Gibson Brands Forums

First jam session in 19 years

StRanger7032

I have not played guitar with other people since leaving my college band 19 years ago. I've decided to attend a public jam session in early November. I asked the organizer what genre of music they usually play and if there were any specific songs I should know. All he said was that they usually play country and older rock. Knowing that, I'll be bringing my Tele and brushing up on the country licks. I'm pretty proficient at blues rock lead, so I'm not worried too much about that. The problem is that I don't know any popular songs all the way through anymore. I don't want to look like an idiot up there trying to get through songs I don't know.

So how would you prepare yourself for something like this? How would you get through a song you don't really know? I guess I can just stick to lead, or maybe add some fills since I can at least figure out what key the song is in. I'm sure there are some other things I can do to get ready. Ideas???

Practice, practice and more practice all day long! Lolmsp_flapper.gif Actually I'm the wrong person by far to respond Ranger. If it were me I'd try to get hold of your band mates ASP and find out the song lists unless you guys are just playing requests. In that case I'd die because you are way ahead of me as I only know about 30 songs and only a few all the way through. Country for me is easy as long as I can just play chords and I S??K at lead. I learned Momas don't let your Babies grow up to be Cowboys and My Heroes have always been Cowboys very fast. Achy Breaky Heart is very easy too. Best of luck to you and if you know what you already know I'm betting you will do just fine!

It's a great question STR. I don't know what "jam" sessions are like around your parts but here they

are usually nothing more than guys getting up there and playing a bunch of covers. Which is fine but far

as I'm concerned that's not jamming. I'd rather start, or have someone start something and then everyone come in and join. Improv it. That's how we used to come up with new stuff.

The covers are ok though. If they can tell you the chords of the song you can usually fake it.

Or you can more or less see what they are playing anyway.

But I don't like to 'jam' covers. I'm more comfortable with improv.

But go for it! Don't let fear and common sense get in the way. Go have fun.

It's a jam night. Nobody 'expects' anything.

Practice, practice and more practice all day long! Lolmsp_flapper.gif Actually I'm the wrong person by far to respond Ranger. If it were me I'd try to get hold of your band mates ASP and find out the song lists unless you guys are just playing requests. In that case I'd die because you are way ahead of me as I only know about 30 songs and only a few all the way through. Country for me is easy as long as I can just play chords and I S??K at lead. I learned Momas don't let your Babies grow up to be Cowboys and My Heroes have always been Cowboys very fast. Achy Breaky Heart is very easy too. Best of luck to you and if you know what you already know I'm betting you will do just fine!

Yeah, I'll be doing a lot of practicing! I've been giving my Tele a workout tonight, and doing it standing up with a strap to replicate how I'll actually be playing at the jam session. To clarify, this is not a specific band with a specific set list, its just a night where any local musicians can show up and figure out what to play together. That's why they couldn't give me an idea of what songs to learn.

I would just make sure you're ready to play I IV V and occasional minor VI chord progressions in a bunch of different keys. That, and make sure you know what positions the major and minor pentatonic scales are in for the keys. It shouldn't be too hard to wing it. I'm sure if it's a public jam , they will keep it fairly simple. Probably no Steely Dan or anything like that. [biggrin]

Good luck

I would just make sure you're ready to play I IV V and occasional minor VI chord progressions in a bunch of different keys. That, and make sure you know what positions the major and minor pentatonic scales are in for the keys. It shouldn't be too hard to wing it. I'm sure if it's a public jam , they will keep it fairly simple. Probably no Steely Dan or anything like that. [biggrin]

Good luck

Thanks. Luckily I have all that stuff down without even having to think about it. I'm just worried that they'll call out a song that everyone but me knows and I'll look all stoopid :huh: .

....its just a night where any local musicians can show up and figure out what to play together. That's why they couldn't give me an idea of what songs to learn.

What usually happens is the organisers list how many guitarists, bassists, drummers etc there are then try and make sure everyone gets a go.

So they will probably put you with another guitarist/singer, bass and drummer.

If you can sing then you can call the tune!

Often the older guitar players outnumber everyone else so don't be surprised if you don't get to play much.

Don't grandstand on the solos; there is bound to be someone else who thinks they are there to blow everyone else away and will go on too long.

Jams like these are generally very friendly, and can be a good way of meeting new players and making contacts.

For material ZZ Top is always a good bet, plus blues or rock classics. You will be told what the chords are if you don't know.

The last one I went to was a blues club open night and the singer in my band came along - he sang "Stormy Monday", "Route 66" and "Mustang Sally".

Best wishes!

they usually play country and older rock.

you probably already know as well as any one else that will show up 80% of them already!

A jam is just that, a jam. Just need to feel your way around, no one is going there to audition.

It's all in fun...

Endings of songs will be a hoot, at these kind of jams, they always are!

The only problem you may have after all this time is your ears may not take it too well..

it might get loud!

Good for you!..............msp_thumbup.gif

...I'm just worried that they'll call out a song that everyone but me knows and I'll look all stoopid :huh:...

Yup. That very thing happened to me the first time I played out for over 30 years at a local open mic night a few years ago. "Everyone but me...".......

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but anyway...

We had already played two or three Brit Blues Boom standards and then the singer called for a song which, at the time, I'd never heard before let alone knew how to play. 'The Weight' by The Band.

