Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

pippy

Thanks, folks.

She's a D'Angelico EXL-1.

Someone last year in the Introduce Yourself section pictured one which caught my attention. Then our very own Rev David bought one and was gushing in his report. Last month quite by chance I had a very brief acquaintance with one in a GC in New York which made me search one out down here in London. Tried one in Macari's which was nice but slightly buckle rash'd. Found one on-line on Friday and it was delivered two hours ago.

First impressions? I REALLY can't play Jazz if my life depended on it..........

Second impressions? It's a lovely Beast of a Thing!

There's the occasional slightly odd minor finish flaw or two. Nothing major and not a PITA but......just slightly odd......

Mine doesn't have the black 'Stinger' to the rear of the peghead which is a bit of a shame; I liked the Stinger. I knew not all of them had it so it was pot luck. Ah Well....

The strings are heavy-duty enough to double as back-up for the Forth Road Bridge suspension cables and the p'up sounds 'quiet but quality'. It's a Kent Armstrong design and is attached to the p'g - not to the neck nor the body - so it's a proper full acoustic f-hole arch-top with only the jack socket intruding on the bodywork.

I'm heading straight into 'Family Mode' for the evening so I'll try to report better tomorrow!

Here's a bit more if you are curious;

http://www.acousticguitar.com/Gear/Reviews/D-Angelico-EXL-1-Review

Pip.

As old as he is I would really like to see him before he's gone...He is a legend and his shows are all hits....I have only seen Ringo and his all stars featuring John Entwistle and Mark Farner and others. Great show by the way...I would like to see the other ex Beatle...my 2 cents...

edt

Well I see that I posted in the wrong thread and I will copy and paste in the correct thread....

I don't have a clue to what happened.... :rolleyes:

very nice guitar.. [biggrin]

As old as he is I would really like to see him before he's gone...

He is a legend and his shows are all hits....

[lol]

That gave me the biggest laugh of the day, HPH.

After I read the first sentence I thought "Hang On!".................

Then I read the second and I sort of twigged it wasn't all about me.....

On a side-note I'd have loved to see John Entwhistle giving it some serious muscle.

Glad you got to see him.

[thumbup]

Did it come with a case?

Thanks for the congrats, jdgm. I only wish I had 10% of your ability to do it justice. But I'll endeavour to learn.

Yes, it came with what is (accurately) described as a 'De-Luxe Hard-Shell Case'. Pretty much on a par with all my Gibson/TKL cases in every respect.

I'd love to hear you give the babe a proper seeing-to!

P.

That indeed is a big guitar...

Yes.

I'm actually in that snap but you just can't see me because I'm behind the guitar holding it up for the photo.

The upside is that regardless of where I end up playing, because of the size of the peg-head, I will always have somewhere to land my helicopter.

...is that a floating pup attached to the pickguard?...

Yes, Rabs.

The Vol and Tone knobs are mounted at the lower-lobe part of the p'g with the pots and caps wired-in underneath the 'guard.

The wiring feeds through the treble-side f-hole to the output jack.

Were I to remove the 'guard & wiring it would be - output jack-hole aside - a proper, bona fide, f-hole arch-top acoustic.

Pip.

I bought one of those EXL1s last summer. I wanted a jazzbox with a floating pickup, and this guitar fit the bill. I got it for just around $1,000us. It came with a very nice hardshell case and sounded incredible. I was using it for work only a couple if days after buying it and has yet to let me down.

Mine also had a few finish flaws that didn't alter its performance in any way, but I did write the company about some sloppy quality control in at least one if their Korean factories.

I hope you get as much use out if yours as I have mine.

m6x3Gjq.jpg

Yes.

I'm actually in that snap but you just can't see me because I'm behind the guitar holding it up for the photo.

The upside is that regardless of where I end up playing, because of the size of the peg-head, I will always have somewhere to land my helicopter.

Pip.

[lol]

That's a great snap, Fromnabulax!

"WAYYY above the 3rd fret" - as Les Paul was oft to quip!

I'm delighted to read that someone of your experience thought it was up to snuff.

The Rev David Lee was full of praise for his example and his perceptions carry a lot of weight with me. Very much so.

From what I know of you through these threads I hold your own views with a similar respect.

I intend to put it through it's paces when work/lunch appointments allow.

JAZZERS LOOK AWAY NOW!

I also intend to replace the shipping hawsers with guitar strings.

On my Lesters I always use 0.011s but flying in the face of sanity I'm going to put 0.010s on this hunk of wood. Not only that but I'm going to go with an unwound third!...

Bwwaahhaaahaaaaa!!!!!

Pshaw!

'Reckless' is my middle name!

Pip.

Hey Pippy, I have an important tip for you that I just remembered.

That floating pickup depending on where you rest your palm when and if you mute with your right hand has a tendency to tap against the body if the guitar. I have no doubt that in time you could probably damage the finish, and in time even possibly damage the wood.

I went to my local hardware store and for maybe two bucks picked up a pack of adhesive back felt furniture coasters. Like what you would put on the bottom of a chair leg to keep it from scraping against a hard wood floor.

Take the smallest of those, cut it to about the size of say half of a dime, peel the adhesive and stick the adhesive side to the underside of the floating pickup. Be sure to place it far enough under so that it can't be seen, but not so far that it doesn't do the job.

Now whenever your pickup strikes the wood there will be a small sliver of felt to protect the wood.

You'll notice that the bass side already has a piece of felt on there, the treble side needs it too.

Best if luck. Even if you are going to use ---gasp--- round wound .010s.

Thanks, folks.

She's a D'Angelico EXL-1.

Someone last year in the Introduce Yourself section pictured one which caught my attention. Then our very own Rev David bought one and was gushing in his report. Last month quite by chance I had a very brief acquaintance with one in a GC in New York which made me search one out down here in London. Tried one in Macari's which was nice but slightly buckle rash'd. Found one on-line on Friday and it was delivered two hours ago.

First impressions? I REALLY can't play Jazz if my life depended on it..........

Second impressions? It's a lovely Beast of a Thing!

There's the occasional slightly odd minor finish flaw or two. Nothing major and not a PITA but......just slightly odd......

Mine doesn't have the black 'Stinger' to the rear of the peghead which is a bit of a shame; I liked the Stinger. I knew not all of them had it so it was pot luck. Ah Well....

The strings are heavy-duty enough to double as back-up for the Forth Road Bridge suspension cables and the p'up sounds 'quiet but quality'. It's a Kent Armstrong design and is attached to the p'g - not to the neck nor the body - so it's a proper full acoustic f-hole arch-top with only the jack socket intruding on the bodywork.

I'm heading straight into 'Family Mode' for the evening so I'll try to report better tomorrow!

Here's a bit more if you are curious;

http://www.acousticguitar.com/Gear/Reviews/D-Angelico-EXL-1-Review

Pip.

You do knoww that bad boy will spit out thr blues like BB King on crack

4H

Hello Pippy!

Congratulations!!!

Superb! [thumbup]

I am very curious about Your assesment. My next purchase will be an arch-top jazz-box, for sure. (During the next decade, hopefully).

Best wishes... Bence

Archived