Gibson Brands Forums

Different gauge strings on same model guitars

brad1

So I have a '96 Traditional Strat that I have set up with 10s. All my guitars have 10s on them, including my 2 Telecasters.

Recently I got a new Standard Strat MIM. It had 9s on it. I think I'm keeping them on. I like the way it plays and feels and sounds like it is.

Now I have tried 9s before, but never liked them on a Strat in the past. But now, I think I do.

Part of it is out of laziness. I don't want to have to buy a new nut and replace it by putting on 10s. The nut on it right now is cut very nicely for 9s, so I think I'm going to just leave it alone.

So now I will have 10s on my '96 and 9s on my '17. Is this strange? Does anybody else have something like this?

Now the truth is they are very different guitars. The '96 has a maple fretboard, different pickups and is made of Poplar. The '17 has Pau Ferro, and is made of Alder. But they still both have that same scale length, and each have a full floating trem on it as well.

I have since played my '96 Strat, and I think I want to keep the 10s on it.

I don't know why, but for some reason I feel like I should have the same gauge on each.

On the other hand, I ask myself, "What's wrong with it?".

Anybody do something similar?

I have 11s on Gibsons. Strat and Tele I use 10s.

Just feels better, a little more control and articulation on the longer scale length.

OTOH I have a couple of archtops with the same long scale and it has to be 11s at least on those......

it's all good.

[thumbup]

Nothing weird about it. I have 11-49 on my 77 Tele and 87 Strat but most of the time I use 10s on a solid body. I believe I have 10s on my 71 LP. Go with what suits the guitar.

I’m betting you could go to 10s and not fiddle with the nut one bit. Just my opinion. But if 9s suit, so be it.

I have 10's on all my elec's except for these:

A PRS set up for slide with 11's (need to practice more)

A Gretsch hollow body with 11's per my luthier because "they'll sound better"

My Tele with 9's (because that's what it came with and I like 'em)

Other guitars are a mix of semi's, solids, hollow's, P90's, Humbuckers, Single coil, etc

In any event, they're all easier to play than my acoustics which have 12-53's.

Short answer,is no, you're not weird LOL.

I used 9s for many years.. I really like the Hybrid Slinkies now... 9s on the high and 10s on the bass strings.. Works really well for me.

Yup, same here. I use them on every guitar I own.

Since back in the 80's I used GHS Boomers in the 9-46 "custom light" and when they became hard to find at my local shops I switched to the 9-46 Ernie Ball hybrid slinky.

I've tried so many strings over the years.......8's, regular 9's. 10's, 11's, the "thin and thick" blends, many different brands, etc.

It all comes down to personal preference........if a certain combination works on a certain guitar and is what you like you will "sound better".

NHTom

Some guitars just seem to need a different string size. Although I use 10-46 on all working guitars, one is harder to play. I could just use a lighter set, but I actually like the difference. Its part of that guitars character.

I've used a unique mix on my Fylde for years. I buy a 12-60 set and a spare 10. I discard the G (24 wound 3rd), I then use the 16 as the 3rd and the 12 as the 2nd. I then use the spare 10 as e (1st).

I did something similar on my Jackson for many years too.

Do what feels best!

Yup, same here. I use them on every guitar I own.

Since back in the 80's I used GHS Boomers in the 9-46 "custom light" and when they became hard to find at my local shops I switched to the 9-46 Ernie Ball hybrid slinky.

I've tried so many strings over the years.......8's, regular 9's. 10's, 11's, the "thin and thick" blends, many different brands, etc.

It all comes down to personal preference........if a certain combination works on a certain guitar and is what you like you will "sound better".

NHTom

Yeah, I never thought id move away from 9s as ive been using them all my playing life.. Even when I get acoustic strings :D But the first time I tried them, something just felt so right.. Cant say I can hear much difference but they just feel right.

I have also been recommending them to all my customers.. And not surprisingly I guess, the guys who only used 10s before noticed the difference in bending and stuff and the guys who only used 9s before said they liked the slightly heavier strings for rhythm playing..

I know they wont be for everyone but they seem to go down well with quite a lot of people.

10s on solids

11s on semi-hollows

12s on hollows (including acoustics)

I know I use too much downward pressure with my left hand, so that makes it more difficult for me to play 9s on key when chording.

I have also been recommending them to all my customers.. And not surprisingly I guess, the guys who only used 10s before noticed the difference in bending and stuff and the guys who only used 9s before said they liked the slightly heavier strings for rhythm playing..

Exactly why I settled on them. My left hand is quite whimpy, so they help for bends, and my right hand tends to overpower the strings, so bottom end for rhythm.

NHTom

I've used Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (9's) for so long, that they're on all of my guitars. I mostly use them because I don't seem to break them very often. Two in 30+ years is a pretty good average for me.

But, I can see how different guitars would feel different or better with different strings. Whatever works, right?

I use different strings on different guitars.

Electrics- I like 11's on any strat tuned Eb or below. 10's on anything else thats either gibson scale length or tuned to E

Acoustics- I like 12's

I'm feelin' a little better. :unsure:

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. :)

I had a Strat or two, ages ago, and I always preferred (sp?) 9s on Strats.

So one Strat feels better with 9s and one with 10s. So? Two guitars, even of the same make and model as well as year, are microscopically different from one another.

Being able to feel the difference in what gauge strings feel best on each one is what makes someone an... ENTHUSIAST! :D Believe you me, you're not alone!

Being able to feel the difference in what gauge strings feel best on each one is what makes someone an... ENTHUSIAST! :D Believe you me, you're not alone!

Its for that reason Im quite glad half sizes are becoming more popular. I'd like to experiment with them more

Archived