Gibson Brands Forums

What the Guild folks think of this one?

Buc McMaster

Spotted this one on Elderly and it looks very, very nice for a guitar pushing 40 years old. Doesn't appear to be a mark on it......original case too. The best part? It's a southpaw! The price seems reasonable, maybe even cheap for a big ol' maple jumbo in this apparent condition. I may well be interested in this one as such things don't come up often for us lefties. Any Guild lovers out there? What's the verdict on the F-50?

Guild F-50

Looks in very good condition being from the 70s. Guild's 17" F series jumbo very comparable to the J-200. The arched back gives it plenty of umph/volume and the maple is great. I got the 12 string version of this one and love it. I'd say the price is at the upper end of the ballpark, but reasonable. I'm curious how you'll decide on this one. . B)

I own a more modern Guild, which doesn't count in this case but I get to play with other guys that have older ones and I find older Guilds to be real sleepers in the tone department. Very nice tone. That one in the pictures looks like it just arrived from the factory. My first impression of the asking price seemed a little high but Elderly is such a reputable house it probably goes a little towards an assurance of accurate representation. If they offer a return policy you'd only be out the freight if you don't like it and it IS a factory lefty. Beautiful guitar. Hard to believe it's a 1978.

A '78 model would be from the Westerly facility, yes? Were the arched backs laminated or carved in that era?

This one sure looks clean, huh. And the shots of the neck/body show what appears to be very, very good action. Saddle and break angle look great. And an original case is icing. The new F-50 lists for just shy of $4K................$1800 doesn't sound out of line to me for a super clean '78 model.

I think I'll call them and talk about this one............

Spotted this one on Elderly and it looks very, very nice for a guitar pushing 40 years old. Doesn't appear to be a mark on it......original case too. The best part? It's a southpaw! The price seems reasonable, maybe even cheap for a big ol' maple jumbo in this apparent condition. I may well be interested in this one as such things don't come up often for us lefties. Any Guild lovers out there? What's the verdict on the F-50?

Guild F-50

As you can see by my signature, I like Guilds a lot. I had one of these in '78 for quite a while. Lots of volume, big bottom, lots of mids. The back is that arched laminate that is loud as h*ll. The price is about right, a little on the high end maybe. It's a maple jumbo, a J-200 but louder. Absolute "banjo-killer" as the Guildies like to call their Guilds.... These do not mic well. Too many overtones. I prefer the JF-47M maple but OM size. A real gem....

Looks excellent.....[thumbup]

And not overpriced IMO

Left-handers can carry a premium or the opposite depending on demand....[unsure]

I bought a low end MIC Guild about 5yrs ago and it has proved to be way above expectation and my favourite 6 string cutaway...[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

A '78 model would be from the Westerly facility, yes?

Yes, Westerly, Rhode Island, if it's indeed a 1978. Can't see the inside sticker. Some say Westerly was a golden era, but really they all were. Despite their many moves, Guilds have stayed remarkably consistent. I absolutely love my F-50R, but it's a solid rosewood back/sides and also a 2011 out of New Hartford, so the comparison may not be worth a lot. I do have the braceless lam arched maple back on my Corona-built Guild JF30-12, and it's a cannon! Love the jumbos. And the nice dark ebony fretboards. Those two Guilds have done more than anything else to innoculate me against flare-ups of GAS. I'm not sure when booster shots are recommended, though. eusa_think.gif

BTW, my 2011, which is in excellent shape, is a gorgeous burst, and has DTAR dual source electronics (not to mention the emeralds inlaid on the tuning posts and bridge pins), was a bit more than 100 bucks less than what Elderly is asking. Of course, they're a business, and I don't know if you pay a little premium because of the rarity of lefties....

The description on that ad is a bit thin. I'd pepper them with questions about the neck angle, string height at the bridge, etc. Then, if all's well, I'd tell them where they can send that beauty!

