Gibson Brands Forums

For You If Money Is No Object (Or If Your A Doctor Or Lawyer)

Sgt. Pepper

• Sgt. Pepper changed the title to For You If Money Is No Object (Or If Your A Doctor Or Lawyer)

[laugh] I don't think doctors/lawyers is so relevant nowadays - they would mostly just be paid by someone else to work in a business [mellow].

Pro sports maybe...you know, win some golf tournament or sign a baseball/football contract and celebrate with a 59 Les Paul...or two! (more tasteful than those chunky gold necklaces at least)

Edited by 'Scales

On 10/21/2023 at 1:06 PM, Ceptorman said:

The Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay has a massive collection of old instruments. He paid 4 mill for David Gilmour's Strat. He has Ringo's first kit, Jerry Garcia's Tiger. It's all worth over 1 billion.

At least he's buying musical instruments, and not politicians, DAs and judges. 

13 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

And I hear he doesn't buy a lot of painkillers anymore!

He does tour with his band. He has assembled a few fine musicians....Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Mike Wanchic, Tom Bukovac, Kenny Aronoff.

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

That's cause he's  Gazillionaire and doesn't need to.

I remember seeing him on ESPN one day. At the Colts practice he was handing out $100 bills to fans watching. 

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

And I hear he doesn't buy a lot of painkillers anymore!

He does tour with his band. He has assembled a few fine musicians....Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Mike Wanchic, Tom Bukovac, Kenny Aronoff.

He did enjoy pharmaceuticals. I wonder if he was friends with Brett Favre. He liked meds too.

• 8 months later...
On 10/21/2023 at 7:15 AM, 'Scales said:

[laugh] I don't think doctors/lawyers is so relevant nowadays - they would mostly just be paid by someone else to work in a business [mellow].

Pro sports maybe...you know, win some golf tournament or sign a baseball/football contract and celebrate with a 59 Les Paul...or two! (more tasteful than those chunky gold necklaces at least)

This is absolutely a lot of money for both a lawyer and a doctor. I don’t even know how you can earn so much. Moreover, you need to spend them and you must be sure that this is a trifle for you. That is, there should still be 10 times the same amount in the safe. My mother is a doctor, but she is unrealistically far from this figure. I was just looking for examples of nursing projects and found https://papersowl.com/blog/nursing-capstone-project-ideas for myself. I also want to continue my mother’s work, it’s a family affair for us. In fact, I think only lawyers can earn that much. For some reason I am sure of this.

I agree with you here. A lot of money, my mother is a doctor, I know what her salary is.

Edited by havasasabata

For me if money was no object, I'd immediately get new windshield wiper blades for my car.

Top of the line. Spare no expense. 

But since it is an object, I settle for the cheaper ones.

If only....

RBSinTo

Silly money. 

I briefly owned a very nice 1955 gold top. Briefly because it turned out to be stolen. It did not play or sound as good as my 1971 Norlin gold top.  Not even close.  I said what I said.

I have two newer guitars that I would stack up against any high dollar collectible. A 2023 LP Custom (from the Custom Shop) and a 2009 Fender Stratocaster 1960 NOS (a one-off from Fender’s Custom Shop). I can’t for the life of me imagine any guitar that Gibson or Fender has put out in the past playing any better than these two.  I know the collector’s market is dictating these insane prices, but people (most of us!) who have spent their lives with our noses pressed up against the glass when it comes to these holy grail guitars, build them up in our minds so big that if we ever got our hands on one, there is a good chance our illusions would be forever shattered. 

If I had $450,000 kicking around, I would buy a new Les Paul Standard and keep the rest of the money for general living expenses.

Then again, I have a recent Les Paul Standard so I'd just keep all of the money and forget the guitar.