Gibson Brands Forums

Nitro Finshes

Rubbersoul93

Hello folks,

New to the forum, and am looking forward to being a part of this community!

My main guitar for the last 10 years has been a 2001 Gibson Explorer Gothic. I'm looking into a new guitar, but had some concerns. I can see that most if not all Gibson guitars currently on the market have a nitro finish. After doing some research, I learned that the nitro finishing can be dangerous, is extremely flammable, and creates toxic fumes. I've also heard talk of nitro guitars never fully curing, and emitting small amounts of fumes for years and years. My concern is, is there any health hazard associated with nitro finishes? I have two small boys under 3, and they love to touch my Explorer, and I'm worried that this finish might be hazardous for them to touch (or eat) as my youngest one likes to put his mouth on everything.  I don't want be afraid of touching my guitar because of the finish. I know this sounds paranoid, but any insight you guys have would be much appreciated!

No,  there is no harm or health hazard to be concerned with here .    Once it's applied and cured at the factory it's innate.

The formulas for the finishes on these guitars have been in use since the 1950s and was very much the same that was used for autos back then

Essentially, you're creating or worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

The only finish I can think of that isn’t crazy toxic would be shellac or wax, neither of which would be practical for a mass produced instrument. Anyway it’s only toxic when the finish is being applied at the factory

Any finish being applied at a factory is going to be toxic. The finish will be completely cured before it is even buffed etc at the factory. If it isn’t cured the buffer will gum up the finish 

Edited by Dub-T-123

Guitars are supposed to be touched, how else are you gonna play it? If nitro was hazardous, most if not all of us here would have Nitro-hemorrhaging. There are pills for it, but reading the side affects takes up most of the commercial.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rct said:

Hoo boy.  A new problem in need of a solution looking for a problem.  Nitro Cover, something like that.  Protect everyone in the bar from your toxic guitar.

rct

Oh  we must ask the next question

What would California do??

Nitro is flammable in a liquid state.   When spraying , the oversprays are flammable.  

when sanding nitro dry. It can create dust that can get into your lungs 

in a dried state. No.   No more toxic than the wood it sits on  .     

urathane is no different.  As a liquid , its toxic, when sprayed it has a catalyst that will eat your lungs.  And is very flammable

when it is dry ,cured.  No harm.

sanding certain woods like ebony or rosewood can cause serious damage if you dont wear proper protection.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Pinch said:

C'mon guys. He or she's concerned. Let's not make fun of that. 

The good news is: no, you can let it go. It's fine. 

Yeah, you are right.  I apologize.  Enjoy your guitars, let the kids enjoy your guitars.  My cats have always enjoyed my guitars, and I wouldn't let them near anything that would harm them.  Ignore us guitar curmudgeons and rock on with it.

rct

I want to thank you folks all for the feedback. I do tend to be a bit over cautious about things sometimes, and do often find myself the butt of the joke,  but no hard feelings. I appreciate all of the input, and I'm definitely less concerned. The worry over the nitro has kept me from grabbing one, but man that 70s Explorer in white sure looks nice!