I've owned 2 D-25's from the 70's Buc, and honestly, I shed them when I compared them to my J45 and a buddy's SJ, which seemed to have a richer harmonic complexity than the Guilds 'boxy' sound. My 'ear' hears it that way. You may find yourself in the situation, having two Gibson dreads already in the house, where it's louder but not 'fuller' than what you're playing. Here are a couple suggestions for something that might give you a different sound in the same price range. Don't know if you get along with smaller guitars, but heck, you do play a uke.

https://reverb.com/item/3761075-martin-000-18-left-handed-2016-natural

https://reverb.com/item/3712106-martin-ceo-7-custom-shop-left-handed

I own both a Gibson J100 Xtra (hog) from 94, and Guild JV-52 (same as F50R, but without the bling). Both Super Jumbo's, and both from the same year. I love the pair of them, for different reasons. The Gibson is warm and thrumpy. The Guild is tighter, louder, a shade brighter, and perfectly balanced. It loves a capo, and has the best intonation of any acoustic I have yet played.

I can happily live with both of mine.

Steve.

I've owned 2 D-25's from the 70's Buc....

I don't know if you can compare the Guild dreads to the jumbos.

Come to think of it, I picked mine up off reverb. It was originally listed at $2100. I watched with widening eyes as the seller reduced it to 1900, then 1700, in rather short order. I figured it was time to PUT IN AN OFFER! Boom. Game over.

AAA spruce top...

f50r557.jpg

The nice thing about buying from Elderly is that they rarely sell an instrument needing immediate or potential work without clearly stating such. In most cases, needed work is done before an item hits the sales floor. The $1800 tag could seem high to me as well, but knowing there aren't any hidden defects can be well worth a few x-tra dollars. Those F-50s are very nice guitars, too!

Instruments they sell on consignment have an asking price and usually a bottom line offer price. If you offer below the bottom line within reason they will take the offer to the owner. Don't be afraid to make an offer. The worse they can say is no.

I am very tempted....still.......but I tell myself I have two fine instruments now and, if I follow through with my notion of playing out again, I more need an amplifier of some sort. Think the Guild appeals to my sense of history more than anything else: it appears to be a very fine example of a prior era of guitar building in America. I will say that if I was still a working man with those big fat paychecks rolling in every week I would not hesitate to pick this one up, but being retired does change things. Still, $1800 does not seem like much money................

I am very tempted....still.......but I tell myself I have two fine instruments now and, if I follow through with my notion of playing out again, I more need an amplifier of some sort. Think the Guild appeals to my sense of history more than anything else: it appears to be a very fine example of a prior era of guitar building in America. I will say that if I was still a working man with those big fat paychecks rolling in every week I would not hesitate to pick this one up, but being retired does change things. Still, $1800 does not seem like much money................

I would think you could talk them down a little

....if I follow through with my notion of playing out again, I more need an amplifier of some sort....

Amps are cheap. rolleyes.gif That F50 looks like it's been in a time capsule for the last 38 years. No electronics, but they can be added. Plenty of saddle. Put in an offer! Let the negotiating begin!

My '74 Guild F-40 (fairly similar to a J-185, but with the arched maple back) came from Elderly & was on consignment. Got a full in-hand description before making a final decision, and it was totally as advertised - a beautifully clean example. With Elderly, you're buying from a quality outfit, and you have a seven-day full return/refund option.

I also have a '94 Westerly JF-30 17" jumbo, with flamed maple back & sides, and the arched back. It's tone is incredibly full & lush. Very much on a par with my Gibson jumbo.

With a current total of five Westerly Guilds, and four more in my past from the '70s, I consider them to be as desirable as a good Gibson, but generally available for far less money. The price on the one you're looking at seems fair, given the apparent condition, and the fact that you're dealing with Elderly.

Hope it works out for you!

I owned an F-50 for a while. I sold it to Jay Ungar (of "Ashokan Farewell" fame) back when he was with the Putnam String County Band. Like all Westerly-built Guilds it was a tank. I sold it not because I did not like the sound but because I could not adapt to the low profile neck and a nut that was a tad shy of 1 11/16"

That, IMHO, is the only downside of buying a Guild. Make sure you can live with the neck profile and nut width. Now and then you'll encounter one that's, to my taste, too shallow and narrow. Remember: they're inherently female😉

Archived