Gibson Brands Forums

What made you happy today?

Notes_Norton

Seeing as it's 10:57 am  as I'm typing this, I've only accomplished having breakfast so far.  I should perhaps wait until the evening hours to come in here and attempt to answer that question.  

Whitefang

On 6/1/2021 at 7:49 PM, SteveFord said:

Seeing how big this one gravid female boa constrictor has gotten with all the little ones in there.

Shouldn't be too much longer.

Both grandkids, (Greyson 6 & Reagan 4) got to pet a large Python at the Retile Gardens in South Dakota last week.  Whatever he does, she does. He loves snakes.  As for the thread, I always wake up happy and enjoy life.  Things that make me happy are, Jesus, guns, guitars, drag race cars, (NHRA) my wife, I can go on and on Lol. 

I got up....got a shower.... came out to the kitchen, went out with the dog....made coffee..... caught up on my emails and Facebook stuff.... came to the forum, took a mile walk..... put finishing touches on the song I'll record later today, (Thirty-Nine And Holding), fed the ground squirrels and deer, took coffee to my bride who stays up late and gets up late... all good..... all makes me happy!

My garden made me happy today.  I'd not cut the grass for a month to give the insects a chance, also haven't cut back my bank - I'm going to leave that a lot longer this year as there are wildflowers spreading. 

And the builders next door haven't come today either, so no cement mixer, shouting or radio.

A few swifts in the sky, the neighbours old cat asleep at the top of my steps, garden scents, bees.......peaceful feeling.

Edited by jdgm

I got my Hofner archtop back at last. Had all electrics replaced. Its a clean signal now.

I had the original pickup replaced with a Kent Armstrong Slimebucker. And guess what...

-it sounds no different to the old one. I always liked the sound of the Hofner pickup, but had long wanted to try out the KA. Its a credit to Hofner really. Well now I know. Likely its better constructed if nothing else.

At least I can record with this now. That's the main reason I had it gutted and rewired. 

I did have to fr1g with the bridge to improve the intonation though.

Ib07PBu.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I got my Hofner archtop back at last. Had all electrics replaced. Its a clean signal now.

I had the original pickup replaced with a Kent Armstrong Slimebucker. And guess what...

-it sounds no different to the old one. I always liked the sound of the Hofner pickup, but had long wanted to try out the KA. Its a credit to Hofner really. Well now I know. Likely its better constructed if nothing else.

At least I can record with this now. That's the main reason I had it gutted and rewired. 

I did have to fr1g with the bridge to improve the intonation though.

Ib07PBu.jpg

Beautiful axe!

On 5/31/2021 at 10:53 AM, 01GT eibach said:

I made pretty good progress on "Dear Prudence".  I chose this song particularly based on my fingerpicking skills have well diminished from what they used to be, and I would like to resurrect this semi-lost skill of mine.  I am concentrating now on just getting the song's fingerpicking pattern into muscle memory.  Definitely not there yet, but getting there.   :   )

380e5f275ff2efc34c521ca490114e8d.jpg

I tried messing with Dear Prudence last night. It just frustrated me to no end. The fretting hand is not in sync with the picking hand.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I tried messing with Dear Prudence last night. It just frustrated me to no end. The fretting hand is not in sync with the picking hand.

Maybe if you didn't try to play it like The Beatles and played it "Like You", you'd have more success!

43 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Oh I'll stink it up, but I still need to play the right notes.

HAHAHA.... I suck at fingerpicking....but I wanted to record "Freight Train" and "Dust In The Wind".... so I played them on a 12-string (no one would fault someone for not fingerpicking a 12-string!

2 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

The rain brought new growth on my citronella plants, which helps to keep the mosquitoes away from my door!!!

I sure hope the plants work better than those "waste of money" citronella candles.  [mad]

Anyway, the C-Ment guys came this morning and poured the concrete for my patio.  That slab of cement replaces an old collapsed deck with which the wood was warped and rotting and of no use.  Now all I need worry about is finding squirrel tracks going across it until it dries.  [cool]

Whitefang

51 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I sure hope the plants work better than those "waste of money" citronella candles.  [mad]

<...snip...>

I never tried the candles, so I can't say.

Citronella grass grows in tufts about 4 feet tall. I've had them for years and years now.

I started near our screen porch. I put four clumps there, three on one side of the door and one on the other. Before I planted them on any summer day there would be hundreds of mosquitoes landing on the screen, hoping to get in. The year after I planted them and they grew to a decent size, perhaps 4 mosquitoes buzzing the screen.

So they don't work 100% but they are much better than nothing.

So I put a half dozen clumps in front of our carport and instead of hundreds hanging around waiting to bite us, only a few.

The early mosquitoes that come out in February don't seem to be affected by them, but the citronella grass is still dormant then. It doesn't wake up until it gets enough water.

I could wake it up earlier by watering it, but it's the dry season, and there aren't many skeeters around, so I don't. I don't keep a lawn, and planted mostly native vegetation all over my half acre. The only thing I mow is the 300' by the road easement, about 6' around my house, and the patch under the clothesline.

I planted about 25 Live Oak trees, a few Royal Poincianas, a couple of Gumbo Limbos, 10 Sable Palms and a Neem. A few Sea Grape trees were planted by the birds and I let them grow too. I planted a Coconut Palm too, but it didn't take. 

Under the trees I planted ferns, so it's green without the need of a lawn mower, fertilizer, pesticides, or supplemental watering. It works with whatever mother nature provides.

I live near an endangered lagoon (called The Indian River) and the Riverkeeper told me my yard is perfect for the health of the lagoon and the fish that spawn in it.

Plus it needs almost no maintenance at all.

The Citronella grass keeps most of the mosquitoes away, the ferns feed the trees, and mother nature takes care of herself. I'm helping the environment and reducing my so called carbon footprint.

Notes