that song? Figure out how to use or mute those Ds and move right through it...

P

This one is set ecspecially for you. A timeless tune by K. Loggins, , , maybe also about too strong habits.

Now that is just what we needed around here- That was a sweet picker-upper, EM7. Haven't heard that one in a long time, and yours tops the original for its simple charm.

Thanks for that! 👏

We all go through that. I think it is usually something outside of music that contributes to such a state. I listen to other people's music to get inspired again or I switch to mando or uke to see if something happens. If nothing happens on any instrument, I look within. Something else is dragging me down. And sometimes I just have to leave it alone a few days. It always comes back. Usually I hear a song and think, I want to do that one, then I figure it out and I am back to playing with more joy.

Here, steal this song. D-A-G could be G-D-C, could be C-F-G whatever. A good friend died unexpectedly a couple weeks ago - the words came quick into my brain, grabbed the J45 and the new IPad and recorded this before it escaped. The lyric is Power of Two, not Power Tool...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201578397035356&l=2754213019090703068

And take the rain from the angle of the z-monks : Too much outer sun steals from the inner same. . .

This one is set up ecspecially for you. A timeless tune by K. Loggins, , , maybe also about too strong habits.

Em , I shouldn't like that half as much as I did. What a strange little song !

As Anne said , full of charm

Sheeeez...a taste of single malt and a small crumb in the pipe and the songs come rushing in... old school.

By Jove, I think you may have hit on the secret of happiness, particularly if you add a fire in the fireplace, a dog, and a Gibson.

I get this. Two things that help me... 1) playing with a friend. Sometimes the partner throws out new stuff or songs and styles. 2) try changing tuning. I only partially know a little open D, and it can help with some new sounds.

Sal has a couple of good ideas here............I am a confirmed "open D" player when standard goes stale. And my favorite....put the tube on a game, turn off the volume, and start noodling!

New strings....

and download Toby Walker's E Pack immediately, recommended by Zombi!

Take a fresh approach to the picking with he E pack, but there are a few other packs... lots of fun.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/105857-my-thanks-to-toby-walker/page__p__1431211__fromsearch__1#entry1431211

BluesKing777.

+1 on what he said! I have only so far got the introduction to fingerpicking so I can't honestly comment on the downloads BK777 mentioned but can say the lessons i have viewed are very clear and easy to follow and include the tabs.

When I finally get my thumb working separate from my fingers and can play Oh Suzanna without cursing my dumb thumb I will definitely be buying more lessons from Toby.

Aerohead

Not only is the performance impressive but the recording quality is outstanding! Very enjoyable! Thanks for sharing.

Aerohead

Yeah, I think the bad are days all just part of this life thing. We don't have a choice which days start good/bad, but we do have something to say about how they end. I find family and music to be great equalizers for me. If I'm alone, I get a guitar and play. The dog follows me and she's great company with the guitar. When family is near, I stick with them. Either way, I kind of have my own little rebellion against the negative things. I don't always succeed, but I try to not allow any room in my life for the negative. Never give-in to it. Write. Sing. Laugh. Be the rebel that most guitar pickers are. [thumbup]

And a pleasant tune from Em7, thanks.

You should make your own thread for that.

BluesKing777.

Archived