Gibson Brands Forums

Who is your favorite group old or new ?

4Hayden

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm going to catch hell or this one, but I don't give a rat. My biggest music question of my lifetime is....What the hell is the big deal with the Beatles?

Honestly, I don't get it. Thier early stuff is vanilla ripoffs of Little Richard, or Smokey Robinson and later when they became "songwriters" I can name several (maybe 2 dozen) groups that where better than the Beatles in every measurable metric of musical influince than the Beatles.

I know they had staying power. They went to the top of the charts alot. But so did Brittiny Spears. At least she's fun to look at.

Every time I'm in a room of musicians and bring this subject up, I nearly get castrated. But I seriously don't get it. I can name at least 20 British Groups that were bigger influinces on today's music and at least as many American. And Pink Floyd and the Beach Boys wouldn't necessarly be the ones I would start with.

Maybe someone can show me the light, or maybe it's all smoke an mirrors. I have all the records. Listened to all of em many times. Like em even. But best ever???? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Well I did have an answer to the OP's question but now I have two options:

1. Britney Spears

2. Megadeth

They're so similar in musical style but Britney takes the #1 slot based on your analysis.

I know I'm going to catch hell or this one, but I don't give a rat. My biggest music question of my lifetime is....What the hell is the big deal with the Beatles?

Honestly, I don't get it. Thier early stuff is vanilla ripoffs of Little Richard, or Smokey Robinson and later when they became "songwriters" I can name several (maybe 2 dozen) groups that where better than the Beatles in every measurable metric of musical influince than the Beatles.

I know they had staying power. They went to the top of the charts alot. But so did Brittiny Spears. At least she's fun to look at.

Every time I'm in a room of musicians and bring this subject up, I nearly get castrated. But I seriously don't get it. I can name at least 20 British Groups that were bigger influinces on today's music and at least as many American. And Pink Floyd and the Beach Boys wouldn't necessarly be the ones I would start with.

Maybe someone can show me the light, or maybe it's all smoke an mirrors. I have all the records. Listened to all of em many times. Like em even. But best ever???? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Jay, I think you need to visualise how big a deal bands like The Beatles were in their time. I'm not a big fan of theirs, and I feel the same about Elvis but try and put yourself in the position of a young person living in their era with only old fashioned crooner type singers, they must have seemed like a world changing revolution, and don't forget kids in those days didn't have the internet and other distractions we take for granted.

If I can borrow a line from Bob Marley "If you know your history, then you will know where your coming from"

Ian

Hello.

Thank You Charlie for Your thought on Beatles. To be honest with You, I always felt like Jay about them.

Their first period was so cheesy that made Chuck Berry sound like...well...Beethoven. Now, I understand, what did overshadow Mr. Berry's popularity.

Their next period was so exhausting with all those psychedelic experimentations.

In my humble opinion, for their very last album did they become complete artists. "Let it be" was and still a great album.

Best wishes... Bence

Well, I guess one either loves them, or not? As you all know, I happen to be in the "love them" camp.

But, for a variety of reasons, not just that I grew up, and came of age, during "Beatlemania!"

What sounds "cheesy" now, to those that don't care for that kind of "Pop" rock, to us

was a breath of fresh air! More like precious, direct Oxygen! And, merely the start of a great adventure, musically.

John Lennon has famously been quoted as saying something to the effect that "Real" Beatles

Music, was formed in the dance halls and nightclubs in Hamburg! Not on the stage of the

Ed Sullivan Show! They could be as "edgy" and hard rock, as any band! There's a lot of

that, to be found in their catalog, along with the "Pop" and "Psychedelic" stuff. The

fans, or those that are not fans, tend to pigeon hole them, a lot more that they, themselves

did, or would.

They pioneered techniques, that are simply taken for granted, now. And, they did it all

"analog!" No digital interfaces, or samplings, back then! Barely any effects pedals even,

compared to these days. George Martin was critical, in that aspect, but he just helped

them realize their ideas, in a practical way, given the limitations of the recording

studio's of that time. And, he/they helped usher in how recording would advance and

change, due to their ideas, and how to achieve those, in a better, faster way.

But, to each his/her own! The Beatles certainly don't need any defending, or explanation,

by/from Me! LOL [biggrin]

CB

We always have to keep repeating it. RUSH. Because they never get the respect they deserve. [biggrin]

Well the truth is, (and I get it) they are not for everyone's ears the early stuff especially. But that said, they came along at a time that made them very influential for me, in both playing and writing. I was right there in the early / mid 70s, when just everything was happening to transform what today is "Classic rock"

and to pickup up on the Beatles sub thread. I'm sort of on the opposing side too. Not a HUGE fan. By the time I was really "getting it" (69/70) they were really already done as a band. It is uncanny that after all these years, they're still where they're at in terms of popularity. You can't argue with those facts, that's for sure.

While I do appreciate the Beatles and admire the body of work they did, if we're going "MY top 10", they're not on it. I like a lot of the music, and I still play a lot of their material when I'm out performing (solo/duo/band), they go over great, and everyone enjoys listening and dancing to them. But in a "listening" setting, a little Beatles goes a long way.

There are probably 10 fold the musicians that feel the same way about Rush as I do about the Beatles, "play one or two and I'm good".... and, that is perfectly ok.

Everyone likes what THEY like, and that's just the way it's meant to be.

Sure they don't need to be defended, when so many people still love them today. I think that all the pioneering - Charlie You have explained -, and the events and the atmosphere of their time has to be considered to understand why they were so big. I am not questioning that, I was rather curious about the reason why others who now seem to be better (to me at least) didn't reach to such heights. Your previous posts cleared that for me.

Best wishes... Bence

Bence IMHO if it wasn't' for George Martin, they may have very likely faded in to obscurity before any sparks were ignited.

He pretty much was the 5th guy, with out him, I don't know if the extent of their success would have ever materialized.

I never particularly liked or was interested in their music. Nothing to do with musicianship, didn't dislike them personally or take a set against them as 'Dad's music ' or anything - just preferred other stuff I guess. Same as some of the prog rock band others here revere. That's a cool aspect of popular music - it's popular to different people.

...but...

Much respect for what they did in laying a path for rock band in the sixties and seventies to follow (and basically giving up their private lives in the process). I can understand them being many people's favourites for that alone

No doubt that producers and engineers are just as important as the composers themselves. I have heard demoes of couple of big names in the genre of heavy metal. Compared to the final record, these sounded so childish.

A good example for this is Max Norman's relationship with Ozzy. The "madman's" first three records sounded so exciting and all three were consistent. Then, His fourth solo album was boring beyond death. The songs were great, though, but listening the whole album at once was impossible.

Best wishes... Bence

Count me in as another die-hard Beatles fan. Only albums I'm not crazy about are Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine. Important in their own right but not something that I ever really listen to.

Everything else that they did (including their early stuff) is so good, I can't even put words to it!

Are you my brother?! I've been saying for years I don't get what the big deal with the Beatles was/ is either. I have commented on the forum before and people usually go crazy mad if you criticize the Beatles. It was just mass hype at that time during the 60's in my opinion. Brainwash people that anything is good and they end up believing it! Look at Beiber [scared] Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind the Beatles later output from Rubber Soul onwards, but their early stuff is bland, annoying, tedious and horrible. Even their later stuff isn't always so good; for example the White Album has a load of garbage on it, with only a few good songs. Don't get me started on how crummy Sgt. Peppers Overrated Hearts Club Band album is either [biggrin]

The Beatles arrrrrggghhhh! [cursing][scared]

Bence IMHO if it wasn't' for George Martin, they may have very likely faded in to obscurity before any sparks were ignited.

He pretty much was the 5th guy, with out him, I don't know if the extent of their success would have ever materialized.

I completely get success. But if that is the measuriing stick, then I will say with unwavering certainty that the best of all time is the only band that had more #1 hits than The Beatles, Elvis, The Beach Boys and the Rolling Stones COMBINED. The Funk Brothers.

Well, it's a fact Lennon & McCartney were passing by a primary school one day and popped in to surprise the kids. The kids were having a music lesson at the time and had been asked to come up with a song about 3 subjects, which were as follows; 1) pigs, 2) raccoons and 3) submarines. Lennon and McCartney gasped at the musical brilliance of one child's song 'Rocky Raccoon'. They were blown away by another kid singing 'Yellow Submarine' and finally the inspired 'Piggies' by one primary school genius. They quickly rushed back to Abbey Road studios to lay them down before they forgot these complex lyrical and musical wonders... and the rest is history. None of these children ever got paid royalties for writing these classics, yet the Beatles made millions off a bunch of 4 year olds. Lennon & McCartney did ask the teacher for guitar lessons too, but after grade 2 they gave up in frustration. True story (not really :unsure: )

Just heard a song from a couple of others I would have in my long list of #2. Trouble is I'm hung over from all the dust we got into yesterday doing inventory and can only think of one right now [cursing] Just brain drain, not that they aren't really what I love. Here's what I remember I wanted to add: [rolleyes] (I'll edit after all this cotton candy gets out of where my brain use to be).

