Gibson Brands Forums

Hot Dogs

Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Grilled, mustard, onions, chili, lots of cheese (local Skyline Chili)

skyline_cheese_coney.png

I was onboard till the Slyline Chili.

Your location says Blue Grass state, so you must be in Kentucky by Cincy.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Dave F said:

10 miles south. I work in Cincy.

Damn I'm good. Actually S L Chili is quite good, its just different that what most think chili is. I've had it with the onions, cheese, and spaghetti. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

OK, I'll bite(no pun intended).

I rarely at home eat a hot dog in a bun.  I carried on a long tradition of having hot dogs(two) macaroni and cheese with green beans for dinner on Wednesday.  Usually Oscar Meyer bun length.  Even during those times I do eat them in a bun.  Or else it's Kowalski natural casing wieners. And I'm not too fancy with the extras.  Both mustard and ketchup and some sweet relish.  And in a pinch I don't mind using a slice of bread when a bun isn't available. 

That Wednesday hot dog dinner is on a plate and my choice of condiment is Heinz 57 sauce.  Instead of ketchup.   And a drizzle of ranch dressing on the mac&cheese.  [wink]

Whitefang

38 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

OK, I'll bite(no pun intended).

I rarely at home eat a hot dog in a bun.  I carried on a long tradition of having hot dogs(two) macaroni and cheese with green beans for dinner on Wednesday.  Usually Oscar Meyer bun length.  Even during those times I do eat them in a bun.  Or else it's Kowalski natural casing wieners. And I'm not too fancy with the extras.  Both mustard and ketchup and some sweet relish.  And in a pinch I don't mind using a slice of bread when a bun isn't available. 

That Wednesday hot dog dinner is on a plate and my choice of condiment is Heinz 57 sauce.  Instead of ketchup.   And a drizzle of ranch dressing on the mac&cheese.  [wink]

Whitefang

When I am super lazy and that is most time, I boil the dogs with the mac. We have all done the slice of bread trick in desperate times.

I usually boil 'em too.  As it's just me I see no sense in firing up the grill for just one or two dogs.  And when the mood strikes me(and not often) I'll lightly fry 'em with a bit of butter in the small fry pan I have.

Whitefang

Chicago dog for me.  Vienna all beef wiener on a steamed bun with yellow mustard, green relish, chopped onion and tomato, a slice of kosher dill pickle on top and celery salt.  In Chicago it is against the law to put catsup on a hot dog, and most hot dog joints will throw you out if you ask for it.  They have it on hand, but it's only for the french fries!

19 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Chicago dog for me.  Vienna all beef wiener on a steamed bun with yellow mustard, green relish, chopped onion and tomato, a slice of kosher dill pickle on top and celery salt.  In Chicago it is against the law to put catsup on a hot dog, and most hot dog joints will throw you out if you ask for it.  They have it on hand, but it's only for the french fries!

Never got the whole tomato on a hot dog.  I've had a Chicago dog in Chicago, and it was good, but the least favorite part was the tomato - and I love tomatoes.  With you on the ketchup/catsup thing. 

6 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

When I lived in Tucson, we have a local chain of restaurants called Luke’s, that were owned/operated by a family of escapees from Chicago.  Each restaurant was operated by a different family member and the menu varied slightly.  But Chicago dogs (one or two Vienna Beef weenies), Italian beef sandwiches, meatball subs (meatballs the size of softballs) and a few other “tamer” choices were offered at all of them.  It was a “rite of passage” for all agents who were TDY, most of which had never experience such cuisine.  Always interesting results.  We had a female agent originally from Southern California, who was assigned to our Seattle office who came to Tucson on a 30 day TDY.  She tended to lean toward tofu-esque type cuisine.  But we took her to Luke’s and convinced her to order a Combo Sandwich (Italian Beef and an Italian sausage).  When we parted ways that night, she raved about how delicious that sandwich was.  However, the next morning, she was ranting about how her intestinal tract exploded about 2:00 AM, necessitating an intimate relationship between her backside and the “porcelain throne” in her motel room.  She was the exception though.  Most other agents survived being Luke’d with no adverse effects.  And us locals ate there on a regular basis with no ill effects.

