Gibson Brands Forums

New Family Member

MissouriPicker

Picked-up a 2013 J45TV today. My son, a friend of mine and I have been playing it and my J45 Standard against each other for about 3 hrs. now. I have to admit that it's got more volume than my standard, but the old dog is more mellow sounding. Likely because it's 7-8 years older. Still, the TV can roar. I do believe there is something to the Adi tops that are showing-up more and more. This entire guitar vibrates from the headstock to the end pin. There's just a deep and wide resonance to it. Wasn't particularly looking for a True Vintage of any model, but this was too good to let it go, especially when I've got cash burning a hole in my pocket. The guitar looks brand new. Couldn't have been played much. I will say that the case sucks. The case rates along with the Epi case I got with the EJ200 I got recently. Not bad, but not the quality of my other Gibson hard cases. Don't like the latches and the pink lining just doesn't fit the guitar or me. Of course, Gibson named a guitar The Bone Crusher and gave its case a pink lining...But what the heck, I've got cases that fit it.

I forgot how lightweight these True Vintage models are. Reminds me of the first Huss & Daltons I played several years back. I thought at the time they felt too light, but I know of one that is from around 2000 and it's been folded and put away wet and still a solid guitar. Anyway, I'll be up late tonight playing this thing. Really do like the sound and the neck is real comfortable.

Wow, congrats! Yeah, there is definitely something to that red spruce top, but I think the different bracing might be the real key. As you said, light as a feather, just like my Hummingbird V.

Then again, the bracing in the J-45 standard and our J-15s is no slouch either. I'm jealous, but I also don't envy having to choose between a friendly J-45 and the new TV! Or maybe you will do the right thing and keep both :)

Congrats, Larry! I kinda figured that cash would be put to good use once you found the right one. Let us know how she compared to your beloved Bird.

Larry, you sold your Bird????

I will keep wait for 5-10 years from now when you buy another. The Bird may leave the nest, but it does not leave the heart. Bet you'll get one of them newfangled terrified scaredy-birds (chickens?). 5-10 years.

... This entire guitar vibrates from the headstock to the end pin. There's just a deep and wide resonance to it. ... I forgot how lightweight these True Vintage models are. ...

Love your description - sounds fantastic.

Hoping you'll post a pic or two when you get a chance.

Congrats and enjoy. . B)

Well done M.P. I knew it wouldn't take long. I too think there is something notable on the tops. Enjoy! edit: I'm secure enough to get by with the case lining on my new one , but those darn latches are a pain for certain.

steve

No, no...I didn't get rid of my Hummingbird. It's a prize worth hanging-on to. Just took it out to the garage and put it in my car for my Wednesday gig. Be leaving for it in a about twenty minutes.....Regarding the case......... Just don't like the pink color and think it adds to the cheesiness of the brown color on the outside of the case. I'm assuming it's some kind of leather exterior, but it has a plastic look to it. Maybe it was chosen to be a sharp contrast to the guitar. And very true, the latches are different. I'd have picked a different case, but others will think differently and that's fine. Has nothing to do with the quality of the guitar...........I'll get some pics of the guitar later this afternoon and get them posted. Still aiming to get a rendition of Dan's "Box Top Tambourine" recorded. I'll do it with this guitar.

Zomby, I can't find anything on J. D. Shewalter, aside from a politician around here in the 1920's. Was he a criminal of some sort? Politician=criminal...lol......Seriously, can't find any details on him.

I think the case is just brown vinyl instead of black vinyl (but you're right; it's meant to call leather to mind). I don't mind the hot pink at all, although it is a bit strange! I do mind the latches...

I sometimes think about selling mind and buying a Hiscox instead. Not sure how much a case like that ("vintage" case or whatever) goes for. Maybe shipping costs would render it pointless.

Fantastic Larry. I love the J-45TV's. Always wanted one to go with the 50's style SJ that Ive got. I reckon pound for pound the J-45TV was the best all round Gibson in the catalgoue. Im sure you will enjoy it, do you have problems picking which guitar to play now ?

Got some pics. Need to find my photo bucket account to get them posted on here. I'll do that. Meanwhile, trust me when I say it looks VERY similar to the other J45TVs and maybe some J45 Standards that have been around for a while. I'm sure everyone is shocked to hear that...lol.. Anyway, I'll get the pics on here. Still has the warranty paperwork. It left Gibson in July of 2013.....Told some friends at my gig this afternoon that I got it and one asked if I was going to keep both J45s. Said he'd give me 14 cash for the standard. Might do it, cuz I think I paid a decent price for this 2013 and it truly is an impressive guitar. Plus, it's the new baby...for now. My standard is a 2006. Headed-up to GC now to get me an LR Baggs Lyric to put in the tv. I installed one in my koa AJ and the plugged-in sound is pretty sweet. Thanks for all the congrats and interest. I WILL get those pics up. This GAS thing is nuts. Don't know when or if it will end, but I'm glad it's still going-on. Things I believe in regards to guitars---------never say "never. There's no such thing as "the holy grail." There's always room for one more.....And guitars are like women: you can't have too many. [thumbup]

Archived