Gibson Brands Forums

! Tight or Wide ?

E-minor7

! Tight or Wide ?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. W or T ?

• Wide
    • Tight

Been looking a bit into this lately. Not really sure what to think or which logic to follow - and it seems there's specific consensus or rule hammered in granit. 

It was one of sweet'n'stunning Molly Tuttle's PRE-WAR dreads that me wonder. Been sleep-walking around thinking tight was preferred, but her top is wider than wide.

So what do you think - W or T or T or W ? ? , , , , and why ?

Of course the topic has been up before. Was about to revive this old thread, but it would have prevented the poll. 

Edited by E-minor7

7 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Been looking a bit into this lately. Not really sure what to think or which logic to follow - and it seems there's specific consensus or rule hammered in granit. 

It was one of sweet'n'stunning Molly Tuttle's PRE-WAR dreads that me wonder. Been sleep-walking around thinking tight was preferred, but her top is wider than wide.

So what do you think - W or T or T or W ? ? , , , , and why ?

Of course the topic has been up before. Was about to revive this old thread, but it would have prevented the poll. 

I voted for tight but that is for Sitka spruce tops.......the Pre War Guitar Company used NEW growth Adirondack tops. These are wide grain because they are newer growth trees because as I have read and correct me if I am wrong, most of old growth Adi was felled for the World War II war effort....mostly for planes, I believe. So the Adi in for example, Pre War Guitar Company guitars is quite new growth, for a spruce tree and probably grown fairly quickly on the sunny side of a hill - hence the wide grain.

The old growth Adi is a big part of the sound of early Martins, no idea about Gibson.

BluesKing777.

I voted tight.   If choosing between two otherwise equal guitars, I 'd go with  a tight grained top over a wide grained  one  all day long.  To my eye there is nothing like tight grained spruce with a little silking.

I have nice sounding guitars with both wide and tight grained Spruce tops, and the two that sound best to my ear are both tight grained.   But in all honesty, I don't believe  grain width has much to do with  sound quality.  There are many other build factors with greater influence on tone.  

1 hour ago, Salfromchatham said:

Is one stronger or weaker? 

is one louder or softer?

finally is one warmer or brighter?

Relevant Q's, , , couldn't tell you. But if you investigate the attached 2013 thread, Nick claims it has to do with stiffness. Tight being stiffer is my  guess.  But do we want 'stiff' and why - does stiff vibrate better or differently. Something tells me flexible (wide) would be preferred vibers, , , or is the other way around. Admit being confused. 

5 hours ago, Guth said:

I would vote "Yes". Whenever given the choice between two guitars of the same model, one with a top featuring tight grain and the other with a top featuring wide grain, I would always choose the one that sounds the best to me.

Yes, agree, , , and it's what most of the responses say. Perhaps this was a hotter topic earlier on when the big collective acoustic epiphany happened in the 90's and 00s. The era  when every aspect of acoustic guitars was sat under (theoretical) looking-glass, analyzed and discussed.  Some even claimed that the ideal pattern is wide goin' to tight towards the seam. Now a days the scientists may not be that certain and Bozz obviously has a strong point by mentioning the many factors involved. "A good guitar is lucky a combination of components". 

Interesting thoughts, BK777 ^ - as said. Molly's hog dread is wide, , , and P-W btw. would never have brought her a weaker instrument. 

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I'm voting twide.

Okay - I'm kind of caught on the island of wight. . 

Spruce with clues and enigma 

from Engelmann to old sitka

and Adirondack o lala

I looked at wood this way

So did you have it quarter-sawn

or was it plywood and forlorn

I wonder how your top was born

and just have this to say

I looked a grain from both sides now

from tight and wide and still somehow

it's grain's illusion I recall

I really don't know grain at all

• Like 1

E- Good to add some music from Joni. . .  how she, and others, can do an intimate song before such a large crowd, with microscopes pointing in from all angles, and still have the ability to conjure the muse.

Also good to be reminded in your reply to Guth about how builders will prefer to put the tight grain towards the center seam, and the wider grain to the outside. 

23 hours ago, nrthcountryblue said:

This thread is as wacky as a trial without witnesses.  I'm voting tight.

Yeah but its not a real court of law, just a bunch of old windbags with each side having their own agenda (ok enough depression). Not sure what grain I have. They look really close. Can someone explain the difference to me how tight is tight and how wide is wide? Any one?

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah but its not a real court of law, just a bunch of old windbags with each side having their own agenda (ok enough depression). Not sure what grain I have. They look really close. Can someone explain the difference to me how tight is tight and how wide is wide? Any one?

Google is your friend. Not really, but have a search and a look at some images. 

11 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Google is your friend. Not really, but have a search and a look at some images. 

Yeah I know but that is the reason I am on the forum to learn from others.  I could look up anything all day long, but then what is the point of being of the forum

I'll look it up myself.