Gibson Brands Forums

all about YOU... (and your 1st les paul) ;P

pumpkin

tell me!

do you read music? my DH does not, he plays by ear & reads tabs. he taught our DD her chords & songs, but then we decided she really needed to be able to read music so she started taking lessons.

is your spouse interested in your guitars and music? we sit around and play *name that tune* sometimes. did it alot when we were first together.

do you have children? are you teaching them to play? how old are they?

who is your all time favorite artist? mine is ac/dc & DH's is G&R. i love all kinds of music though & we are passing that on to DD. she can listen to a song & about 90% of the time tell you who it is no matter if its Dolly Parton, Ozzy, Janis, or Johnny Cash.

my passion is dogs. i work at a boarding kennel/obedience training facility & i get to play with dogs all day. its the greatest job ever! i promote spay & neutering and am firmly against Breed Discrimination (i love the big dogs... rotties, pit bulls, dobies, etc) they are so misunderstood by the general public.

add anything else you want to share!

ETA: and of course... please tell about your very 1st LP!

I started out with lessons and reading music but quickly realized that it was much easier for me to play what I hear.

But there's nothing wrong with learing to sight read and I admire anyone that can, like my son, who can also play by ear.

I don't read music - play by ear. I've only used tab's once in 33 years (and that very recently) for a very short instrumental track whose note construction didn't quite fit in with anything I was used to playing. What made it worse the Tab looked like it had been edited by random selection - the bars were in the correct order but I had to literally cut it into sections and tape it back together so that there were four bars per line and four bars per page - just to get the rhythm set-down properly.

My wife has the same very broad taste in music as me but she doesn't play an instrument.

My 4-and-a-half-year-old has always liked hitting the guitar strings as I fret it and she showed a lot of interest in my father's old mandolin which I recently brought down from Scotland. I'll get it properly sorted and see how she gets on.

CandmandolinhorizcropLarge.jpg

Too many favourites to list; almost anything ranging from Allegri to Zappa; blues, 'classical', jazz, rock, French Chanson, Traditional African etc...etc...Check out the range of world music on the Putumayo label.

I can read music, but cannot sit down to piece that I have never heard and play it. I use the music in conjunction with the recording, the tabs, and a video. I generally do not take the time to learn entire pieces, but am constantly looking for new techniques and licks.

I have been married for about 8 months and have no children (yet).

For work, I produce and star in adult films that usually have midgets as part of the theme. Just kidding. I work for a company that provides healthcare facilites with consumer perception data for strategic planning.

I have played guitar for over 20 years, and take bits and pieces from everyone, and mold them into my own. This can be everyone from Jimmy Page, to some guy I saw on youtube.

I have two dogs, a boxer and a pit, both boys. My wife is a nurse.

I played with a group called Tastefully Nude through college, until the frontman (RIP Dave) died in a car wreck 3 years ago. Since then I have been working to refine my style, and record some tracks on my own.

My dog could totally kick your wussy dog's a$$.

Just so you know, the forum moderators usually delete/move threads from here that' aren't Les Paul related.

Chats like this usually go in the lounge.

thanks for letting me know. i edited my OP so it will fit. :-

so where is the best / most active area of this forum?

I'll tell you anything you want to hear...

lol

I have two dogs, a boxer and a pit, both boys

names? pictures?

and yes... your dog probably could... my baby boy Angus thinks he is a little lap dog. he has no idea what he is.

pippy, you daughter is precious!

tell me!

do you read music? my DH does not' date=' he plays by ear & reads tabs. he taught our DD her chords & songs, but then we decided she really needed to be able to read music so she started taking lessons.

is your spouse interested in your guitars and music? we sit around and play *name that tune* sometimes. did it alot when we were first together.

who is your all time favorite artist? mine is ac/dc & DH's is G&R. i love all kinds of music though & we are passing that on to DD. she can listen to a song & about 90% of the time tell you who it is no matter if its Dolly Parton, Ozzy, Janis, or Johnny Cash.

my passion is dogs. i work at a boarding kennel/obedience training facility & i get to play with dogs all day. its the greatest job ever! i promote spay & neutering and am firmly against Breed Discrimination (i love the big dogs... rotties, pit bulls, dobies, etc) they are so misunderstood by the general public.

ETA: and of course... please tell about your very 1st LP![/quote']

I don't read music very well, but could if I put a lot of effort into it, but then it wouldn't be as much fun. I don't do tabs, but the same applies. I play mostly by ear.

My wife is not nearly as interested in my guitar playing as I would like her to be.

I have twin 17 year old sons and a 15 year old daughter. One son plays guitar (Epiphone Les Paul) the other plays bass (Epiphone Thunderbird). They play the kind of music I like, since I taught them. Yes, we jam together a lot. Mostly RUSH, Led Zepp, Deep Purple, (good 70's rock). My daughter plays piano, but not a avidly as me and my two sons.

