Gibson Brands Forums

Who is your favorite group old or new ?

4Hayden

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Outlaws:

I know Nino Catanzaro who played bass for them during one of their reunion tours. His brother Tom also toured with them a bit too. Tom is an amazing guitar player but he's ego is up there. One time he told me how to play the piano. He blows me away at guitar but he can't even play piano. So I decided to get back at him. We were watching a Steve Vai video. At one point I said "wow, that's a classic 12th diminished turnaround into a 6th augmented Ionian riff." He just nodded his head, like he knew what I was talking about it. I then said "there is no such thing, I just made that up" and then he punched me. I made my point though. [biggrin]

I know Nino Catanzaro who played bass for them during one of their reunion tours. His brother Tom also toured with them a bit too. Tom is an amazing guitar player but he's ego is up there. One time he told me how to play the piano. He blows me away at guitar but he can't even play piano. So I decided to get back at him. We were watching a Steve Vai video. At one point I said "wow, that's a classic 12th diminished turnaround into a 6th augmented Ionian riff." He just nodded his head, like he knew what I was talking about it. I then said "there is no such thing, I just made that up" and then he punched me. I made my point though. [biggrin]

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

rct

If we're talking "Absolute Favorite" band...that would be "The Beatles!!!" Always has been, always will be!

But, there a LOT of other bands I really love, as well!

Stones, Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Animals, Yardbirds, Who,

Cream, Hendrix, Ten Years After, Spencer Davis Group, Traffic,

The Band, Dylan, Jefferson Airplane (NOT "Starship"), Fleetwood

Mac (Both versions), The Pretenders, BB King, Albert King, Freddy

King, on and on and on!! ;>b

CB

For me: I'm with Charlie & others, The Beatles #1 (esp. thru '65)

After that, I'm hard pressed with 40-50 favs that would be #2

CCR, Jimi, Buddy Holly, Pink Floyd, Linda R., Grateful Dead, Dire Straits, etc etc. Long long list. [confused]

New ones: None

Aster

Which rendetition they have had like 50 members I once heard - the outlaws have included almost every Southern rock player at some time?

Yes, a few versions. The one in this picture will do, the two guys in the middle are who matter, along with the original two drummers who were in nearly all versions. Bass player and third guitar player changed a lot. Bring It Back Alive is probably the best example of all the bands that were Hughies Outlaws.

rct

I know I'm going to catch hell or this one, but I don't give a rat. My biggest music question of my lifetime is....What the hell is the big deal with the Beatles?

Honestly, I don't get it. Thier early stuff is vanilla ripoffs of Little Richard, or Smokey Robinson and later when they became "songwriters" I can name several (maybe 2 dozen) groups that where better than the Beatles in every measurable metric of musical influince than the Beatles.

I know they had staying power. They went to the top of the charts alot. But so did Brittiny Spears. At least she's fun to look at.

Every time I'm in a room of musicians and bring this subject up, I nearly get castrated. But I seriously don't get it. I can name at least 20 British Groups that were bigger influinces on today's music and at least as many American. And Pink Floyd and the Beach Boys wouldn't necessarly be the ones I would start with.

Maybe someone can show me the light, or maybe it's all smoke an mirrors. I have all the records. Listened to all of em many times. Like em even. But best ever???? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

I know I'm going to catch hell or this one, but I don't give a rat. My biggest music question of my lifetime is....What the hell is the big deal with the Beatles?

Honestly, I don't get it. Thier early stuff is vanilla ripoffs of Little Richard, or Smokey Robinson and later when they became "songwriters" I can name several (maybe 2 dozen) groups that where better than the Beatles in every measurable metric of musical influince than the Beatles.

I know they had staying power. They went to the top of the charts alot. But so did Brittiny Spears. At least she's fun to look at.

Every time I'm in a room of musicians and bring this subject up, I nearly get castrated. But I seriously don't get it. I can name at least 20 British Groups that were bigger influinces on today's music and at least as many American. And Pink Floyd and the Beach Boys wouldn't necessarly be the ones I would start with.

Maybe someone can show me the light, or maybe it's all smoke an mirrors. I have all the records. Listened to all of em many times. Like em even. But best ever???? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Well, I sorta get where you're coming from but think on this. The Beatles put out their first record in 1963 and broke up 7 years later. In between they put out like 20 records that covered everything from bubble gum pop to experimental epics and they changed everything about making music and recording as they did it. Those 20 bands you could name that have a huge impact on American music probably wouldn't exist without the Beatles to inspire them in the first place.

I don't spend any time at all listening to The Beatles, Jimi, The Stones, Zeppelin, Elvis or many of the other "Greats" but I do understand and appreciate their importance. Instead of looking backward from here try to put your self in a 1965 frame of mind and conciser all that came before the Beatles. How they hell did they come up with "Day In The Life" out of thin air?

