Gibson Brands Forums

Are humans getting dumberer?

'Scales

In our works toilet (no I’m not taking a camera in there!), there is a stupid notice pinned to the wall reading:

DO NOT THROW CHEWING GUM INTO THE URINALS. USE THE BIN

Trouble is that the bin is a large wire basket. It’s never going to fit in the urinals. Idiots!

Went to a seminar at a local club today, ducked into the gents before it started...

Neat row of urinals along the wall...

"Out of Order"

Really???

Thanks for that.

wtf

image_zpsvxpn7kzj.jpg

Was the "Out of Order" one eaten away by the same green gunge thats in the other one?

All kidding aside, my answer to the original question is YES.

Most humans are getting dumber.

Cultural shifts toward political-correctness (at the expense of strength and the truth),

kinder-gentler education systems that both re-write history on the fly and compromise accountability and the truth,

corporate-owned news media that have lost all connections to integrity and the truth,

television programming aimed at the lowest common denominator, celebrating vapid stupidity and ignoring the truth,

and

an obsession with personal digital devices, constant connection to social media, steadily creating a society of texting, stumbling, drooling morons who don't even know the difference between falsehood and the truth.

In my observation anyway.

PS - Please don't view this as a political statement.

I personally don't care for politics, and am an independent free-thinker and truth teller.

I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

:)

And yet another non-political viewpoint. If you reside in the US of A, you might have noticed a few telltale indications of extreme stupidity and the immediate results thereof just lately. Or maybe you haven't. Either way, I have to believe that even the most ignorant among us are capable of learning by experience - at least I hope so😇

I can say with some measure of confidence that the sign and associated tape (that you see in the photo) was originally hung above an older urinal with a conventional chrome pull-flush-handle.

The old urinal was malfunctioning in some fashion, and the sign was taped above it and to it.

"Please don't pee in this one, it's broken," was the implied message.

Workman came in, eventually, and removed the offending urinal.

They didn't, however, remove the sign.

That is all.

Not much more to say.

:mellow:

If you have never watched a movie called "Idiocracy", you should. When I first watched it I thought it was silly and a little overdone. Then I realized it's really not that far off...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

Oh, I love that movie - and it's not far off. I've been teaching for 27 years, so I have some first hand experience here. The families with the most education are having the fewest children and vice-versa. It's becoming very much a have and have-not situation. Many of my lower socioeconomic status students are essentially raising themselves. This does not usually work out well. The Idiocracy cometh.

What's interesting though is that nationally our students are testing at higher levels than ever before. SAT and ACT scores have soared over the last two decades. Programs like "No Child Left Behind" are viewed successes because of these scores.

What we are losing though is the proverbial "common sense" - problem solving, logic, critical thinking, etc. I find my students can memorize and regurgitate but they can't "think" a problem through from start to finish or follow an idea to logical conclusion.

I can say with some measure of confidence that the sign and associated tape (that you see in the photo) was originally hung above an older urinal with a conventional chrome pull-flush-handle.

The old urinal was malfunctioning in some fashion, and the sign was taped above it and to it.

"Please don't pee in this one, it's broken," was the implied message.

Workman came in, eventually, and removed the offending urinal.

They didn't, however, remove the sign.

That is all.

Not much more to say.

:mellow:

This was my first thought.

Many things that may look stupid actually have a perfectly good explanation.

One time I was hiking with a girl I was dating, there was a vine hanging from a couple of trees, right in the middle, she asked how can a vine have climbed I such way, I said, probably there was a tree there long ago. The vine had moved on to the other trees and remained in place after the original tree was long gone.

one thing that we all have in common is that we think we are the better driver on the road or that we are are smarter than others.

Apparently the new way of ruining your brain is smartphones. The old way was TV.

If you have never watched a movie called "Idiocracy", you should. When I first watched it I thought it was silly and a little overdone. Then I realized it's really not that far off...

...Oh, I love that movie - and it's not far off...

I'd never even heard of it before today (which is hardly surprising if you read, via wiki, how shabbily the makers were treated by Fox) but I read the Wiki entry and watched the clips and it's now definitely on my 'To See' list!

Thanks for the head's up, guys!

msp_thumbup.gif

P.

I remember back when I was buying a house and the blurb for one included a rundown of its good points...

"..., seperate dining room and toilet,...."

'Classy idea!', thought I.

[blink][laugh]

(and before the left-brain guys explain in fine detail what they meant, like the toilet sign etc, I know, I know...it's just whimsy, not whodunit [tongue] - trouble with the internet is that ya can't tell I'm not a total f'ken idiot [laugh] ).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

"Not that far off"?! It's a fcking documentary! Mike Judge showed the future of the U.S.A. in that film and we're living it now. Ugh..

Archived