Gibson Brands Forums

One Amp, Only!

charlie brown

Right now, all i have is one amp.

I dropped the pursuit for tone, realized it was a waste of time and never helped my playing in anyway possible.

In till i'm satisfied with my playing i'll invest in more "professional" equipment. For now a few different guitars and one amp is all i need.

It's a Park solid state amp, it gets loud enough and it do all the genres need be.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For guitar only, for tube I'd have to go with a Deluxe Reverb. ...

Hard not to agree with this - especially if it were brown tolex or blackface. Even the silverface versions (which mine is) it can do most things very well.

That said, I think I'd go with the 18 watt Marshall if I had to pick just one. D@*n close call though.

This is a question that is incredibly difficult for me to find an answer to because I love my Vox amps,and Marshalls and Fenders and Traynors.Each amp has a unique tone that I've grown attached to yet none of them except one can approximate the tone of others and that is my Vox Ad-120-VTH,yes it's a hybrid amp yet it can emulate quite faithfully the tones of many of my iconic vintage amps even the tube amps.A lot of the tube amp accuracy is down to the 12AX7Y tube in the power amp as opposed to in the preamp as in most other hybrid amps.So even though this may be sacrilege to most people and it was incredibly hard to come to this decision but because of the uncanny ability of this amp to duplicate the tones of other amps,it is my choice.I have put the AD-120-VTH against my Marshall JCM 800 2204 model in a side by side comparison and it nailed the Marshall's tone in both clean and overdrive settings.After owning and/or playing all kinds of amps over the past almost 50 years and still owning over a dozen,I have developed a very good ear for differentiating the differences between any two amps and can readily notice subtle changes in the Eq of an amp,so when I say that an amp nails the tone of another,I am confident that others would confirm it also.

There have been such tremendous developments in the field of sound reproduction and reinforcement that the differences between tube amps hybrids and solid state amps are steadily growing smaller or are even negligible,as with the AD-120.I used to be a "Tube only" stalwart but now my mind (and ears) have been opened to accept that there is considerable and constant headway being made in capturing every nuance of a tube amp with SS or hybrid amps.

I'd say my Mesa Express 5:50, however I may change out my current Fender Super Sonic cab for a 2x12 for portability reasons as I have a project coming up and will need to lug it around a bit in near the future.

The Mesa Express 5:50 is really versatile tone-wise with it's 5W/50W switching capability and it's two channels x two modes each (clean & crunch on channel 1 and blues and burn on channel 2). I replaced a Fender Twin Reverb RI with this and was worried I would miss the clean of the Fender, but it nearly matches the Twin for cleans and does soooo much more. The controls are straightforward and as simple as anything out there. I've tried nearly everything out there and there are some really great sounding amps, but nothing has impressed me to the point where I'd replace my Mesa.

AllAmerican_zps9b0b3905.jpg

I would want to stay with my fully programmable Behringer V-Amp Pro, Behringer A 500 stereo solid-state poweramp, a pair of Marshall 1219 1 x 12" cabinets with an Electro Voice EVM 12L series II speaker either - they are Acoustic OEM parts from around 1981, no reissues -, controlled by a Behringer FCB 1010 foot controller. ;)

Yes, OK, I think it may be unfair presenting a digitally emulating solid-state setup. So if it was about that, the "real" amp of my choice would be the all-valve Orange Rockerverb 100H MkII DIVO with an Orange PPC212 cabinet. A PPC412 straight or sloped might match it better, but they are around 50 kilograms each, circa 110 pounds [blink]

Easy.

Marmalade.jpg

P.

Many of these Music Man amps operate a unique hybrid design. They have a solid-state preamp and solid-state cathode drivers powering the 6CA7 tubes poweramp circuitry. The US 6CA7s are similar to the European EL34s but have an internal connection of cathode and suppressor grid (pin 8 and pin 1). EL34 valves don't have this internal jumper, so they can be used in cathode-biased Class A circuits, too, where 6CA7 tubes are poorly compromised.