There used to be a chain of "drive-in" spots called "Dog'n'Suds".  A root beer joint that served hot dogs instead of burgers like all the other root beer joints like A&W, and Little Skippers. 

The dogs were just dogs, nothing real special about them except the novelty of hot dogs instead of burgers.  There hasn't been one of them around the Detroit metro area since the mid '60's( that I know of), but in the late '70's while driving through  Cadillac, Michigan on our way to a state forest campground we spotted a Dog'n'Suds on the main road through the city.   Surprised the hell out of me.  We just had to stop.   Haven't been that way since the mid '80's which was the last time I saw the place.  Somebody told me he thought it was still there doing business, but I can't be sure. 

Whitefang

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

There is supposed to be in Arizona a Sonoran Dog. I've never had one. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoran_hot_dog

Looks yummy. 

We like our sausages in the UK - fried, grilled, baked ('toad in the hole'), and/or with mash and gravy.  Chopped in a salad.....or a sausage sarnie with brown sauce or ketchup.  Woah!

I buy bratwurst occasionally and I grill that too. 

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Looks yummy. 

We like our sausages in the UK - fried, grilled, baked ('toad in the hole'), and/or with mash and gravy.  Chopped in a salad.....or a sausage sarnie with brown sauce or ketchup.  Woah!

A brat is a sausage, but you know that. If I grill sausages its gonna be Beer Brats. And get the cheapest beer you can, and don't forget to par-boil them in the beer with onions before grilling. No sense in wasting good beer to boil a sausage in. Like when guys gig, they bring there cheap guitars to play. 

Yes you guys in the UK with your bangers, mash and mushy peas.  I've had them, but not in the UK, and they were really good.  I've had the Heinz Brown Sause in Gibraltar. It was meh . . . I don't really every need to try it again. One day I'm gonna make it to the UK and eat all the killer fried food you guys perfected. 

Toad In A Hole sound like something you would be doing with your clothes off. Especially with some Spotted D-ick.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, jdgm said:

Looks yummy. 

You should try Piccallili in your sausage sarnie, it's heaven on Earth 🙂

Oh, yeah.  We're known here in the "D" for  our coneys too.  We have those places all over Wayne county.  The biggest coney rivalry is between the Lafayette Coney Island and the American Coney Island  restaurants located next door to each other  on Lafayette Blvd. near Woodward Ave.    Other notables...

Duly's on W. Vernor Ave.  near Junction Ave. "kitty-corner" from Holy Redeemer Catholic church on Junction.  Both can be seen in the Donald Sutherland movie "The Rosary Murders"  ('87)

Senate Coney Island on Michigan Ave. is long gone, but a second location on Ecorse Rd.in Taylor, MI is still going.  And carrying on the practice of keeping a bowl of fresh chopped onions on each table so the customer can pile on as much onion as he/she likes.  The original Senate was located two doors down from the old Senate theater, hence the name.  The theater no longer shows movies but is the home of a theater organ preservation society.

George's Coney Island has locations in eight cities, but none seem to be connected nor a continuation of the old George's Coney Island that was located on Jefferson Ave. in the Delray community in Southwest Detroit.  That place is long gone, and the George's now seem to be mostly Greek cuisine  places with coneys as an afterthought.

Then there's

Kirby's:  Located in the Renaissance Center Downtown Detroit

Zorba's with several locations

Toma's right here in Lincoln Park, MI.

And another few dozen independent places all over.

Whitefang

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

Don't eat hot dogs much, but when I do they have to be in natural casings unless they're Texas Hots like the kind you get in Buffalo.  When I lived there we'd call them barf dogs, but they're so good.

16272924_Kh8dAAXojMz9A9cQ1lEXXZ-tGPFYEj5

Is that for one person?

When I was a kid we used to go to Der Wienerschnitzel. It was in an A frame building, and you used to drive into the middle of it and that was the drive thru. I used to love their corn dogs. After a while they took "Der" out of the name of the place. In Japan on the street across from the base I was stationed at, the Japanese called corn dogs - Stick Dogs. 

NeqssSa.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper