Gibson Brands Forums

Marketing Gone Mad

SteveFord

That wallet is nothing compared to the bag

THE DUFFLE

This handcrafted, USA-made brown leather duffle bag uses premium full-grain leather and materials in a similar style as the iconic Lifton™ 5-Latch Cases used by Gibson in its Golden Era in the 1950s.

only $ 799

LiftonLeatherGoods_Duffle_BigImage1.png

26 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I'm tempted by the backpack but then everyone would think I'm a tightwad for not springing for that duffle bag.

Plus the local ruffians would poke fun of the pink lining and hurt my feelings, the big meanies.

YPCz9tr.jpg

Yeah.. Dont get me wrong..  They all actually look really nice and I am sure they are but like their high end guitars they are not for the "normal" person.. And there are always people who have the money and will buy it which is fine. But I just long for the days when Gibson was just a guitar company. I know they have to make money and we live in a tough financial world but id rather they concentrate on making guitars.  In saying that, at least this sort of thing is comparatively cheap to do compared to when Henry was for some odd reason buying up random electronic companies.

At least it's made the US.

Do not EVER buy any of leather goods Made In India on eBay.  The stench from a motorcycle tail bag was so bad (how bad was it?) it was so bad after 2 weeks of airing out in the garage it left in the back of a garbage truck.

The pink lining is a deal breaker.  I guess I"m not secure enough in my toxic masculinity.   Yes -  good wallets are expensive.  And they'll last decades. Top Grain, Full Grain,   etc.   Some 'leather' is just  ground up 'leather' sawdust held together by glue.    Some belts made of it fall apart faster than a  wet newspaper.     Harley-Davidson has a half dozen different types of wallets - and they range from $40 - $60.        This $170 wallet doesn't reflect well on the guitar side of their business.  

Man, that duffle is nice.

You guys sound like a bunch of Esteban players.

I would think Gibson owners would appreciate fine leather goods. My wallet came from American Benchcraft. I carry a wallet because I always carry several hundred dollars. My Dad always said if you didn't have a hundred dollars on you, you were a vagrant. I didn't want to be a vagrant. Plus, if there's a power blackout, or pos system goes down, I have cash.

I bought a fine "The Gibson" leather strap before the flood at Opry Mills and it was nearly a hundred bucks I thought. Maybe 65? That was a LONG time ago,

That is some fine leather goods, re-branded from a very fine maker obviously. I'm going in for some last-minute shopping.

3 minutes ago, Murph said:

Man, that duffle is nice.

Lots of things in life that companies make are nice indeed, and there is no reason to believe the wallet and bag are not of fine quality.  But once again its stupid marketing stuff for rich doctors to get to bring their jockstraps and forth to the gym to play some game called Squash.

11 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

The pink lining is a deal breaker.  I guess I"m not secure enough in my toxic masculinity.   Yes -  good wallets are expensive.  And they'll last decades. Top Grain, Full Grain,   etc.   Some 'leather' is just  ground up 'leather' sawdust held together by glue.    Some belts made of it fall apart faster than a  wet newspaper.     Harley-Davidson has a half dozen different types of wallets - and they range from $40 - $60.        This $170 wallet doesn't reflect well on the guitar side of their business.  

I thought the pink inside is what you guys want to make it like it was back in the glory days? I just set Big Bill for a response with that.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I hope it has a pocket for my condoms.

Sure.  It isn't nice when your wallet is completely empty.  [cool]

But y'know, I do need a new wallet.  Problem is, that everyone I've seen so far no longer has those clear vinyl(or whatever) sleeves for photographs.  I guess they figure EVERYBODY is dumb enough to put ALL their sentimental photos on some friggin' phone.  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

It's good business when people pay hundreds to do your advertising for you. 

This reminds me of something my oldest daughter did that made me proud....  And this was several years ago.....

She was trying to enjoy a few drinks with some friends in a bar and some "loser"( as she put it) kept trying to hit on her.  She did make some small talk to be polite, but also kept calling him "Tommy".  At one point he got a bit upset and said, "My name isn't "Tommy", it's Dave.  Why do you keep calling me "Tommy"?  And she told him she just assumed it was his name as it was printed in big letters on the front of his T-shirt.  He laughed and told her, "No.  That stands for Tommy Hilfiger.  You know, the fashion designer?"

She acted impressed saying, "You mean you know a famous fashion designer well enough to borrow his clothes?"  He laughed and said, "No.  I bought this T-shirt.  I paid THIRTY BUCKS for it!"

She gave him a puzzled look and asked, "You mean you paid that much money for a shirt with somebody else's name on it?   What are you..... some kind of moron?"  [thumbup]

He wound up calling her a b!tch and stalked off. 

Whitefang

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I thought the pink inside is what you guys want to make it like it was back in the glory days? I just set Big Bill for a response with that.

Yeah - the 'CaliGirl' case.  Tan on the outside, pink inside.   If you have a $4K guitar in it - no one is going to think you're a poser.  Unless it's a Martin guitar in a Gibson case, of course.