However, many Music Man amps call for 6CA7 tubes, not for EL34 valves. These amps don't have a ground connection of the poweramp socket's pin 1, and so EL34s would run with open suppressor grids, i. e. as tetrodes. In case one uses EL34, you get a tetrode sound out of it. Old voice recordings show these distortions, well known as that Hitler tone not caused by his voice but by the non-linear plate current due to reflections of electrons from the plate to the screen grid. Pentodes, invented in 1926 by Bernardus Dominicus Hubertus Tellegen at the Philips Laboratories, Netherlands, do feature an additional suppressor grid which cures that type of distortion. He earned 57 patents worldwide during his life (1900 - 1990). US "beam power tetrodes" like 6V6, 6L6 and 6550 produce more odd-order harmonics than "real" pentodes like EL84 and EL34.

I guess 10cc used that EL34 tetrode sound for recording in the early tube-only Music Man amps they had then. The rhythm guitar tone of "The Second Sitting For The Last Supper" can nicely be achieved this way to my experience. A former bandmate of mine, being electric engineer, used a hybrid MM 212 for many years - I guess it was a one-thirty.

This is probably a stupid question [blush] but what amp is that?

It's not a stupid question at all, Riptide. I apologise for not having made it perfectly clear in the first place. Which leads me on to....

:-k Looks to be a Music Man Sixty Five 2X12. But, Pippy can tell you, for sure. [biggrin]

And so can you, CB!...LOL!

It's a '78/'79 ex-demo that I bought 'new' in Jan 1980 and I've used it ever since.

M-M was set up by Leo Fender and the 2x12 was meant to be his new take on the Twin-Reverb.

Early M-M users included Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits etc...ect...

They are very good amps.

And Cap! Thanks so much for the tech description! I'll try to understand it when I'm more wide awake!

I'm always amazed by your understanding of the complexity of these things!

[thumbup]

P.

Seems picking "just one" amp, is almost as difficult as picking only

one guitar (or bass), huh? LOL

CB

No doubt!. Though part of the problem is the lack of context in the OP. For example, is this amp just for my enjoyment alone or am I playing for others? It's also tough for those of us who use different amps for different styles/tones, etc.

I'd choose my 70s Deluxe Reverb or my Marshall 18 watt clone if I needed to be heard (or a 50 watt Marshall or Bassman if I REALLY needed to be heard) but I might choose my 1 watt JTM-1 if I was just playing for myself. Then again maybe I should just choose my 1966 Epiphone Electra and be done with it. Twelve watts of point to point goodness with reverb and tremolo... what more could you ask for?

Nope, it was meant as stated...if you could only have ONE amp, period...

which would it be. You would have to decide what YOU needed, to do

everything you'd most likely be involved with. Bedroom/living room

practice only...for your own enjoyment, AND/OR playing stadiums...IF

that were also and option. But, you can have ONLY ONE! LOL

CB

Seems picking "just one" amp, is almost as difficult as picking only

one guitar (or bass), huh? LOL

CB

I've gotta agree with surfpup--I need context!

My Vox AC15 sounds good hanging around the house...or maybe the homemade tweed Deluxe.

If I need some volume the Demeter TGA-2.1 is nice.

If I'm stranded on the hypothetical desert island (with magical power supply) it'd be the Rivera Bonehead--it's loud enough to signal passing ships.

(Plus the shock wave would stun enough fish to keep me from starving...)

Of course the other part of that equation is...what guitar goes with that one and only amp???

My favorite amp that I ever used was a '70s Fender Bassman silverface head run through a Marshall 4x10 cab.

I haven't played so many different amps that I can say for absolute certain that the Bassman is "the one". I recently had the opportunity to play through a VOX AC-15, and I loved it. Made me even consider an AC-30 for when I set out to buy a new amp.

Below is the only photographic record of my Bassman/Marshall set-up. It was, obviously, not the focal point of the original un-ccropped photo:

Archived