Gibson Brands Forums

Singing and playing guitar?

LWAG

Me just now.

Decided to try and learn this song.

I'm also deciding learning how to sing and play guitar.

What are your thoughts on singing and playing?

Mine, are, it's a little challenge/something to work on.

...When I sing, dogs howl for blocks away, cats run and hide, and birds fall from the sky in agony...

Is that a line from a Howlin' Wolf composition? Because if it isn't it certainly should have been!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

EDIT : That came out wrong! No aspersions cast in the direction of the utterly magnificent HW was intended!

it takes time/practice, much of your playing has to go on auto pilot. with work it all comes eventually. I've been doing it for so long I don't even think about it.

FWIW, this ^^

Is that a line from a Howlin' Wolf composition? Because if it isn't it certainly should have been!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

EDIT : That came out wrong! No aspersions cast in the direction of the utterly magnificent HW was intended!

Reminds me of the song Tail Dragger (which was originally written by Willie Dixon who was pretty awesome if you’ve never checked him out)

It's like learning left and right hand piano to me when they are doing different things.

Learn the guitar part first, practice until extremely comfortable with it (preferably memorized).

Practice the vocals until extremely comfortable

Put the two together.

The more you do it, the easier the next song will be. But you have to put in the time, it isn't instant gratification for most of us.

Notes

Well worth the effort.....[thumbup]

It opens up all those performing opportunities, casual amongst friends and paid gigs.....[thumbup]

Start with easy 2 and 3 chord songs.....eg.....Wild Thing, Peggy Sue, Jambalaya, Glad All Over......

Practice solo and/or with friends.....

Enjoy

Big time.....dry.gif

V

:-({|=

I'm at the 'Don't forget to breathe stage'...

That little delay in my guitar solo in that thing I shot out (note to self, learn the solo)! - Was me catching my breath - I remember when it was time for the guitar solo, I was playing, but I stood back and breathed again, then focused on guitar.

Not everyone needs to follow this sort of method, but it would benefit anybody.

1/ I would say begin with one or the other (guitar is easier the begin with), and get the intonation right. Practice.

When that is right, do it some more to consolidate it. Then it should be pretty easy.

2/ Then record the perfected guitar part.

3/ (leave the guitar alone) Begin playback of the guitar part and sing along. Practice the vocal only. Do it some more to consolidate.

4/ Then record the voice, but isolate it. To do that, have the guitar playback through headphones only and sing directly into the mic.

Listen to the voice on its own and evaluate the timing and intonation. Practice.

5/ When both parts are as good as they can be, try doing it together. It almost certainly wont be as good as the separately recorded versions, but it gives you something to aim for.

I learned to sing and play when I first learned to play guitar (a long time ago now). I started on acoustic, and for a long time bashing out cowboy chords to accompany myself singing was what I did.

Over time, I've got better at both. I took night classes in singing, learned about breath control, improved the power and range of my voice, and eventually got the hang of singing harmony. I got an electric guitar and learned to play lead. Finally, I had a mid-life crisis and formed a band, in which I'm the sole guitarist and sing about half the songs.

Some songs are harder to sing and play than others. My Sharona, for example, has quite a straightforward guitar part, but the rhythm of it is different to the rhythm of the vocal part, so it took me a lot of practice before I could do it. Same goes for Riverboat Song. Both are now part of our repertoire. I can't sing as well when I'm playing as I can when I can give singing my full attention, but I rarely get to do that. And I play better on those songs our other singer, Anne, sings.

breathing is just about one of the most important things to get straight. you don't need a lot of air, and you don't want to push too hard either. Pushing to hard will drop the pitch and close the diaphragm. it just wont sound good. (my vocal teacher used to say.. "when you reach, you screech")

You really can't focus on the guitar much, let the muscle memory handle the playing. most of your concentration will be on the voice.

You want to concentrate on making "good sounds" with the voice, and do remember that every note you'll sing, is just as important as any other note. The start of a verse is no more important than the end. Make sure you have the wind to finish your phrasing. If you are practicing this on songs that you're working on you will learn in the songs you are playing/singing "When" to breath. Muscle memory works for the voice too.

A good way to practice, headphones, acoustic guitar, into a soundboard. Many have built in fx, you can use a little bit of verb (AFTER you get a handle on things) to help give you some "space". This will really help you zero in on pitch, breathing, and how to time it all.

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

I'm not sure if it is but I'm definitely a Howlin' Wolf fan.

For me, singing along with playing comes pretty naturally. My problem is my voice is horrible and I have trouble hitting the right note. But at least it's in time. rolleyes.gif

Learning to breathe properly is most important.

When inhaling your diaphragm goes down, your chest stays the same size and your belly expands.

Tighten your abdominal muscles as if you are preparing for someone to punch your gut - this gives you breath support which makes the tone better as well as pitch control.

Relax your throat while you exhale, keeping your gut muscles tight and slowly bring your navel back towards your spine.

If you sing a lot without breathing properly, not only will you not sing as well, but you might damage your vocal chords so you can not sing.

Notes

Some songs are harder to sing and play than others. My Sharona, for example, has quite a straightforward guitar part, but the rhythm of it is different to the rhythm of the vocal part, so it took me a lot of practice before I could do it...

Yeah man. I hate when they say Sharona and we haven't done it in a while, it's really hard to get that arm going and the vocals without a recent time through.

Long Train Running still gets me for the first verse.

Jumpin Jack Flash used to plague me but at some point long ago it was ok and I now look forward to it most nights.