The Moody Blues

For me, about 5 yrs after I started playing a guitar 45 yrs. ago, I started to gravitate/listen/like music more for the "difficulty factor" of the guitar music piece more than total content. I was listening more to music for technique than for the overall enjoyment/moving factor that I came back too after I quit working on guitar playing years back. This prolly don't make any sense to others, but the groups that I have had a total Renaissance with, once I hit 45 I reckon, were my 1st favs. before I moved on to others that were either more technically this or that, or were "in" just because they were "in." Those groups, count for so many in my LP collection. Now I really don't give a rats fanny if I EVER hear that crap again. For me some of the songs, that release the most joy for me to hear, are not REALLY HARD SONGS to play. It's more of a total BLEND of the music, not unlike a great classical piece (which is still the purest music around and is totally timeless). And I'm not saying that the "Classical" music isn't technically hard to play cuz it is to the MAX. Sure, all the musicians in the orchestra can be excellent, but the great toot the trumpets (brass section) makes, or the wonderful roll on the kettle drums, don't carry "Stravinsky's Firebird" piece. It's the total package that makes it great & lasting. There were other better guitarists than this guy or that, but many that were truly great craftsmen with their tool (guitar I'm speaking of :rolleyes:, might have not been able to dream up a great works to save their lives. Just a ramble while my heads cleaning all the dust back out of my sinuses. [biggrin]

Aster

I totally respect that, and is close to what I usually hear when I bring up this matter. I guess I undertand that those who lived through "Beatlemania" look upon it with a fond reverence that can't really be explained to someone born in 1980. Growing up in a musical family, I just remember being able to put on records like Ginger Baker's Air Force, Chicago, Jethro Tull, The Animals, Band Of Gypsies, James Carr, Sam Cooke, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fleetwood Mac, and others and I would want to dance around the house. I hear Sgt Peppers and I want to wait for the punchline.

The punchline is that all of the other bands/artist you mention (many of which I'm a fan of)put out crap and filler on their albums.

My Ding a Ling anyone?

I don't find much of anything in the Led Zep catalog interesting but I don't jump on forums to voice my dismay over folks that do.

To each his own. \:D/

The punchline is that all of the other bands/artist you mention (many of which I'm a fan of)put out crap and filler on their albums.

My Ding a Ling anyone?

I don't find much of anything in the Led Zep catalog interesting but I don't jump on forums to voice my dismay over folks that do.

To each his own. \:D/

I think you've taken his comments (and mine probably) too personally when you shouldn't. It's always fun on the forum discussing why people do or don't like different groups or guitar players. Some guitar players/ bands that I like forum members have voiced their dismay over. It's interesting why people get annoyed by certain artists and rant on about how terrible they are. It would be very boring if we all loved the same groups and players. One of my good friends loves U2, but I can't stand them, whilst I love a band like the Pixies and he can't stand that. We're still good friends though. I'm not going to fall out with him because he expresses his disdain for a group I love.

You don't care for Led Zeppelin, whereas I love them. It's no big deal, but I appreciate your views and opinions. Even if you said they were the worst band ever and Jimmy Page sucked, that's your opinion and you have every right to express your views.

Peace cookieman

I think you've taken his comments (and mine probably) too personally when you shouldn't. It's always fun on the forum discussing why people do or don't like different groups or guitar players. Some guitar players/ bands that I like forum members have voiced their dismay over. It's interesting why people get annoyed by certain artists and rant on about how terrible they are. It would be very boring if we all loved the same groups and players. One of my good friends loves U2, but I can't stand them, whilst I love a band like the Pixies and he can't stand that. We're still good friends though. I'm not going to fall out with him because he expresses his disdain for a group I love.

You don't care for Led Zeppelin, whereas I love them. It's no big deal, but I appreciate your views and opinions. Even if you said they were the worst band ever and Jimmy Page sucked, that's your opinion and you have every right to express your views.

Peace cookieman

Naw I wasn't taking personally at all. In fact I think you and I are saying the same thing but the OP was who is your favorite old or new.

Understanding why a band is someone's favorite and not yours is irrelevant.

As indicated you've heard all the reasons people find them great but your not swayed which is fine.

I enjoy seeing everyone favorites.

Count me in as another die-hard Beatles fan. Only albums I'm not crazy about are Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine. Important in their own right but not something that I ever really listen to.

Everything else that they did (including their early stuff) is so good, I can't even put words to it!

I agree Dub

4H

Archived