Gibson Brands Forums

New Ernie Ball String Gauges

Rabs

.5? wow. I am probably not sensitive to tell the difference between a 9, and a 9.5 although I can tell between a 9 and a 10. 

Kind of like the shaving razor market. I remember SNL making fun of adding more blades...until it became the norm.

For a long time in the 80s I was obsessed with string gauges and used to buy EB singles to make up a set of 12,15,17p,30,40,50 for my archtop semi. 

10.5 set looks like  one to try  - Mondo Slinky....[laugh]  

EBs - good sound and response, generally very reliable in my exp.  Industry standard.

[thumbup]

Edited by jdgm

I've been using Darcos lately.  When we were kids everyone, including me, was using Darco Funkies.  They are making them again as of last year and I got a deal on bulk so I went for it.  I'm pleased with them.

rct

17 minutes ago, Kahuna Nui said:

I like the look of the new Mighty Slinky.  I use 9's on my LP, but I really wanted to go back to 8's.  However, the last time I nearly bought some, I got shamed out of it.

slinky.jpg

Maybe Mark will let me get away with 8.5

If that is the real Mark Agnessi he need to be smacked with a baseball bat.  That guy is every tool in the tool shed, where his dad fondles his genitalia on a regular basis. I think The Rev (Billy Gibbons) uses 8's. Last I checked he's no slouch.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

18 minutes ago, Kahuna Nui said:

It is, and he isn't.  He's one of the nicest people I know.  He was just joking ffs. If more people had a sense of humour, and stopped trying to find fault with everything he says and does, they might start enjoying life a little more.

I do have a sense of humor, but he rubs me the wrong way, as he does a lot of other people with with his pompous smugness. 

So if you get those 8's I can ask my wife for you what a good tampon brand is. See a sense of humor.

I'm here all week by the way. Loved Bill and Opus. Aaack!

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Not to be pedantic, but 9.5 strings would be 9 and 1/2 inches thick.  It's .0095 and so on.. We call that 5 in the 4th decimal place (.0005) a half thousandth and it represents the thickness of about a sheet of paper sliced 8 times. Can't imagine there being any noticeable difference.

OMG!!! I am more known for my stand-up than my music by far. However, I have told the heir to my throne  (American Standard)  who is my oldest boy, if I was to get this skunked out at my old age to please use a feather pillow...

Just a comment to my dear friends that are a DLR VH fan, Sammy is stilling kicking it hard!!   ...and he plays a mean Les Paul!!!

Edited by Big Bill

5 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

OMG!!! I am more known for my stand-up than my music by far. However, I have told the heir to my throne  (American Standard)  who is my oldest boy, if I was to get this skunked out at my old age to please use a feather pillow...

Just a comment to my dear friends that that are a DLR VH fan, Sammy is stilling kicking it hard!!   ...and he plays a mean Les Paul!!!

Yeah but Ronnie when alive made Sammy's playing look silly.