Gibson Brands Forums

Everly’s Guitar

Sgt. Pepper

14 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

That kind of price tag demands some free swag be tossed into the deal so I would expect Gibson to throw some of that "Everly Brothers X Gibson" clothing they will also apparently be hawking my way.

I was thinking two for 1 price.  

26 minutes ago, rbpicker said:

I thought the Everly kids played J-185s.  
rb

They did. But I also remember watching a old show once where they had J180s dressed up like 200s.  
as for whats posted Albert Lee has one of those Everly J200s.  If I recall it was given to him as  a gift to be played and looked after. 

if you watch the all stars with mc Cartney, Jeff Lynne , Clapton,Mann Lee. It shows it being played on in the back ground. 

Edited by slimt

Its to bad.  Gibson couldnt go back further into the earlier Roots for entertainers.    Ray Whitley , Robert Johnson ,Roy Smeck were good examples , But many others played way nicer Gibsons.   And Contributed to Gibson being  recognized. 

16 hours ago, egoidealmusic said:

Were they black or tortoise?  I feel like I've seen previous reissues of this and it was a dark tortoise over the black which made it even darker looking.

The J200 in the photo and this one are 3-ply black.  A ton of variations over the years - the original had a brown tortoise over black but they glued the pickguard and then shot the finish over it (masking off the pickguards). This was cool because you could see the tortoise better. When they reissued in the 80s, they just lacquered the guitar and threw the pickguard over it. Most recent, when they reissued under Billie Joe Armstrong they put a template over the top so when they put the pickgaurds on they would stand out like the original.

Albert Lee is a dear friend. He's the best of the best by any measure: guitarist, musical historian, human being.

john_maria_elena_albert_lee.jpg

(Yeah, Albert and I are posing here with Buddy Holly's widow, Maria Elena Holly, on what would have been Buddy's 75th birthday. That's another long, but imvho, very cool story.)

Albert's Everly J-200 is a musical treasure. I'd love to own a replica (and I've played the original).

Folks should remember that the Everly brothers were rhythm players, and fantastic rhythm players. Those giant pickguards probably inadvertently served to transform the normally booming J-200 into a good rhythm guitar. The subsequent Everly signature model, which was based on the slightly smaller J-185 body, but rendered shallower, is an extraordinary rhythm guitar. Would I value it for any other musical purpose? No. But it does it do what is does better, imvho, than any guitar? Yes.

Again, imvho, it's cool that Gibson is reissuing this guitar.

Folks have commented in this thread about the best era for J-200s. Ain't no question, once again, imvho: the pre-1940s rosewood models. Astonishing.

But, back to the topic: long may the Everly brothers' music and their guitars reign!