Gibson Brands Forums

Johnny A?

Whitefang

This ain't that important.  But I might consider buying my first electric since I lost track of my old cheap '67 Kalamazoo, and of the few I'm considering, one is the Gibson JOHNNY A.  But looking on the Gibson site to see what the current price is, I couldn't find it among the products listed on the site.  Does this mean they no longer make that model?   Or what.   Or was I looking in the wrong place on the site( not entirely impossible)?  And I am trying to narrow down my preferences as I'm sure they don't make a flippable 5-sided coin!  [wink]

Whitefang

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

maybe just the wrong place WF..

It looks like they are still in production   not cheap!

Gibson.com: Gibson Custom Johnny A Signature

This is the "Legacy" site, which is just an archive of older model pages.

There's a chance Gibson would make one on a special order, but it would probably cost even more than that.

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

25.5" scale. I hadn't noticed that before.

I also just checked out who Johnny A is and had a listen. Had not noticed him before either. 

he's from the area (for me anyway)  From Avalon Mass.

He was the sister of one of my friends' wives.  Met him at the wake for my buddy's mom.  he's  not the most personable and  engaging kind of guy. but he is a very good player

His first album IMHO was his best one. 

I didn't even know who Johnny A was when i first tried out this guitar. But he is a great player. As I stated in another post I just picked one of these up by chance at a good price. after installing a Bricks Biggs Fix and a soft spring I can not believe what a great guitar this is. My other guitars are very jealous. You can buy them a lot cheaper than on Reverb etc.  You just have to keep looking.

Thanks John

On 12/1/2021 at 7:26 AM, kidblast said:

he's from the area (for me anyway)  From Avalon Mass.

He was the sister of one of my friends' wives.  Met him at the wake for my buddy's mom.  he's  not the most personable and  engaging kind of guy. but he is a very good player

His first album IMHO was his best one. 

1st---

HE was the sister?  And of ONE of your friend's wives??  How's that done, and how many wives does your friend have?  [omg]

Thanks to all for your response and answers.  Yep, that price is a lot higher than some might be able to reach, but...

As one of my other choices is a Les Paul '68 reissue at roughly the same price, well....

Too, whatever the choice, it'll no doubt be the only electric I'd buy and have for the rest of my time, so price really don't scare me off.  [wink]  Or Hell----

I might get both!  [laugh]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Whitefang said:

1st---

HE was the sister?  And of ONE of your friend's wives??  How's that done, and how many wives does your friend have?  [omg]

Thanks to all for your response and answers.  Yep, that price is a lot higher thansome might be able to reach, but...

As one of my other choices is a Les Paul '68 reissue at rouhly the same price, well....

Too, whatever the choice, it'll no doubt be the only electric I'd buy and have for the rest of my time, so price really don't scare me off.  [wink]  Or Hell----

I might get both!  [laugh]

Whitefang

ya  I murdered that reply didn't I?

his SISTER is the wife of a buddy of mine..

THERE  I fixed it.

• Haha 1

I really don't care one way or another concerning a Bigsby.  In fact, if the Johnny was available without a trem I'd prefer that.  And any purchase of anything is still a ways off,   And I can't guarantee that my limited PC skills will improve to the point I could post pictures by that time anyway.  [wink]

Whitefang

Yeah, cosmetically, for that model I'd like F-holes too.  But my draw to this model is it's resemblance to the older BARNEY KESSEL Model used by Trini Lopez(before Gibson created his own signature) and in the mid '60's by the Rascals'  Gene Cornish.

Now if I could find one of those in good shape and at a decent price, I'd druther!  [cool]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

Hi WF,

I had one for long while. Got it at a collector auction 10 years ago in never played condition. S/N 024 from the first production run in 2003. I was a Strat guy before I got into Gibsons so I didn't think the longer scale would be an issue but it was. The neck just seemed kind of too big, nothing like a Strat and I never really bonded with it. That said it was a beautiful guitar with excellent tones. It had the f-holes and Bigsby. I got around $6K when I sold it a couple of years ago. I have a CS-336 which is of similar construction with the normal Gibson scale length and I love it better than any of the 6 LP's or 2 ES-335's I had.

I checked the Wildwood Guitars website. They were the largest dealer of Johnny A's in the country and they don't have any for sale. So I'm guessing Gibson is not making them right now. I would definitely recommend trying before buying as they are way different than any Gibson I've ever owned or played. Last I remembered Wildwood was selling the Customs for about $6500 and the std for around $5K. Good luck in your quest.

JO'C

• Thanks 1