I said as much and was told (in a far from confident tone of voice);

"Erm....It starts in A, goes to C#m, then D...erm...ehmm...Oh! I'm sure you'll get the hang of it! One , Two, Three and......"

I just had to try to follow the fretwork of the other guitarist. Just as I was getting the hang of it they all looked at me and said "Solo!!!".........msp_scared.gif

I've only played there a handful of times but on every occasion there has been at least one song I've had to wing. It certainly helps focus the mind on the task in hand!

...Don't grandstand on the solos; there is bound to be someone else who thinks they are there to blow everyone else away...

I'd second that. Play with taste, melody and feeling and the chances are folks will enjoy your playing far more than if you threw out unharmonious twaddle at 600bpm. Give your notes some space. Think 'B.B.King' rather than 'Satriani'.

As others have said; these things are intended to be fun. Folks play howlers from time to time. Where's the problem? I doubt I've ever once played any song 'perfect' in my entire life...

Good luck and have a blast!

Pip.

You are obviously experienced, which is the main thing.

Country and classic rock shouldn't throw you too many wobbles. You will probably have learned the song before its finished most of the time!

Nervousness is natural when meeting new people anyway. Jamming is one of the best ways of connecting to people I find. You're practicing now and will likely be just frosty enough to stay alert when you play. Its a great thing you're doing. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks. Luckily I have all that stuff down without even having to think about it. I'm just worried that they'll call out a song that everyone but me knows and I'll look all stoopid :huh: .

Well, around here, if that happens, we just sit that one out. There always enough (too many, really) players, that show up to

these "Jams" or "open mic" nights, that it tends to get a bit "crowded" at times. So, sitting some out, gives other's a chance

to play. And, if you're good enough, they'll ask you back up, or for another jam, at another time, anyway. Players tend to come

and go, all evening. So, not to worry! Just Have Fun!! [thumbup]

CB

dont listen to none of them guys. here's what you wanna do:

wear the tightest leather pants you can squeeze into. tuck them into snakeskin cowboy boots. put a cucumber in your pants. wear the rattiest concert t you can get your hands on, doesn't matter who the band is. walk onto the stage, look the other player up and down with a sneer. chug down most of a 5th of fake jack daniels. pour the rest on your head and let out your most primal scream into the mic. then you stomp all 5 of your boss metal zones, and run to the amp and dime all the knobs. then tear off your shirt and play a rippin 20 minute solo. when you're finished, spit on the floor in disgust and stomp off.

i guarantee the crowd will be your adoring slaves.

Rock-N-Roll-Nightmare_1986-Jon-Mikl-Thor-movie-5-450x314.jpg

dont listen to none of them guys. here's what you wanna do:

wear the tightest leather pants you can squeeze into. tuck them into snakeskin cowboy boots. put a cucumber in your pants. wear the rattiest concert t you can get your hands on, doesn't matter who the band is. walk onto the stage, look the other player up and down with a sneer. chug down most of a 5th of fake jack daniels. pour the rest on your head and let out your most primal scream into the mic. then you stomp all 5 of your boss metal zones, and run to the amp and dime all the knobs. then tear off your shirt and play a rippin 20 minute solo. when you're finished, spit on the floor in disgust and stomp off.

i guarantee the crowd will be your adoring slaves.

'The Oval' tavern, Croydon, 12 Sept 2015?

Was that you???

I thought I was doing pretty well until then.

Bastard.

Pip.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll be good as far as solos and basic chord progressions. I've decided to learn a few classic songs all the way through in hopes that everyone knows at least one. Someone suggested ZZ Top, which is an excellent idea. I think I'll learn "La Grange". I'll probably Learn a few CCR songs too and some classic country songs. Hopefully that will get me through.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that was fun! They played almost all country, but I was at least familiar with most of the songs. I was able to get by looking at the chords the guitarist next to me was playing. I was the only one who stayed the whole time that could play lead, so I did a lot of major pentatonic "chicken pickin" given the genre. There was another guy who seemed like a very good guitarist, but he was wasted and only played for an hour or so before being too drunk to continue. I had a few very good solos, the best one being Waylon and Willie's "Luckenbach, Texas" (the second time we played it). My only major failure was on one of the only non-country songs we played, Billy Joel's "You May Be Right". I gave up on my solo after two attempts that were obviously not in the right key. [cursing]

They seemed impressed with my lead playing and wanted me back next month when they jam again. I'm glad I finally found some people to play music with (at least occasionally). Nineteen years is too long. I'll be working on learning more of their regular songs and maybe bringing a few new ones next time. I might even attempt to sing...maybe.

Glad you had a good time, I think that's what it is all about!

By the way, I'm learning Billy Joel's "You May Be Right" so give me a call when y'all get back together!!! ;)

It seems to be in the key of A, but there's a G thrown in there that confused me and threw off my attempts to solo over it. Damn rock and rollers putting chords where they don't belong! After looking at the song again, my solo should have been in F#mi. Whoops!

It seems to be in the key of A, but there's a G thrown in there that confused me and threw off my attempts to solo over it. Damn rock and rollers putting chords where they don't belong! After looking at the song again, my solo should have been in F#mi. Whoops!

Yes, just wank around in Amaj, that's all I do in that one. It pains me that I never come up with anything good, but they aren't really listening to that one for the solo anyway.

Congrats on a good night for you, and many more!

rct

Archived