Gibson Brands Forums

Tear Jerkers

kaleb

Everyone has at least one song that makes them emotional (or at least I'd hope so!). Mine would be one of John Lennon's most underrated compositions, "Yes It Is", the B-side of "Ticket To Ride". I don't know what it is, it just does it to me every time. "This Boy" is another one that triggers the waterworks. Aside from being emotionally driven songs to begin with, they make me think about John and how the world would be a better place if he was still with us.

I would vote for an orchestral piece as one of the most sorrowful pieces I've heard (but there are many great ones).

This always makes me somber, but in a good way. Amazingly beautiful piece by one of my favourite composers Mr Arvo Part.

This one, was the first (that I remember) that evoked that emotion. Makes me think of my Dad,

who passed when I was 12...it was his favorite "Classical" piece. Still gives me watery eyes,

and "goose bumps," at the same time.

CB

Sorry to hear that about your Dad CB. Yes, Debussy composed some of the finest emotive piano works of his time and Clair De Lune is certainly a great piece to add to the thread [thumbup]

Sorry to hear that about you Dad CB. Yes, Debussy composed some of the finest emotive piano works of his time and Clair De Lune is certainly a great piece to add to the thread [thumbup]

Thanks, Cody...it was a long time ago (55 years), but this song always brings back all those emotions, and all the good stuff, too! [biggrin]

CB

Always and Forever by Heatwave

My parents loved slow dancing to this song when my band played it back in the 70s. Mom's still here but Dad's gone 6 years now. He always encouraged me in my music and bought me my first 3 guitars. Brought home drums for me and always let us practice in the basement or garage no matter how awful sounding we were.

This ones for you Dad.

https://youtu.be/SslyG1f8NZE

I couldn't think of any song that would bring tears to me. I would suppose if a tragic event just happened and the right song played on the radio or at a sad movie and the song plays you would get tears but I've never cried because of a song. I have a huge list I could close my eyes and just play over and over again!

Probably a little cliche, but "Cat's In The Cradle".

Also, maybe because of all the poignant imagery from The Civil War documentary, "Ashokan Frewell" can put a lump in the throat. Especially when played over the reading of this letter... Spoiler alert. He dies at the end. :-({|=

All the music I like is touching me, and this includes sadness. The emotions stimulated by a certain song, in particular its lyrics, may have changed over the years, kinds and intensities as well.

The first one is a song having been hitting me down to the mark since its release. I guess I linked it to another thread in a different context in the past. The final line played by the contrabassoon, starting with the last words of the lyrics "bit," sounds downright eerie to me.

- To be continued in my next post -

The next song was released in 1989 but really started to hit me twenty years later when my marriage began to fall apart irreversibly. I can relate with Madonna Ciccone thinking what I went through with my ex-wife for several years.

As a father of a son who into the bargain is certified car mechatronic, and of a daughter, I also can relate to the topic of the following song. I find myself best in the latest three pictures of the video.

Guest Farnsbarns

All the music I like is touching me, and this includes sadness. The emotions stimulated by a certain song, in particular its lyrics, may have changed over the years, kinds and intensities as well.

The first one is a song having been hitting me down to the mark since its release. I guess I linked it to another thread in a different context in the past. The final line played by the contrabassoon, starting with the last words of the lyrics "bit," sounds downright eerie to me.

- To be continued in my next post -

I believe that's the same album as Bkack Bummer I posted earlier. Love Harry Chapin.

Can't get this vid over here but that's one of his best ever songs....off a classic album! [thumbup]

I can't get the video either, but concur with jdgm. One of my favourite versions of the song was from the Red Rocks DVD from around 2000. I actually like this version better than the Rust Never Sleeps version, even though that is excellent too. Also, have you guys ever heard the original acoustic version from around 1976/77? It was intended to be on the unreleased Chrome Dreams, but before that on another unreleased acoustic album called Hitchhiker which is supposed to be being released finally next month!

My favorite Lindsey and Stevie live doing Never Going Back Again has been pulled off the web! Something about copyright... rolleyes.gif That was a real tear jerker.

This 'alternative' with Tom Petty and Stevie Learning to Fly is pretty darn close.... (Love that jumbo Gibson!) But really, any exceptional display of musical talent can do it for me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p_f7Df2-oM

Archived