Gibson Brands Forums

You’re Probably Using The WRONG Guitar Strings

Rabs

See what you reckon..  To me, I have always thought 9s were great.. Till I tried the Hybrid Slinkys which I still think give you the best of both worlds.. 10s on the bass end for rhythm work and 9s on the high end for lead.. Never tried 8s though... 

and a follow up

• Like 2

I watched all that with great interest, and the 'SRV' video as well, over on the Strat forums. 

Truth be told, I have tried a variety of string gauges over the years, and 8's are just too slinky. 
Everything goes sharp for me, even when I use the lightest of touches. 

😞
favorite-slinky-s-png.379127

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, rct said:

I didn't even watch the videos and I know I'm not using the wrong gauge.

rct

The first vid is quite interesting..  Its not like they are actually telling anyone they are using the wrong strings, that's just a title.. Its just an interesting little test...

• Like 1

I watched a little bit. Shouldn't they have played clean for clearer results on bass (and treble) frequencies? I used 11's on solid bodies for years and then changed to 10's in the last few years. 9's too flimsy... and I have never tried 8's in almost 29 years of playing!

I had nothing to do so popped in, Interesting. I'm with RCT, didn't watch the video. I've been playing for 67 years and used 11's most of that time. Didn't change to 10's till about 4, maybe 5 years ago and tried 9's about 3 years ago. I love them the best.  Very easy to do bends and they don't hurt the fingers. (I have arthritis)  Never in my life have I tried 8's and probably never will.  I tried about every brand of strings  including the highest cost ones.  

• Like 1

I like Rick Beato and watch a lot of his videos. However I couldn't hear much difference in the string gauges in this video.

IMO the difference is more in how they feel or play not so much the tone. I've used both .009 and .010 and probably even tried .011 on my old Strat back in the 90s. I've settled into .010 because I prefer to feel the string fight back just a little when I play and that seems to be a good compromise.  Not so heavy that it hurts but not so light that I barely feel them. Don't believe I've ever tried .008 unless maybe on someone else guitar.  

I don't watch YT like I used to.  It's just full of a lot of click bait these days and loaded with advertisements - even though you don't know you're being advertised to IN THE VIDEOS by the video itself.  Trust me, do a couple searches for Gibson Les Paul, and NAMM 2020 will bombard your feed and you'll also get every **** and Jane video made by every hack out there doing poor comparisons on their pedals, amps, whatever.  Only if I had some project and I search for something specific MAYBE I will find something that is actually worthy of my approval.  The comments on YT are just trashy as well.  So mean these days.  It's a big "like" war or something or other. 

Pertaining to the Beato video...  This guy makes so many videos, his content has suffered IMHO.  When you full-time pump crap out, YouTubers content suffers.  I mean, YMMV, you might like the video and YT.  I don't really care if you do or not.  Just my @$$ - I mean opinion.  I know I use the right strings.  I really need a video about it?  Even if the video isn't about this, why is the title misleading? 

I defense, Rick's a good guy, very knowledgeable, but his videos aren't what I prefer to watch.  Seen some in the past, know his style, so he can do his thing, but I don't want to watch this channel.  Best wishes to him and those that like his content. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rabs said:

The first vid is quite interesting..  Its not like they are actually telling anyone they are using the wrong strings, that's just a title.. Its just an interesting little test...

Isn't this considered click bait then?  Misleading text that helps you get the views??? 

Edited by NighthawkChris

13 minutes ago, Karloff said:

A440 tuning - 9's on Fenders, 10's on Gibsons.

1/2 step down - 10's on Fenders, 11's on Gibson's. 

Martins 11-52 Custom Light on the Acoustic 6'ers. Martin 10-47 Extra Light on the Acoustic 12er. Take that Beato. Take your 8's and stick em (on your guitar).

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Isn't this considered click bait then?  Misleading text that helps you get the views??? 

Well for YouTube purposes yes..  For the forum not really...  Its just a topic to discuss.....

I have been sick all weekend and was bored so watched it on another forum...  I just thought some on here may like to watch it...  Obviously not so much.

In the video they talk about how sometimes its the trend that influences what strings we play with.. Like the SRV era when loads of people started using the same strings as he did etc etc..  As I say.. I found it just an interesting chat.. No one is actually trying to be controversial or anything like that.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Well for YouTube purposes yes..  For the forum not really...  Its just a topic to discuss.....

I have been sick all weekend and was bored so watched it on another forum...  I just thought some on here may like to watch it...  Obviously not so much.

In the video they talk about how sometimes its the trend that influences what strings we play with.. Like the SRV era when loads of people started using the same strings as he did etc etc..  As I say.. I found it just an interesting chat.. No one is actually trying to be controversial or anything like that.

Hi Rabs,

I am not insinuating that you're making click-bait.  It's the YT stuff that is.  I only shared my opinion about YT stuff and what I think of Rick's content.  Not faulting anyone who has watched this video either.  He has subscribers and all that so all the power to him.  My point is that these days on YT, the titles are purposely misleading to get clicks. 