How many do we get to pick? I have lots I would choose from but if I could only choose one, I would pick Pink Floyd. I went to their WALL concert for an Anniversary present in the past and it was Assume. The laser effects, building the wall block by block across the whole stage, the blimp flying around the audience, the guitars and music. It topped McCartneys concert with Linda in Ames Iowa decades ago. That would be my 2nd choice and then the Eagles which we've gone to three of their concerts to date.

1. CSN and CSNY (is that two?)

2. Neil Young and Crazy Horse

3. Black Sabbath

4. Deep Purple

5. ELO

6. ELP

7. Head East

8. Marshall Tucker Band

9. Charlie Daniels Band

10. Nickel Creek

11. Alison Krauss and Union Station

I've been around too long, there are many more to list, but these are some that I grew up with and have grown old with.

Yes, The Beatles did "vanilla pop," early on! And damn fine, infectious "Pop/Rock," at that! And, they

also did covers of their hero's music! What band doesn't? But, because they did, they made "black" music,

popular/acceptable (finally), to white audiences, like no other band in history had done, to that point in time.

The Rolling Stones, Animals, Yardbirds, etc. carried that torch even further, as they were more "blues" based,

in their approach. The Beatles may have been more "Vanilla Pop" to begin with, but from the first album on,

they continually redefined themselves, and pushed the boundaries, of "Pop" and Rock, in directions undreamed of,

previously.

Those that have grown up, during the time of "Beatlemania," know the influence(s), and the joyous hysteria

surrounding them. In America, their timing, historically, was perfect! Right after JFK's assassination,

when our hearts were very heavy, and depressed. When Rock & Roll, had been in serious decline, for years.

America and the world were ripe, for their kind of joyous, high energy, "Pop Rock!" Their strength, and

legacy, is that they didn't rest on their laurels, at all! They never made the same records, twice. Every

approach, on every song, or album, was slightly different. That was glaringly obvious, back then! And,

like most great bands, they borrowed bits, from everyone, as well. Not just in Rock, but Folk, Jazz, Blues,

Classical, "Big Band Era," etc. etc. That blending, had never been done, to such an extent, and so successfully,

previous to The Beatles!

Some folks may not care for them. Some folks don't care for Mozart, Bach, or Beethoven, etc., either! That's

one's choice. But "Rock" as it is, and has developed, could not have done so, in so many ways, without The

Beatles! Their music may not be "Dark" enough, for some. Still, they've had some great "Heavier" music, within

their catalog. But, their positive influences have lasted for generations, since, and I think, for generations

to come.

IMHO, as always.

CB

Yes, The Beatles did "vanilla pop," early on! And damn fine, infectious "Pop/Rock," at that! And, they

also did covers of their hero's music! What band doesn't? But, because they did, they made "black" music,

popular/acceptable (finally), to white audiences, like no other band in history had done, to that point in time.

The Rolling Stones, Animals, Yardbirds, etc. carried that torch even further, as they were more "blues" based,

in their approach. The Beatles may have been more "Vanilla Pop" to begin with, but from the first album on,

they continually redefined themselves, and pushed the boundaries, of "Pop" and Rock, in directions undreamed of,

previously.

Those that have grown up, during the time of "Beatlemania," know the influence(s), and the joyous hysteria

surrounding them. In America, their timing, historically, was perfect! Right after JFK's assassination,

when our hearts were very heavy, and depressed. When Rock & Roll, had been in serious decline, for years.

America and the world were ripe, for their kind of joyous, high energy, "Pop Rock!" Their strength, and

legacy, is that they didn't rest on their laurels, at all! They never made the same records, twice. Every

approach, on every song, or album, was slightly different. That was glaringly obvious, back then! And,

like most great bands, they borrowed bits, from everyone, as well. Not just in Rock, but Folk, Jazz, Blues,

Classical, "Big Band Era," etc. etc. That blending, had never been done, to such an extent, and so successfully,

previous to The Beatles!

Some folks may not care for them. Some folks don't care for Mozart, Bach, or Beethoven, etc., either! That's

one's choice. But "Rock" as it is, and has developed, could not have done so, in so many ways, without The

Beatles! Their music may not be "Dark" enough, for some. Still, they've had some great "Heavier" music, within

their catalog. But, their positive influences have lasted for generations, since, and I think, for generations

to come.

IMHO, as always.

CB

I totally respect that, and is close to what I usually hear when I bring up this matter. I guess I undertand that those who lived through "Beatlemania" look upon it with a fond reverence that can't really be explained to someone born in 1980. Growing up in a musical family, I just remember being able to put on records like Ginger Baker's Air Force, Chicago, Jethro Tull, The Animals, Band Of Gypsies, James Carr, Sam Cooke, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fleetwood Mac, and others and I would want to dance around the house. I hear Sgt Peppers and I want to wait for the punchline.

Archived