Gibson Brands Forums

Things Many Young People Will Never Know...

Murph

12 hours ago, rct said:

Gino's was an east coast burger joint.  It was where we were introduced to KFC actually.  Gino Giant.  Sirloiner.  Lots of folks found them better tasting and better quality than McDonalds.  Not quite as good as Roy Rogers, but almost.

rct

Gino Marchetti was a Baltimore Colt and that was his franchise. One of the original ones was right up the road from where I grew up. It went through several changes since the 80s and about 10 years ago went back to being a Gino's again. I still eat there occasionally.

Even before it was Gino's it was called Ameche's, another Baltimore Colt That was one of the earliest servers of Kentucky Fried Chicken. I found a bunch of old Ameche's menus  while cleaning out my dads house about 10 years ago. They were from about 1961. Like a dummy I put them on eBay for a fixed price of $8 and they sold out immediately. About 2 weeks after I sold them, I noticed the people who bought them from me were re-selling them for about $300. Boy, did I feel like a jackass.   [crying]

Saw those frozen White Castle sliders in the freezer section and bought a box.  Nowhere close to the originals.  Don't know why - I suppose the vintage grease on the grill they cooked them on back in the day.      As far as late night dining -  we were connoisseurs at 1am when the bars closed.  Never really cared what the food tasted like - just needed something cheap to keep the digestive system operating.  One of us would order a Bacon, Egg & Cheese Sandwich.  The waitress at the counter and the short order cooks never heard of it.  A decade or so later -  McDonalds came out with the same thing.   If I'd been smart, I'd have stolen the idea from my buddy and gotten a patent and made billions. Like Zuckerberg did with FarceBook.

21 hours ago, gearbasher said:

Sliders.

I think they call them that, because they slide right in then they slide right out.

That's why WE called 'em "sliders" 'round here.   Mostly from the "sliding" right through you.  

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My cousin from Jersey refers to them as rat burgers.

It can be regional.  In my town(back in the '60's still an all white enclave) they called the place "Monkey Meats".  Nothing to do with the meat in the burger, but because many of the White Castle places were heavily frequented by African-Americans. 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Saw those frozen White Castle sliders in the freezer section and bought a box.  Nowhere close to the originals.  Don't know why - I suppose the vintage grease on the grill they cooked them on back in the day.     

WC's closest competitor was a chain called TOP HAT hamburgers.  Identical burger, only difference was Top Hat's patties didn't have the five holes.  Cooked the same too.  No grease or oil was ever used.  I worked at a Top Hat for a spell. Big flat stainless griddle, smothered with minced onions with the patties set on top of them then covered with the bun.  The only thing you could really "hold" was the pickle, which went on the patty just before serving them up. 

14 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

In NY we called them "belly bombers" and then later it changed to "sliders" for whatever reason. 

Around the corner from me is a corner eatery called CAMEO.  Before that it was called the COPY CAT, an all night diner that used to be located  in another part of the city and where once was a long time 24 hour diner called The Clock.  Anyway...

Back in the "day"( that day being 1969) the building both the Copy Cat and now Cameo is using was a place called BURGERLAND which boasted "The home of the BELLY BUSTER".  That place was there several years before BK came to town with their "Whopper".  The "Belly Buster" was larger and only a half buck more in cost(The Whopper in those days selling for 59 cents) And a far better burger.   "Progress" is really a subjective word.

Whitefang

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Krystal Burger is in the South. I think they have more bread in their bun and put mustard on it instead of ketchup.

Back in the late 70s. we hit a couple of McDonalds on a road trip to FL. They put mustard and ketchup on the burgers. Something I still do on occasion.

44 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Krystal Burger is in the South. I think they have more bread in their bun and put mustard on it instead of ketchup.

Yep. Meat, mustard and chopped onions. 
I grew up in Georgia and consumed many in my younger days.  The buns were great too!

26 minutes ago, brad1 said:

Yep. Meat, mustard and chopped onions. 
I grew up in Georgia and consumed many in my younger days.  The buns were great too!

When I see one I go. There used to be one in Atlanta Airport. I think B or D concourse. I spent 4 years traveling at least 6 times a month through there. Last time I had them was in Alabama.

On 9/30/2022 at 11:21 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

My cousin from Jersey refers to them as rat burgers.

Your being to kind on those.   I tried those greasy fat basted  things on the east side of Chicago while traveling out to King of Prussia for a 3 bee guitar show    Just awe full   .     

On 9/30/2022 at 10:53 AM, rct said:

Denny's was for bands that had money.

rct

In Arizona. Phoenix/Mesa back in the 70's we had Sambo's. 

That's where we drunks ate breakfast and drank coffee after gigs. 

They lost their mascot soon after...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Murph said:

Cali had Sambo’s when I was growing up. It was close by another gastronomic culinary delight - Bob’s Big Boy.

16 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

On the subject of chain "restaurants":

Why was Ronald McDonald arrested?

He stuck his Big Mac in Wendy's Hot and Juicy.

Mayor McCheese filmed it and the Hamburgerler stole the tape, and sold it on the fast food black market. It predates Tommy Lee’s tape.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, brad1 said:

Why would that be? The Atlanta Braves Mascot is called Blooper.

What is wrong with him?

GettyImages-1239849428-683x1024.jpg

brad 1,

Please tell me again why sports teams need to have mascots?????

I watch sports to see sports, not these idiotic figures performing their childish antics.

Curious why one doesn't see mascots at golf tournaments, tennis matches, or Olympic events, and I don't think they suffer for it.

RBSinTo

3 hours ago, Murph said:

Ya think maybe cause Little Beige Sambo was just a tad racist?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

brad 1,

I watch sports to see sports, not these idiotic figures performing their childish antics.

Curious why one doesn't see mascots at golf tournaments, tennis matches, or Olympic events, and I don't think they suffer for it.

RBSinTo

It gives the kids something to see other than grown men scratching their nads for 4 hours in the outfield.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

RBSinTo

Mostly, I think at a pro level with MLB, NFL, MBA, NHL etc...  it's for the kids and families.  

The sporting events you are comparing to  I don't usually see a lot of kids in the audience at a golf or tennis tournament, and these are not "Team sports" either.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It gives the kids something to see other than grown men scratching their nads for 4 hours in the outfield.

Yes. Also, in tennis and golf the crowd has to be quiet much of the time. Not so in most other sports where noise is wanted. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brad1 said:

Yes. Also, in tennis and golf the crowd has to be quiet much of the time. Not so in most other sports where noise is wanted. 

I smack a ball with a stick, go find it and repeat, and you out there better shut your pie hole while I’m doing this task of great importance.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Murph said:

We had a couple of Sambo's 'round here too.  Last one was closed by '91.  They had good food.  RAM'S HORN took over it's building.

I thought the whole flap over the name and the long time story of 'Little Black Sambo" was ridiculous.   There was NOTHING derogatory about black people in the story.  In fact, it was the TIGERS who were evil.  The only other people in the story were Sambo's Mother and Father, who were shown to be a very loving and close family unit.  And considering some of the names African-Americans gave their sons and daughters throughout the '70s and '80's, Sambo really isn't all that bad.

Whitefang

5 hours ago, Murph said:

Jesus H. I had not thought about that place since the last time I ate in one, somewhere south of the Mason Dixon!

rct