You're a positive contributor here, a skilled luthier, great person AFAIK talking here on Gibson's forum, so please don't take anything I said intended towards you.  I just say it as it is these days and try not to break the rules here to maintain civility.  I am not a fan of YT these days.  As a matter of fact, I don't believe in social media - well the mainstream stuff.  I don't consider this place like Facef*** or Twatter, etc.  We all like guitars here and that's what I want to talk about.  No one selling me stuff, spreading fake garbage...  Nice place we got going on here 🙂

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

I watched.  I find stuff like this moderately interesting.  I have tried strings from 8's to 11's.  I like hybrid slinky's, (9-46) for standard tuning and skinny top heavy bottom (10-52) for a guitar I keep tuned a full step down.   For 1/2 step down I don't change the strings.  All of that's mostly based on feel rather than tone.  I will say that I think the only wrong strings are the one's someone else is using.  😉

Edited by Black Dog

I have been using 10-46 for about 20 years now. 8's were great for letting my fingers fly, but with 9's I got less buzzing and better clean highs and still pretty flexible with a light touch. When I changed to 10's I shredded my fingertips and had to push a lot harder to get my highs, had to concentrate more on hand position for my fingers to be strong enough to stretch a hole step. But the highs seemed to pierce more.. I experimented with tuning down a few times, started drop D a lot and really liked using a 56 on E with a standard 10 set. 

I have been temped to try hybrid 9-46 to make highs easier to push..

Edited by mihcmac

17 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Hi Rabs,

I am not insinuating that you're making click-bait.  It's the YT stuff that is.  I only shared my opinion about YT stuff and what I think of Rick's content.  Not faulting anyone who has watched this video either.  He has subscribers and all that so all the power to him.  My point is that these days on YT, the titles are purposely misleading to get clicks. 

You're a positive contributor here, a skilled luthier, great person AFAIK talking here on Gibson's forum, so please don't take anything I said intended towards you.  I just say it as it is these days and try not to break the rules here to maintain civility.  I am not a fan of YT these days.  As a matter of fact, I don't believe in social media - well the mainstream stuff.  I don't consider this place like Facef*** or Twatter, etc.  We all like guitars here and that's what I want to talk about.  No one selling me stuff, spreading fake garbage...  Nice place we got going on here 🙂

No I agree.. I also hate most social media.. I am only on Facebook as a business nothing else (and it does help a little and is free) but as a business page you get none of that friend request stuff people either like and follow your stuff or not.. I do have a YouTube account but that's cos I love filming and editing stuff and have had it for over a decade now and again, have a separate business YouTube channel which is useful to show people how I do things. I also hate the click bate, its terrible. Its less of a social media platform for me than just a way to share video with people I know.. 

But a personal Facebook, Twitter and all that...  NEVER!!!   🙂  I just don't care what these idiots think and like a lot of people on here am capable of making my own decisions about what I see in the world around me. Like you have these vids on youtube that explain what just happened in a TV show, I mean FFS are people really that stupid these days that they cant work it out for themselves? (not that I watch them but I see the titles).

Ok you got me on a rant now.. I will stop  😄 

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I have been using 10-46 for about 20 years now. 8's were great for letting my fingers fly, but with 9's I got less buzzing and better clean highs and still pretty flexible with a light touch. When I changed to 10's I shedded my fingertips and had to push a lot harder to get my highs, had to concentrate more on hand position for my fingers to be strong enough to stretch a hole step. But the highs seemed to pierce more.. I experimented with tuning down a few times, started drop D a lot and really liked using a 56 on E with a standard 10 set. 

I have been temped to try hybrid 9-46 to make highs easier to push..

back in the 70's I tried lighter strings once or twice, 8's ... broke too easy. not enough  grunt to them. I know  Billy Gibbons tells the story of BB telling him years back "you're working too hard", and he switched to 8's. but in my opinion for what its worth,  I haven't been crazy about his tone for years. 

I mainly play heavier strings because I'm kinda heavy handed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Karloff said:

back in the 70's I tried lighter strings once or twice, 8's ... broke too easy. not enough  grunt to them. I know  Billy Gibbons tells the story of BB telling him years back "you're working too hard", and he switched to 8's. but in my opinion for what its worth,  I haven't been crazy about his tone for years. 

I mainly play heavier strings because I'm kinda heavy handed. 

I think a lot depends on what kind of player you are. If your a an extreme note bender or a light touch million note shredder or 90 year old that just wants his guitar to play easier. Its up to the individual to find what works best for them for what ever kind of playing they want to do. A lot of 10 players miss getting a hole step bend on some of the frets leading up to 22, I have to concentrate to keep from going a little flat and give it that little extra push to get there. But you can easily do it with 8's or 9's and then get a little more, while requiring a light touch.

My acoustic has the 10-46 set like my electrics, so out will play like my electrics, in addition I hate wound G strings.

I you need full sounding chords, I think heavier sounds better... But you have to work harder for them.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1