Gibson Brands Forums

Why you should not buy guitars online.

machine

I ordered a Gibson Les Paul Classic 2015 off of Amazon recently, as the price was very good and I had wanted that specific guitar since it was released.

Here is what the image was on Amazon:

LPCS15SFNH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

And here is my guitar:

2015-12-28%2B12.38.48.jpg

Don't get me wrong, the guitar is absolutely amazing and the best one I have ever played, and the color isn't even that bad, it's just that I would have picked one of the sunburst colors, had I known it's more grayish green than the blue seen in the picture.

Just something to note, when you're buying guitars online.

Thanks for the heads up!

I for one, always look at the specific model by browsing thru multiple (different) photos and/or youtube videos. Only than I can tell if I really like the color or not.

I did check youtube videos and pictures and most are indeed light blue and not the color i got. Here for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCahkzxrGZ0

If it was supposed to be the seafoam green, most likely the grain of the maple top didn't soak up the stain like most. I think it looks great myself. The video was of another guitar in the production run, not representative of the guitar you were to get. If you want that, you need to purchase from Sweetwater or another store that offers pics of the guitar you are actually purchasing. But since it was a GC purchase, you do have a 30 day 100% satisfaction guarantee to exchange or return it.

I am kinda wondering if that particular color is prone to fading.

When I visited GC earlier in 2015, I saw a few of these that were quite green and bright, but last visit they seemed a bit more subdued.

Regardless, on the topic of online, I am a firm believer in shopping guitars in person. Too many important things about a guitar that can't and never will be able to be described or photographed.

I prefer the one you got. The flame top is much much better than the one I got on my Classic. actuslly it might just be the best one I have seen! The colour is nicer too. [thumbup]

I have seen these in all shades of green, some even looking yellow or amber ('14 models I think). I think they went nuts with the spray tan on some. [biggrin]

I hope you're pleased with it really? I have found my 15 to be the best guitar I have ever laid hands on. Absolutely gorgeous instrument to play.

The only way I will ever buy on line is from a guitar store that sells guitar by serial number and photos so you know what guitar you are getting....I've bought 2 from Sweetwater and both were guitar that was pictured on their site.....I would never buy from Amazon or any seller that has just a generic picture of said guitar with no serial number for verifacation....You have no idea what it will look like.....

2015-12-28%2B12.38.48.jpg

Congrats on your nice buy! [thumbup] That top is so pretty I can't believe it is BB rated accordingly to the specs. A beautiful figuring along with an appealing grain - to my eyes there's nothing missing. [wub]

Depending on lighting and viewing angles, and considering possible polarisation filter in front of the lens, stained tops may translate rather different on photographs. I think I probably would be disappointed if the finish had been called Ocean Blue, but to me it looks quite like Seafoam Green does on real guitars on a flash picture.

There are lots of fluid boundaries, mostly depending on how a specific piece of timber reacts to stain and clear coat. Chatoyance may blur the differences between e. g. honey burst, tea burst, iced tea, and light burst, to name only a few.

Keep on rocking your baby, mate! [biggrin]

Yeah I like the colour too.. And the flamyness on the maple is lovely.. not too over the top...

And I saw those Amazon prices... At that sort of price I wouldn't be moaning :) you got a great catch there me thinks [thumbup]

Same thing happened when I met my now wife on our first date - looked different than her picture she posted online. Couldn't return her so I've been stuck with her for 10 years now.

Funny...

I too unintentionally ordered a guitar that looked better in the pictures than in person. I told the guy he should stop selling guitars and start doing professional photography. He said he had heard that before.

Things I buy online:

New Balance sports shoes, size 10.5EE.

Black t-shirts, size Large.

Kindle books for my wife.

Things I never buy online:

Guitars.

Blue jeans.

Casual shoes.

Dress shoes.

Guitars, of any sort.

Cars.

Oriental brides.

Russian brides.

Erectile dysfunction cures.

Guitars, either bass guitars, regular guitars, or any other sort of guitars. Ever.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

[crying]

ups-driver.png

I much prefer what you got to the ad version. The one you got looks like the Trampis Green of the PRS SE ZM, which I have one of.

If you are really disappointed, we can trade straight up. [rolleyes]

I have ordered two guitars online. Both from Sweetwater who posts actual pics of their guitars. Both times the guitar in hand was a perfect match to the ad pics

These online dealers are trying to figure out how to provide as much info as they can about each guitar to prospective buyers. They're having to make it up as they go along since lots of mom and pops are going downhill. Some of these dealers are doing a better job than others.

Amazon is not a Guitar Shop. They sell everything from Depends to Doody Diggers.

Return the thing and deal with a real guitar dealer who gives you the attention you want. [thumbup] [thumbup]

The only way I will ever buy on line is from a guitar store that sells guitar by serial number and photos so you know what guitar you are getting....I've bought 2 from Sweetwater and both were guitar that was pictured on their site.....I would never buy from Amazon or any seller that has just a generic picture of said guitar with no serial number for verifacation....You have no idea what it will look like.....

Exactly what he said.

As I said, don't get me wrong, the guitar is absolutely amazing and I quite like the finish. It plays perfectly and was set up really well for a non-guitar store. I'm just saying, be careful when you buy online, as you might not get exactly what it says on the tin.

I just ran a query on Amazon

49% off .. is that what you got too?

List Price:$3,798.00Price:$1,937.00 & FREE Shipping. You Save:$1,861.00 (49%)

I got it in the UK from an Amazon flash sale for £700 ($1039) brand new with the Gibson gold case and eveything. I could probably sell it for more second hand, so I am definitely not sending it back :D

Congrats on your nice buy! [thumbup] That top is so pretty I can't believe it is BB rated accordingly to the specs. A beautiful figuring along with an appealing grain - to my eyes there's nothing missing. [wub]

Depending on lighting and viewing angles, and considering possible polarisation filter in front of the lens, stained tops may translate rather different on photographs. I think I probably would be disappointed if the finish had been called Ocean Blue, but to me it looks quite like Seafoam Green does on real guitars on a flash picture.

There are lots of fluid boundaries, mostly depending on how a specific piece of timber reacts to stain and clear coat. Chatoyance may blur the differences between e. g. honey burst, tea burst, iced tea, and light burst, to name only a few.

Keep on rocking your baby, mate! [biggrin]

Thanks man, the more I play it, the more I think this was the best purchase I've ever made. :)

Archived