Play while walking around is the best advice I have for the original post. Do two things at once whenever you practice, it helps you do two things at once when you have to, which is most of the time when you are playing.

rct

I think it's important to start out with a good song. One you know, that is in a clean key with a melody that is clean. Christmas songs are good to learn how to hit all the right notes - we all know them - but if you sing it acappella facing a wall or right up in a corner so you hear yourself - it will help you realize when you're singing the right note. I'd steer away from trying to learn how to sing while playing the guitar. Get to first base at least with the singing - then bring in the guitar. Again, with easy songs. Your 'God Save The Queen" is probably a good song to master to develop your ear and build confidence.

The way I learn anything (generically) on piano or guitar is to practice slowly while being very intentional what notes I am articulating - making sure that I am not enforcing any bad habit or incorrectness in the slow sessions. After time - and time dedication is the most important part of improving via practice - you will get up to tempo.

Just start playing your guitar and sing along. It's rock and roll man.

Well worth the effort.....[thumbup]

It opens up all those performing opportunities, casual amongst friends and paid gigs.....[thumbup]

Start with easy 2 and 3 chord songs.....eg.....Wild Thing, Peggy Sue, Jambalaya, Glad All Over......

Practice solo and/or with friends.....

Enjoy

Big time.....dry.gif

V

:-({|=

Those above I can do, and House of the Rising Sun, Little Deuce Coupe and more but songs like American Woman, and others I just have to concentrate on playing more and get screwed up if I try to sing.

It helps to understand what does and doesn't work for your particular brain. Some people are more right brained or that kind of thing.

I can sing and think "right hand" and get the tempo right. But if I start thinking "left hand" for more than an instant then I can't concentrate on singing and I'll lose the groove.

You have to kind of put all your effort into whatever it takes to get the singing right and keep the groove, and then play the guitar as long as it doesn't mess up your singing. Nobody really cares what your playing while your singing except the back of your mind.

Try concentrating on your different hands while you're singing and see whether you sing better when you're thinking about your right hand vs. left hand playing. That may give you some insights into what works best.

It helps to understand what does and doesn't work for your particular brain. Some people are more right brained or that kind of thing.

I can sing and think "right hand" and get the tempo right. But if I start thinking "left hand" for more than an instant then I can't concentrate on singing and I'll lose the groove.

You have to kind of put all your effort into whatever it takes to get the singing right and keep the groove, and then play the guitar as long as it doesn't mess up your singing. Nobody really cares what your playing while your singing except the back of your mind.

Try concentrating on your different hands while you're singing and see whether you sing better when you're thinking about your right hand vs. left hand playing. That may give you some insights into what works best.

Yep! And then when I get the singing down and think I'm playing the guitar with it, Deb runs in my room and tells me, Thats Not how it goes! You got the timing way off and then finds the song on her cell phone and plays it. After she's done I try again and get more criticism so I shut up and just play the guitar or put it away and do it again when she's not around. That works Best!msp_flapper.gif

Learning to breathe properly is most important.

When inhaling your diaphragm goes down, your chest stays the same size and your belly expands.

Tighten your abdominal muscles as if you are preparing for someone to punch your gut - this gives you breath support which makes the tone better as well as pitch control.

Relax your throat while you exhale, keeping your gut muscles tight and slowly bring your navel back towards your spine.

If you sing a lot without breathing properly, not only will you not sing as well, but you might damage your vocal chords so you can not sing.

Notes

That is seriously great advice. I would take lessons from you. I was so humiliated when I was young and tried singing, I gave up entirely. Only for about a year now have I dared try again, in my late 40's. It is too much fun I decided if anyone or anything runs away, so be it. (They will just miss that one time I accidentally do something brilliant), Im just going to enjoy myself while I can. so, the first cover I started on, is Old Time Rock n Roll. It is really nice and simple. Of course I am not bob segar but i realized I never will be, so I sort of kicked up the marshall and made it MY song, a little heavier than the original and the most important thing i want to say is. even my terrible singing has gotten better by finally taking out my balls and trying. so no matter how bad you may be, you CAN get better by learning and practice.

That is seriously great advice.<...snip...>

I learned breath support in school band, it's the same for all wind instruments, including voice.

Without proper breath support you can ruin your voice, the stress on the vocal chords can give you nodules. Once you get these, there are 3 options (1) Completely stop singing for a few years until they heal (2) end up with a voice like a frog (3) have them surgically removed with a 50% chance it will work, or a 50% chance you will never sing again. Julie Andrews took that chance, had enough money to get the best doctor, and lost. Stevie Nicks ended up with the frog voice.

Tony Bennett uses proper technique, and in his 90s he can still sing well.

Plus with proper breath support you will have a better voice, and it will be easier to sing on pitch. After you get breath support, work on relaxing your larynx muscles and filling the resonant chambers in your head.

Every instrument takes proper technique and many hours of practice.

I was not a natural singer. Even with good breath support. But in bands I was in we had trouble finding and keeping singers, so I decided to learn how. I started with easier songs, not too much range, not many large pitch jumps, and songs that don't need a lot of ornamentation. I sang a lot, and as I got one song down, did another and another, trying to sing as many songs per night as I could sing, and sing well. Now I do about half the songs per gig. I'll never be a great singer like Mark Murphy because I lack a great instrument, but I am a damn good one.

Like the sax, flute, guitar, bass, drums, keys and wind synth, it took learning the proper technique and putting in the required hours of practice. And since I gig for a living, I get bonus practice hours on stage.

IMO if you don't learn proper breathing and breath support, you are asking to be less than adequate.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived