Gibson Brands Forums

Bacon & Processed Meats Cause Cancer?

Digger

Over the last 20+ years have heard that cooking meats made with Sodium Nitrate (to cure it like bacon & ham, lunch meats, etc.) chemically changes it into Nitrites which is carcinogenic. From what I recall, cooking only in a Microwave prevents the Nitrate from converting into the dangerous Nitrite agent. That's why I always cook my bacon (when I ever eat it) in the Microwave. I'll have to read what ABC news is saying that's any different.

Aster

I don't think the processed meat part is big news. I think that has been known for a while.

It's the "red meat probably is too" part of this claim that is troubling.

But I'm not going to let it get to me.

I do try to limit my processed meats but I do love them.

I love pepperoni, sausage, bologna and who doesn't love bacon.

I don't each a ton of red meat but damn, there is no way I will ever quit eating a nice

bloody steak or roast beef and I will never take lamb off my menu either.

Nitrites and proteins may react to nitrosamines when heated, in particular over 140°C (284°F). Unfortunately this is the temparature where all the pathogenic organisms possibly present in the meat will be killed securely.

Using a microwave oven will limit the temperature to about 100°C (212°F) and denature by far the most of all virulent germs, too.

On the other hand, our immune system is producing specific nitrosamines itself. They are the only weapons against viruses working at 37°C (98.6°F).

In my opinion, too much of anything can be bad. It is also useful to know how to deal with the nitrosamine problem. Vitamine C will be best, or vitamers of it like ascorbic acid. When you eat a Toast Hawaii, bacon and cheese may contain the poison which the pineapple will help to defeat. [biggrin]

Most things in life are a matter of balance I guess. :)

I think I posted something along the same lines on another forum. I've eaten bacon and processed food for a lot longer than I smoked. Not to say that it's good, but everything in moderation. Then again, I remember an interview on the radio a decade or so ago with Jack LaLane, who lived to be about 387 years old, who said his mantra was "If man made it, don't eat it". Makes sense, but I like bacon [flapper]

More headline grabbing scare tactics! Everything in moderation! What's next, the polluted air, water, and

soil that grows "natural" veggies??? While I don't doubt some of what they say COULD be true, everyone

reacts differently to most things we come in contact with. Why do some folks, drink, smoke, and don't

get enough sleep, or a "proper diet," and yet live to be 100+, and other folks do everything "Right,"

and die at 30, or even younger??! It's all a crap shoot, some of which is genetic, and environmental,

as well. Even the "Stress" induced by all these doom and gloom advisories, can be a factor, for some

folks.

So, eat, drink, and be of good cheer! The "End" will come, regardless! Not one of us, past or present,

has every gotten out of "Life" alive! [flapper][tongue][biggrin] So..."Don't Worry, Be Happy!" And, use some common

sense. [thumbup]

CB

Very interesting. Actually I don't care much for processed meats. But I have eaten tons of red meat and steak in the past up till my cancer. One thing I couldn't tolerate is beef for some reason. During my chemo and radiation, I threw up anything red meat and it was so gross tasting it coming back up, I quit eating it. A few yr's later I came back to it in small moderation but I could give it up easily. My favorite food has been turkey. I'll take it over red meat anytime so don't ever tell me that it is bad or I will starve! Lol chicken and turkey but I do love BarBQue ribs once in a while too. Now Bacon? If we go out for breakfast, I never turn down good bacon! But I'll only grab about 4 or 5 slices. In another report awhile back I read that bacon was good for you? Well, I'm up for a colonoscopy I think in 3 more yr's. Hate drinking a whole jug of that crap! msp_thumbdn.gif

Oh not again!

First, it was the milk, then the eggs. Bread, white/red meat. After that, they found out it was all wrong and all are healthy.

Diets. All these insanities with paleo-atkins-whatever. Exhausting.

I hate this. Industry sectors fighting information war against each other in hope of higher profit.

Old Hungarian saying: "What feels good, won't make You any harm."

Cheers... Bence

This sort of stuff will, in no way, make me stop eating bacon, or sausages or whatever.

Guess the boffins will have to come up with a new way to make bacon and such safe to eat; no way I'm stopping.

I just finished my 30th PET Scan in 8 years. If the glowing in the dark doesn't get me, I am not going to worry about some processed or red meat. I have had one surgery, one session of radiation, three separate chemos, and one Stem Cell Transplant (BMT). I agree with the comment that the key is moderation. That has been my problem my whole life, I am not a moderate. I never ate in moderation, I never smoked (anything that would burn) in moderation, I never partied in moderation, I never played in moderation, and I never worked in moderation. It all will catch up with a person. It caught up with me in 2005 and I have been on a wild cancer surviving ride ever since. So I sit back, play my J-35, read this forum for inspiration and enjoy life. c'est la vie. It's all good. [biggrin]

Why do some folks, drink, smoke, and don't

get enough sleep, or a "proper diet," and yet live to be 100+, and other folks do everything "Right,"

and die at 30, or even younger??!

Bingo.

Look at Keef.

I don't believe most of what I read and hear.

87 percent of Stats are BS.

Etc......

Guest Farnsbarns

Isn't it funny that most of the headlines and health warnings we see can easily have the negative activity replaced by the words being alive, or aging.

Look at this one itself.

Being alive causes cancer.

Ageing causes cancer.

And the cigarette warnings...

Smoking Aging lowers your sperm count.

Smoking Ageing harms you and others around you.

Smoking Ageing causes premature death.

No one can argue that smoking isn't harmful but I do fear we've got to the point where these studies nearly always come up with an answer favorable to those who are paying for it. Who paid for this one?

Isn't it funny that most of the headlines and health warnings we see can easily have the negative activity replaced by the words being alive, or aging.

Look at this one itself.

Being alive causes cancer.

Ageing causes cancer.

And the cigarette warnings...

Smoking Aging lowers your sperm count.

Smoking Ageing harms you and others around you.

Smoking Ageing causes premature death.

No one can argue that smoking isn't harmful but I do fear we've got to the point where these studies nearly always come up with an answer favorable to those who are paying for it. Who paid for this one?

Totally agree with what you are trying to say.

I smoke. I am well aware it will take years off my life. I also eat a lot of meat. And I do a lot of physical work. Perhaps I stay in shape that way, but also my body will wear out faster.

So where does common sense come into it? If I get lung cancer, then I can't be in the "red meat" statistic and die from that. If I turn vegetarian, I can't have the needed energy to work. I have to get a different job.

If I avoid all foods that have ill-effects, I go hungry. Statistically, we would starve.

Archived