My favorite alltime band is RUSH. My favorite alltime guitar player is Steve Howe.

My passions are playing guitar, Gibson Les Pauls, dabbling a little in Oil Painting. And I love dogs also. I have a 6-year old beagle & a 7-year old sharpei, rottweiller mix.

My first Les Paul was a Goldtop Deluxe, which I sold many years ago. My Classic Antique (see avatar) is better, so I'm content.

I begin learning by people showing me what to play, then ear training. I started teaching myself to read music, but didn't like it. Now the only time I read music is for piano. I can read tab, but only use it for difficult passages when I don't have the time to learn it by ear.

My first Les Paul (read only Les Paul) is a 1978 Standard which I bought used in 1979. My brother let me borrow the money to buy it (i was in 9th grade at the time). It was a great price - some dude needed the money and sold it cheap.

My wife is not interested in playing guitar, she is into scrap-booking and cross-stitch. All 3 of my kids started to play guitar, but none have stuck with it. My middle child now plays flute and will begin highschool next year at probably Colorado's best music program.

I'm a big SRV fan and have a decent collection of boot-leg live CDs of his. I listen to a lot of contemporary jazz - Larry Carlton, Jeff Golub, Al DiMeola and a lot of blues.

We have a Jack Russel Terror that will be one year old Apr 1st.

My first Les came when I was 17 in 1977, Black Les Paul Deluxe. Sold it like a ******.

Was a professional player through most of the 80's and 90's.

I don't read music very well and play by ear most of the time. "Tabs look like a bunch numbers and lines.

Presently I play part time, weekends and occasional stand in's.

Other than that I'm just beautiful...

So don't hate me, it's my curse to bear.

with love from my fiery loins.

Rick.

I can read music, but don't have a call too much anymore. Most guitarists that I know learned to and still play by ear. Tab gives me a headache. I bought my first Les Paul in 1979 and have had at least one continuously since then. My 9 year old son is into sports and listening to loud music. I gave him a strat copy and a peavey decade amp, but he shows no interest in learning to play it yet. My 13 year old daughter is a pretty good cellist and she plays my acoustic sometimes. My wife likes to dance and be bop to the music, but she's not into rock all that much, she's a country girl from Conroe.

It's too hard for me to pick a single artist or style of music as a favorite, I like anything with guitars in it...

We are dog lovers too...We have a boxer and two cats. We lost our male boxer in November to cancer...still tough thinking about it.

It was 1984. I had just married my then wife (no longer, thank God). We got a schittload of money, so we split it. She bought a quarter ounce of coke with hers, and I bought a gently used 1983 Gibson Les Paul Studio in Smokeburst. Didn't really have enough money for a Standard. Thing I remember most about that guitar was it's weight, it was a tank! Took what I had left over and got a 60 watt Ampeg all tube job, don't remember the make, but that Les Paul sounded pretty nice out of that amp. As the years progressed, I sold both...first the amp, then the guitar. Jump ahead to 2009. Window shopping in a nearby town, go by a pawn broker's shop window, and in the window is a Smokeburst Les Paul Studio identical to the one I had, even had the dot inlays. And it makes me wonder...

these are some really good answers yall! TFS!

She bought a quarter ounce of coke with hers,

cracked me up!

We lost our male boxer in November to cancer...still tough thinking about it.

im so very sorry. truly.

Other than that I'm just beautiful...

So don't hate me, it's my curse to bear.

well someone has to do it. you were one of the chosen.

I have a 6-year old beagle & a 7-year old sharpei, rottweiller mix.

names? pics?

and keeping with the forum rules... here is my DH's first LP... I have to wonder if these are like potato chips... cant have just one.

IMG_35983.jpg

and this is DD with her 1st little cheap acoustic:

guitar.jpg

and her 1st little cheap electric:

HPIM0475.jpg

im so happy she is interested in guitar. im not musically inclined at all.

I can not read music, I read tabs and play by ear some. I lack a spouse, but I'm only 16 as well. No kids either. My current favorite artists are Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver, Gilby Clarke, Duff McKagan, and Loaded. But I do have a local fave caled Divisible by None. I love dogs i have four daschunds and a cocker. I love cats too. My first Les Paul is the '03 Classic and I love the classy lady.

I can not read music, I read tabs and play by ear some. I lack a spouse, but I'm only 16 as well. No kids either. My current favorite artists are Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver, Gilby Clarke, Duff McKagan, and Loaded. But I do have a local fave caled Divisible by None. I love dogs i have four daschunds and a cocker. I love cats too. My first Les Paul is the '03 Classic and I love the classy lady.

I can read music.. but I prefer to play by ear.

I bought my first Les Paul (Studio) in '92 when I was 20 or so. It was $800 brand new... I wish they were still that cheap. I had a crappy job, so I had to save up for several months to even afford that.

Started reading music at the age of 8 on piano (had a lesson everyday). I was trained as a classical and then jazz piano player, and started guitar at the age of 13. I do prefer using my ear though these days. My wife tunes in a lot more into my music than she does when I start talking about spacecraft navigation equations, so I can't complain (yes I do love her dearly). We have a 7 year old and he's been playing piano for a couple of years. He just started on guitar and he's very excited. My favorite artists are George Gershwin and Mozart on piano and Alex Lifeson and SRV on guitar.

I actually was given a Gibson Sonex when I was 13. It's not a "real" Les Paul and I always wanted one. I didn't get back into music seriously until around 2004. One day I was in the music store with my wife. I saw a wall of Les Pauls and told her "I always wanted a real Les Paul but I could never afford one in my youth, even after gigging at least 3 nights a week." To which she responded "well you can easily afford one now, so buy one." Took a while to find the one I wanted but I finally got it. Last year I even bought another, so I think she's opened the floodgates!

tell me!

do you read music?

Slowly. My youngest son reads the fastest.

is your spouse interested in your guitars and music?

Now divorced' date=' yes, she was also an amateur musician in voice and was trying Celtic harp.[/color']

Two boys, teenagers, for whom I bought professional lessons for two years.

who is your all time favorite artist?

Eric Clapton

my passion is dogs.

For which I salute you.

ETA: and of course... please tell about your very 1st LP!

When I was a teenager, I saved and saved, and bought a new '71 Deluxe Gold Top, because it was the only LP available in my city at its price range. Woodshedding with it throughout my university years saved my sanity, I'm sure. It'll be the last thing I sell before I become homeless if life ever goes to hell.:-

i can't read notes, but i can read tablature (of course).

no spouse = no kids. had a few betta fish and dogs throughout my lifetime though.

favorite all time artist? i dont know yet.

First LP (and only) bought in 2004 at a local music store second hand. 60's neck, honeyburst 2003 standard plus. love it.

btw - what does "DH" and "DD" stand for

I too play by ear, tabs from time to time. I can decipher music if I have the time and need to figure out a part.

Usually I just play it thru several times and see if I can pick out the notes I need.

I learned to play guitar standing in front of my older sister's tape player when she wasn't home.

My wife has sang in church all her life, but isn't really interested in music.

She just turns on the radio and surfs stations. Drives me nuts - if there's nothing on then turn it OFF!

She's partial to country and gospel, but knows the words to all the hair metal songs from the 80's cheerleader days.

She can play a little keyboard for gospel stuff, but her son took to guitar when he was 13 and nailed all those 80's songs.

He was quite the player when I met her a year later, she realized after meeting me how well he really played.

Well, either that, or I suck for a grown up....

As we were dating, she learned alot about guitars while being around me as I bought and sold.

She knew I had something going when she saw the reaction on people's faces when they saw my guitar collection...

She only allows me to buy pretty guitars, so far our tastes have been in step.

:-)

I have 3 children out of state, 15, 11 and 9. Her son is 20 and is on his own - he pawned all his guitars...

My 3 favorite artists are AC/DC, Led Zep, and whoever I'm listening to right now.

I'm a Blues/Rock guy.

After the boy "lost" his guitars, I guess he's been getting into Rap. Can't stand that sh!t, not even for a second.

We have a Red Queensland Heeler and a mutt that looks like a cross between a Beagle and a Holsteen milk cow.

Breed discrimination occurs because of stupid people, and the dogs pay.

Getting a moron on one end of a leash with a Pit or Rottie on the other is a recipe for disaster.

Those dogs are like a loaded gun when they have zero training and act completely on impulse.

Stupid owners only confuse them and make matters worse.

I would sooner eliminate the people than the breeds....

I can tell you about my very 1st Les Paul.

The summer of 1993 I bought my first NEW guitar, and American Standard Strat.

I was sick of used, cheapo guitars and I wanted one for ME.

I got divorced from Wife number one shortly after.

Before she moved out of town, she came by the house one day and saw a 1986 Ebony Standard I had borrowed.

Boy, she was pissed that I had bought ANOTHER guitar!

No, he just let me play it a little, I was thinking about buying it but it was a little rough.

I was trying to decide if I wanted one.

She didn't believe me.

Screw it, I bought it later anyway...

Hated the big fat 50's neck, and the finish was dull from mold growth inside the case and the hardware was rusted bad.

I sold it shortly thereafter.

The next summer of 1994 I was dating an older woman who played a little guitar herself.

We went into Rockin' Robin Guitars on Shepherd in Houston one day to see a friend of mine who played in a band.

