Gibson Brands Forums

CD, download or streaming?

RobertAndersson

Hi guys,

I'm working on a solo album and just started working on the final mix.

Wondering about the best way to release it. My main plan was to use streaming sites only but I'm not sure.

How do you listen to music?

CD, download, streaming?

//Robert

I buy vinyl or stream legally. CDs are out.

For a first solo album, unless you're from a well-known band... Go the DIY route. FB, Bandcamp, YouTube. See if you get a nibble.

I'm not from the "stealing everything is okay" camp. Nor am I from what I call the camp of "Scott Ian whining". Dude, you have a house with a pool. Your stepdad is Meat Loaf. You'll be fine. I'd share my Ramen, but I only have half a pack for today.

Sour grapes over the fact that they can't pull big audiences anymore, that's what I think.

I'm not from the "stealing everything is okay" camp.

Ditto that!

I stream if I'm checking something out. Then if I like it I buy it.

I love everything about a vinyl record but I just can't bring myself to paying the price I see on records nowadays.

I still have my turntable so playing them is not the problem.

I grew up on it but seeing the price of a vinyl record today just makes my frickin jaw slam the pavement.

CD's are cheap and they sound just fine to my ear and I can play them in my car.

So I do CD's for the most part.

I don't know about you guys but I am stunned at what it costs to buy vinyl today.

I simply refuse.

Always CD, I never download music, I guess I'm old fashioned but I like to have something in my hand that I can keep.

Ian

Yes me too. Still have racks of LPs, boxes of cassettes (home taping and radio concerts), CDs. Used to love listening to a new LP while examining the cover.....now I need a magnifying glass!!

Recently found out if I buy a CD from Amazon I get a free download of the mp3 so I've got 240 tracks there or something!

I try to purchase the CD from the artist website. If it isn't available then I purchase the download from iTunes.

I still use CDs for the car and stereo so anything I purchase from iTunes is immediately burned to disk.

Hi guys,

Wondering about the best way to release it. My main plan was to use streaming sites only but I'm not sure.

CD, download, streaming?

//Robert

I think if putting out music, you want to put it ANYWHERE it will sell, and in any way anyone will listen. Considering cost, of corse.

For my personal listening, it's a minimum of 16 bit CD. So if I LIKE something enough to buy, I want to be able to get as much fidelity as I can. I want to hear the musicians I am paying for.

I am talking CD or vinyl. MP3's are out.

I don't stream or have a good playback for it, so I can't comment on what's available there, but I understand it's MP3 format.

Hi guys,

CD, download, streaming?

//Robert

I am going to offer some advice. Hopefully that's OK. Although I have limited experience I have played in a few bands that were serious enough to record and release material.

I am not sure what your status is (write and record at home, play out here and there, or have a full band and gig/tour a lot), but I would only press CDs if you can sell them. Because CDs are a physical format that costs $$$$, you should only be pressing if

1. There is a demand. You audience is getting bigger and they're hungry to have your music.

2. You gig/tour and need merchandise to sell to pay for gas, beer, promo material, rehearsal space, etc.

Outside of these two things you are going to end up with boxes and boxes of CDs. If you have a handful of people that need CDs, buy a box of blank CDs and some labels and press your own at home.

There is no harm in putting your songs for download on some pay sites. At the very least you should have some songs streamed on your main site so people can preview it. That's how I buy music: I stream it through some legit source and if I like it I find a way to pay the artist either by buying a physical copy of their album or buying it somewhere like iTunes. Vinyl is my favorite format, but with a family and full time job it is tough to find time to relax in the basement with the turntable going.

Good luck and link us some samples when you get a chance.

Streaming totally nowadays. I get heaps of stuff that I've never heard before and can pump it through my stereo inside and outside. Where I'm out of range of the stereo I use a bluetooth speaker, even in the boat fishing!

Pandora is working fine for me and I've never had access to so much material. It's broadening my tastes a lot and introducing me to artists I've never heard before.

Comments about Spotify v/s Pandora?

Good discussions, lots to think about.

Official stats in my home country Sweden (ifpi.se) says that 85% of income from selling music here in 2015 came from streaming.

My band since many years has released four records, the first two on CD, the latter two streaming only. I agree that CD's seem to end up in boxes in the basement...

//Robert

I think you have the stats right. I think there'd be more record sales if theyda LOWERED the prices, just like they did with dvd rental. I still rent movies. The equiv of two euro/3-4 bucks is reasonable to me. I'll buy the vinyl second hand, and stream it beforehand.

I know even THAT'S rare tho... But what can you do.

The one good thing I can think of, off the bat - bands have to tour now. There's a competitive touring circus. I don't think it should be a God-given right for a great songwriter to own a 50-room house. Take the plumber out of the equation, and what do you have...? Mötley's old house, minus 49 rooms.

(Edit: misread)

If it's an album I really want (JoBo is a good example of this) I'll buy the album on CD and them import it all the same, but will have the CD in the Hi-Fi.

If it's something I like the sound of or I'm buying it to explore some new music; I'll download it (legally). I don't stream as I think Spotify and the like aren't fair enough to artists (I know the others aren't perfect, but I think they're better).

A bit of all, actually. I don't do much streaming because the quality is so awful. I'm fine with downloads of 320 kbps or FLAC, but I can't stand the low bit rate stuff. I still buy vinyl occasionally. I will buy CDs also. I just bought the new Sturghill Simpson CD and the Wood Brothers CD, but usually I just rip those at 320k or FLAC and then listen to them on a portable player in the car or in my workshop.

Archived