Gibson Brands Forums

HORRIBLE QUALITY CONTROL (pictures). (1958 Murphy Lab Les Paul ultra light aged)

Loycole

15 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

But Gibson and Tom do it for you for only 6 - 10k. I've said it before. No one buys a new car, and goes home, and kicks in the front quarter panel with a steel toed boot, and says it now looks cooler.

jesus Chief , don't give them marketing types any more whacky ideas...

It is still hard to wrap my head around I bought a new guitar, and wanted to look old, and beat up. So, I did that, and I paid a lot of money for this legendary guy who fake ages guitars named Tom Murphy to do it to my NEW Gibson LP. Now my NEW, but old looking guitar has chips, and dings, and paint chipping off, and I thought that was what I wanted, and that is supposed to be the point of those 6 - 10k aged guitars. Now it must be too beat up to be cool. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It is still hard to wrap my head around I bought a new guitar, and wanted to look old, and beat up. So, I did that, and I paid a lot of money for this legendary guy who fake ages guitars named Tom Murphy to do it to my NEW Gibson LP. Now my NEW, but old looking guitar has chips, and dings, and paint chipping off, and I thought that was what I wanted, and that is supposed to be the point of those 6 - 10k aged guitars. Now it must be too beat up to be cool. 

one of my son's friends has two murphy lab's les pauls, definitely the real deal.

don't know how he afforded them cuz they total around $20k, and I'm not trying to be a pill, but he's not really all that much of a guitarist.   But,,  he is very happy with them and happy is all that matters.   But that said   I don't get it either.

Mrs and I are going to see Tom Murphy next week, a sorta anniversary get away.  He's going to give a lecture and stuff, we've seen him before out there at Old Faithful, cool guy.  This will have a Shark Cuter Ree board and some wine and such, so a few hours of hard drinkin too.  Very looking forward to it, he can sign this book for us:

Silence and Solitude : Yellowstone's Winter Wilderness by Tom Murphy (2001,... - Picture 1 of 1

rct

14 hours ago, rct said:

Mrs and I are going to see Tom Murphy next week, a sorta anniversary get away.  He's going to give a lecture and stuff, we've seen him before out there at Old Faithful, cool guy.  This will have a Shark Cuter Ree board and some wine and such, so a few hours of hard drinkin too.  Very looking forward to it, he can sign this book for us:

Silence and Solitude : Yellowstone's Winter Wilderness by Tom Murphy (2001,... - Picture 1 of 1

rct

Is he gonna  fake age a Bison?

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2022 at 7:26 PM, rct said:

rct

I caught a cutthroat trout in the Yellowstone River once with a bunch of bison hanging out in the river.  Never fly-fished since.  That'll do it for me!  😁 

26 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

I caught a cutthroat trout in the Yellowstone River once with a bunch of bison hanging out in the river.  Never fly-fished since.  That'll do it for me!  😁 

We've gone fly fishing once, with a well armed well trained guide, out in the back country.  It really was divine, we'd probably do it again, but not something we'll fall over ourselves to go and do.  We'll be out there May next year to just loiter and spend nights out in the valleys and relax.  Haven't been since 2019, getting itchy!

rct

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I didn't know bison could be so cooperative. 

They can be.  I've had them walk right up to me and schniff me all up and down while sitting out in the valleys overnight.  Their conversation with each other, all night, the entire herd just murmuring reassurances to each other, is some of the most beautiful music you will ever hear.  Especially under a clear night sky.

rct

• Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 4:18 PM, rct said:

They can be.  I've had them walk right up to me and schniff me all up and down while sitting out in the valleys overnight.  Their conversation with each other, all night, the entire herd just murmuring reassurances to each other, is some of the most beautiful music you will ever hear.  Especially under a clear night sky.

rct

I like the way we turned the thread from a bad Gibson QC discussion, to one that talks about bison at night in the open prairie 

well played!

Gawd I love this place..

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I own six Murphy Lab first runs.  3 59' ML LPs (2 Dirty Lemons, 1 Chery Tea Burst ... all light aged), one 58' ML LP lemon burst light aged, one 57' ML LP Gold Top Dark Back light aged,  and one '64 ML SG Vibrola heavy aged.   I've had zero problems with any of them.  I live in Colorado just as a reference to weather changes.

14 hours ago, TBeauD said:

I own six Murphy Lab first runs.  3 59' ML LPs (2 Dirty Lemons, 1 Chery Tea Burst ... all light aged), one 58' ML LP lemon burst light aged, one 57' ML LP Gold Top Dark Back light aged,  and one '64 ML SG Vibrola heavy aged.   I've had zero problems with any of them.  I live in Colorado just as a reference to weather changes.

Do you like Murphy Labs 😄 

6 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

I was thinking “crap that’s more than $60,000usd in guitars” 

I can’t buy 1 let alone 6, where’s the jealousy emoji’s?

Having money must be nice? Can anyone who has some tell me what its like to buy 60k worth of pre beat up guitars.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2024 at 7:28 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Having money must be nice? Can anyone who has some tell me what its like to buy 60k worth of pre beat up guitars.

I can tell you it is a blast! These Murphy Lab guitars feel, look and sound great.  I also own vintage acoustics from the 30's and electrics from the mid 50's.   I much prefer the feel and look of these aged guitars over the non aged ones. I know you don't like them, that's your opinion and your problem. But looks like there are quite a lot of people around the world who are into these aged versions of Gibson's, Fender's and Martin's. They are selling very well.  That's what makes it so great for us guitar players, there are guitars for everyone's taste. 

Oh and yes, it is nice to have money.  

Edited by J45fan

• 3 weeks later...