Gibson Brands Forums

Thanks

brad1

Tomorrow we (in the US) celebrate what we are thankful for. 

I'm thankful for being able to come visit my 83 year old Mom.  And she is doing well. 

Im thankful for guitars and drums and music and friends and family. 

And I'm thankful for God being at the center of my life.  

How 'bout you?

• Like 3

I'm thankful I can make a living doing music and nothing but music

I'm thankful for the most wonderful lady in the world agreeing to marry me 41 years ago

I'm thankful my wife is also a great singer and a damn good guitarist and synth player so we can gig together

I'm thankful we both have excellent health (without that you have nothing)

I'm thankful for my audience in both my duo, The Sophisticats and my Band-in-a-Box aftermarket business, Norton Music

I could go on and on, these are just the highlights.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Like 3

I'm thankful for my wife and my 2019, one of a kind, Gibson Gold Top Custom with a 60's profile thin tapered neck and custombucker pickups.

And I am extra thankful that as a teenager I taught myself how to play guitar with the goal in mind of one day getting la......well you know.

• Like 4

Nice dinner with pop and my younger brother who has come out this side of some serious AML/FLT3/ITD, bone marrow transplant in April, and now back at work trying to make life again.  It's been tough, dicey, and good all at once.  I was glad to give him my stuff and Mrs and I are ecstatic that he is moving along nicely now.  A great Thanksgiving dinner tonight.  

rct

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, rct said:

Nice dinner with pop and my younger brother who has come out this side of some serious AML/FLT3/ITD, bone marrow transplant in April, and now back at work trying to make life again.  It's been tough, dicey, and good all at once.  I was glad to give him my stuff and Mrs and I are ecstatic that he is moving along nicely now.  A great Thanksgiving dinner tonight.  

rct

You are a good brother, rct. 
😑

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

You are a good brother, rct. 
😑

Thank You.  I was a 6/10 match, perfect as we could get in his case.  He didn't think I would do it, and we still don't know why he thought that.  Or didn't think that I guess.  Both of us pushing 60, this transplant welded us together in ways we didn't ever think possible.  Nobody left to see it but, that's the cards we got.

rct

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, rct said:

rct

Sounds like a great family thanksgiving you had there.

If you don't mind me asking, what stuff did you give him? 

• Like 1

Stem Cell Transplant.  They killed his bone marrow, turned it off completely.  Chemo and radiation.  So by April 3rd he had no immune system left at all, no low level stem cells to do anything at all, but most important, not to make leukemic stem cells.

I laid there for 5 and a half hours without moving, giant needle in my right arm taking my blood out, spinning it through a centrifuge, warming it up, putting it back in my left arm.  You can't bend your arms at all, and I didn't even have to pee for the whole time.

Took the gunk at the bottom of the centrifuge away about 4.30pm, did some stuff with it.  By the time Mrs and I got to dinner he was having the gunk put in.  Then comes the scary part, getting to day 100.  By that point in July when I took him home finally,  he was well on his way to a pretty good recovery.  He was hospitalized Halloween 2018, got out in July, went back to work on...Halloween 2019!

That was a year we'd both like back.

rct

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What a gift you gave to your brother. 

That sounds like a very tough thing to do.  I would have an extremely difficult time laying still for 5 hours. 

But I would have done it for my Bro too. 

Thanks for reflecting on that experience. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rct said:

Stem Cell Transplant.  They killed his bone marrow, turned it off completely.  Chemo and radiation.  So by April 3rd he had no immune system left at all, no low level stem cells to do anything at all, but most important, not to make leukemic stem cells.

I laid there for 5 and a half hours without moving, giant needle in my right arm taking my blood out, spinning it through a centrifuge, warming it up, putting it back in my left arm.  You can't bend your arms at all, and I didn't even have to pee for the whole time.

Took the gunk at the bottom of the centrifuge away about 4.30pm, did some stuff with it.  By the time Mrs and I got to dinner he was having the gunk put in.  Then comes the scary part, getting to day 100.  By that point in July when I took him home finally,  he was well on his way to a pretty good recovery.  He was hospitalized Halloween 2018, got out in July, went back to work on...Halloween 2019!

rct

All credit too you for that mate, well done that man👍

• Like 2

21 hours ago, rct said:

rct

Truly a gift of life. What a great brother, great man. You can lose all of your material possessions and it doesn't come close to what he is going through, not even close. And I'm sure the emotional strain  you have gone through. 

Edited by Tman
needed to say more.
  • Like 2