Gibson Brands Forums

Appreciation

Silvercrow

Last night I was practicing with my fellow bandmate- we're playing at church this Sunday and the following week he'll be going to Florida until April (!) Anyway- he mentioned adding some guts / crunch to a particular song we wrote together. LP in hand, I made a minor adjustment to my OD pedal, and uped the guitar's volume. SWEET! On another song I dialed in a "perfect" bridge pup tone that just fit the song like a glove. A year ago you couldn't have convinced me that I'd play a Gibson, let alone "connect" with my LP the way I did! My mantra was "I love the way Les Pauls sound...when someone else is playing them!"

We got into a discussion afterward about Fender Strats and Gibson Les Pauls. He's been a Gibson guy all his life (he owns an original '54!)- I am a recent convert. We both love our Fenders but the LPs are our #1's.

The discussion led to DC resistance / single coil vs. humbucker nuances and when Googling respective resistance values and humbucker info.- the BEST info / answers were here, on this Board. (Thanks Richochet, circa 2010!)

Every morning after I read my work emails, I scan this Board and usually post something. I ALWAYS enjoy "seeing" what has gone on overnight- who got what, whos debating who, etc.

All this to say we've really got a great Board here and I'm delighted to be a member! I've gained so much knowledge, have made some friends along the way and have learned so much about Gibson guitars and the folks who play them.

Thanks everyone! Just wanted to show some appreciation!

Brian

Well ive been on here almost four years now :o where does the time go...

When I joined it was a very different place.. Not in the lack of information or of good people, but in the activity on here which was mad.. I remember at some point someone had made over 100 posts in one day (you know where it tells you who the top posters are)...

Plus it was way less moderated so the arguments and fights on here were frequent and rapid... and we used to have the +1/-1 button (which I kind of miss sometimes).. but it kind of allowed people to vote on what comments they liked best... I do think that even though I really miss that button sometimes it is probably a better place for it....

As for what the forum has done for me... when I came on here I didn't even know what intonation was, no joke [blush] and now I build guitars... that's what effect this forum had on me...

And the support and amazing comments I got egging me on, im sure that's the only thing that got me through it...

So, yes... A great forum full of great information and great people... May it keep on for many more years yet..

Everyone, give yourself a good pat on the back for being so cool :) [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

Last night I was practicing with my fellow bandmate- we're playing at church this Sunday and the following week he'll be going to Florida until April (!) Anyway- he mentioned adding some guts / crunch to a particular song we wrote together. LP in hand, I made a minor adjustment to my OD pedal, and uped the guitar's volume. SWEET! On another song I dialed in a "perfect" bridge pup tone that just fit the song like a glove. A year ago you couldn't have convinced me that I'd play a Gibson, let alone "connect" with my LP the way I did! My mantra was "I love the way Les Pauls sound...when someone else is playing them!"

We got into a discussion afterward about Fender Strats and Gibson Les Pauls. He's been a Gibson guy all his life (he owns an original '54!)- I am a recent convert. We both love our Fenders but the LPs are our #1's.

The discussion led to DC resistance / single coil vs. humbucker nuances and when Googling respective resistance values and humbucker info.- the BEST info / answers were here, on this Board. (Thanks Richochet, circa 2010!)

Every morning after I read my work emails, I scan this Board and usually post something. I ALWAYS enjoy "seeing" what has gone on overnight- who got what, whos debating who, etc.

All this to say we've really got a great Board here and I'm delighted to be a member! I've gained so much knowledge, have made some friends along the way and have learned so much about Gibson guitars and the folks who play them.

Thanks everyone! Just wanted to show some appreciation!

Brian

And you've become a respected and informative member. To my mind at least.

And you've become a respected and informative member. To my mind at least.

Geez...thanks Farns! That a very nice compliment...may I live up to it!

Honestly though, I feel I've taken much more than I've given. Hopefully as time passes I'll be able to do more on the giving/ constructive end!

Brian

Hi Brian,

you are a great forum member. Glad to have guys like you active here.

also, happy to have connected with you out side of the forum with emails and PMs where we can share info on gear and just "life" in general.

[thumbup]

personally, I love this place and some of the guys/gals I've gotten to know a bit via posts and personal messages

to name a few: Bence, Pippy, yourself, RCT, Emma, Hollow Dan, among a number of others..

I'm on a few other message boards, but this place is more or less "home" to me.

Hi Brian, I totally agree with you.

It's the best web place ever!

And I wanted to thank everyone again for making this such a nice place.

Sadly we never know when it will be the last time you see or read somebody.

And that's why I think it's important to let people know how much you appreciate them.

Thank's folks, and keep on rocking!

msp_thumbup.gif

Well ive been on here almost four years now :o where does the time go...

When I joined it was a very different place.. Not in the lack of information or of good people, but in the activity on here which was mad.. I remember at some point someone had made over 100 posts in one day (you know where it tells you who the top posters are)...

Plus it was way less moderated so the arguments and fights on here were frequent and rapid... and we used to have the +1/-1 button (which I kind of miss sometimes).. but it kind of allowed people to vote on what comments they liked best... I do think that even though I really miss that button sometimes it is probably a better place for it....

As for what the forum has done for me... when I came on here I didn't even know what intonation was, no joke [blush] and now I build guitars... that's what effect this forum had on me...

And the support and amazing comments I got egging me on, im sure that's the only thing that got me through it...

So, yes... A great forum full of great information and great people... May it keep on for many more years yet..

Everyone, give yourself a good pat on the back for being so cool :) [thumbup]

Similar story for me-just about all my inspiration has come from this forum over about the same period. Great discussions and learned people. Some of the other sites are dreadful!

As we are all being so nice to each other I'll add my two penny's worth.

With all due respect to my American cousins( and some of you are indeed cousins)this is truly an international site and posts from across the world enrich the understanding of fellow guitar players and members in general. It is true that there are larger sites but the mix of members here can't be beaten. Thanks guys.

I have to agree I belong to a few different forums and this by far is the most civil,informative and well just down right nice people...I am still learning guitar and I have learned more here than any other forum by far. I also love the diversity in respect to age that we have here along with geographical diversity. I visit the site three or four times a day...Hopefully the general culture of the forum does not change drastically. Thanks to everyone here.

This forum has always been interesting, and informative. I've been a member for "AWHILE" now, and in the

early days (of my membership, anyway) it was not monitored much, if at all. So, consequently, it was a

veritable "mine field" at times. Which made it "interesting," in a emotionally charged sort of way, if

nothing else. There was/is always good information, but back then, you needed more patience, and a much

thicker skin, to access it. Thankfully, now it's a much "friendlier" place, and easier (most of the time)

to put up with. It may be a little less interesting, in the volatility aspect, and the amount of political,

religious, or just plain "Psycho" contributions. But, I'll take that, any day, over what once was! And,

there have always been Great People here, even in those wilder days, who were more than willing to help,

provided they were allow to do so, and pass along their considerable knowledge, and advice.

It's been A Long, Strange, Trip...and a Blast, too! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Among all the web fora I couldn't find any better place to be. You are great, boys and girls, although I would appreciate some more girls around here. What can we do about that? To my experiences making music is not only a man's world. [biggrin]

CB, you reminded me of Jake Ludwig. Remember him?

Farns!!! you didn't oh yes you did. When I first joined here, CB was the first one to help me figure all this out. He and Nite-Flite { there's a name from the past } were the first ones to help this old man around. If it wasn't for them, I may not be here today........I'll let you all figure out their punishment [biggrin] Seriously, the folks here and over at the Epi Lounge have been great to me since I joined. And when I told my wife that people all around the world were praying for her when she was going thru cancer she couldn't believe it until I showed her, then she broke down and cried. The support you all showed us was overwhelming and I am sure it helped with her recovery. I check here about 6 or 11 times a day. May not post much, but I'm always watching, always watching. I think of all of you as friends and am proud to do so. Thanks all.

TC

ps: who wants to talk about baked maple fret boards?? [flapper]

Farns!!! you didn't oh yes you did. When I first joined here, CB was the first one to help me figure all this out. He and Nite-Flite { there's a name from the past } were the first ones to help this old man around. If it wasn't for them, I may not be here today........I'll let you all figure out their punishment [biggrin] Seriously, the folks here and over at the Epi Lounge have been great to me since I joined. And when I told my wife that people all around the world were praying for her when she was going thru cancer she couldn't believe it until I showed her, then she broke down and cried. The support you all showed us was overwhelming and I am sure it helped with her recovery. I check here about 6 or 11 times a day. May not post much, but I'm always watching, always watching. I think of all of you as friends and am proud to do so. Thanks all.

TC

ps: who wants to talk about baked maple fret boards?? [flapper]

LOL...yeah, the Epi Forum (especially the Lounge) was like a respite, or a "fox hole" in the battle ground, when things got messy,

on the Gibson forum, or lounge! I spent many of the early days, back and forth, and grateful for the friendlier Epi Lounge, at

that Time. Now, and for the last few years, they seem equal, in that friendlier regard...which is GREAT!

As to "Baked Maple" fingerboards?! LOVE 'EM!! [biggrin]

CB

I too came here a "few" years ago, and it was still a bit like the wild west. Some of those fights were epic! I landed here because I was looking for info/tips/etc as I had purchased a new Les Paul "Classic". Of course, I was quickly informed that my LP was a chambered piece of sh!t with piss yellow inlays and ceramic pickups! :rolleyes:

But I stuck around and learned there was a core group of informed and helpful people here - and some genuinely nice folks. I've been known to disappear for awhile when I get bored, but I always seem to return. The roster has changed a bit over the years, but there remains a nice group of guitar players (both old and new members) who enjoy contributing to this community.

I too came here a "few" years ago, and it was still a bit like the wild west. Some of those fights were epic! I landed here because I was looking for info/tips/etc as I had purchased a new Les Paul "Classic". Of course, I was quickly informed that my LP was a chambered piece of sh!t with piss yellow inlays and ceramic pickups! :rolleyes:

Lol...

Yes I too first came on here when I bought my DC Special... wanting to know if it was real cos I bought it on EBay (my only Ebay guitar)... (how typical is that [rolleyes] )

And then I saw talk of weight relief and boldly came out with Oh I have a classic and there must be no relief cos its so bloody heavy... And of course that mistake was quickly pointed out to me and I was told about the piss stained inlays that a lot of people hated too lol.. its never bother me for a second :)

And yeah, then stayed as the activity on here back then was something else and a lot of fun, if not slightly scary sometimes.. ;)

Can I as another of the older-guard just say that, in the main, I find the quality of new members the forum has gained - and who have stayed - in the last few years has been absolutely 'Top-Drawer'?

Gentlemen and women; I thank you. Sincerely. Your combined contributions all help to make - if not downright ensure that - this forum IS the wonderful place it is.

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

Pip.

Can I as another of the older-guard just say that, in the main, I find the quality of new members the forum has gained - and who have stayed - in the last few years has been absolutely 'Top-Drawer'?

Gentlemen and women; I thank you. Sincerely. Your combined contributions all help to make - if not downright ensure that - this forum IS the wonderful place it is.

Pip.

Nicely spoken for a "newbie" [biggrin]

TC

Pip.

Nicely spoken for a "newbie" [biggrin]

TC

opps hit the button twice, sorry

Archived