I had been looking at Les Pauls but was disappointed in the prices, they were MUCH higher than the $650 Strats.

He said I could get a used Les Paul and save myself some serious money.

No, I was looking at all the shiny ones on the wall and I didn't want to repeat my earlier mistake.

He pointed at a used Ebony Standard and said he could sell it for $900.

Really? I thought it was new!

It was a 1993, hanging beside a brand new 1994, and they were identical.

Hmmm...

So I bought it, and it became my first real Les Paul.

Hated the big fat 50's neck though, never got used to it.

Sold it to a friend of mine when I got divorced AGAIN in 1999, along with a stack of guns.

It was pristine, so I wanted to buy it back a couple years later. My friend refused. *** hole.

Well, he wouldn't have bought it if he didn't want it, he already had a 1981 Custom.

A couple years down the road, he mentioned that his son was in a rock band - and pretty damned good.

Got himself a vintage Marshall amp and sounded damned good.

I asked what guitar he was using - it was my beautiful Ebony Les Paul.

Well, it used to be beautiful....

My friend said "You wouldn't wanna see it now, it'd make you cry."

Well, that guitar made alot of good rock and roll and had alot of beer and sweat poured into it.

Beat all to hell, but it was finally doing what it was designed to do.

I still don't wanna see it.

I've moved on, and bought some very nice guitars since then.

I'm okay now....

:-)

Pumpkin your daughter is a liitle angel, they are absolutelky lovely pictures.

I began as a self taught player, relying solely on my ear, and then began Piano and Guitar lessons, which got my music reading up and running. I don't mean that in a big headed way but I have a fairly good ear. I can compose pieces from my imagination (without needing my instrument), and my sight reading is not bad a tall.

I use tab as 'short hand' to scribble scales etc for pupils. It is inferior to proper music, as it gives you no choice where to play things. Music leaves your own mind to choose your fingerings etc :-

I am so used to people I meet saying "my grandad couldn't read a note of music but played everything from ear"

That is fine, but why not cultivate both! It is possible to be a good improviser, have a good ear and also be a good reader! That's what I teach my pupils to do anyway.

Matt

My Dad Bought me a nice fender stratocaster when i was 16...... i took it straight to the guitar shop and traded it for a gibson les paul studio, Black, Gold hardware, i called him diesel.

I can't read music properly or tab. LOL

I am self employed as a tiler, and my poor (once nimble) fingers are have become nothing more than rough, calloused, stiff, meat hooks because of the daily grind they have to go through. .:- . fortunatly i can still rock out :-s/

My daughter plays guitar too, i bought her a sparkly pink strat copy Christmas 07 and put 'hello kitty' graphics on it.

i don't have any pics but i accidentally shot a short movie while trying to figure out how the camera works. follow the link---> pink geetar

names? pics?

Sorry Pumpkin, I don't have any digital pics to upload. The beagle's name is Sparkey and the mix's name is Nike.(like the shoe)

IMG_35983.jpg

Nice LP

im so happy she is interested in guitar. im not musically inclined at all.

Yes it's nice to have my kids into music also.

My daughter plays guitar too, i bought her a sparkly pink strat copy Christmas 07 and put 'hello kitty' graphics on it.

ADORABLE!!!

Pumpkin your daughter is a liitle angel, they are absolutelky lovely pictures.

thank you so very much! we like her & are thinking about keeping her. :D

She only allows me to buy pretty guitars, so far our tastes have been in step.

LOL! i think it was easier for me to buy DH's new guitar because its in Cherry & matches my living room furniture.

We have a Red Queensland Heeler and a mutt that looks like a cross between a Beagle and a Holsteen milk cow.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Breed discrimination occurs because of stupid people, and the dogs pay.

Getting a moron on one end of a leash with a Pit or Rottie on the other is a recipe for disaster.

Those dogs are like a loaded gun when they have zero training and act completely on impulse.

Stupid owners only confuse them and make matters worse.

I would sooner eliminate the people than the breeds....

absolutely! im always floored everytime i read that a dog "turned" on its owner. ummmm..... no, no it didnt! dogs do not turn. there are always signs that the owners either do not know are signs or they are too stupid to care. like when the dog gets on the bed with you... they think "oh how cute... he wants to snuggle with mommy & daddy" ummmm..... NO... he thinks he is your equal and has a place there.

when you are the owner of a breed like these, you MUST do everything to make sure they are represent the breed in a positive way. i could go on & on about this stuff, but i will get off my soapbox now.

btw - what does "DH" and "DD" stand for

DH - Dear Husband

DD - Dear Daughter

my passion is dogs.

For which I salute you.

thank you. ](*,)

thanks for sharing all your stories... they are quite interesting! its noce getting to *know* you!

Archived