Gibson Brands Forums

I could never afford it but......

jdgm

I've never even played a Byrdland - it says the scale is 23 1/2" which is....very short. 

I remember playing someone's early 60s 330 which also had a shorter than normal scale, am I right?

Edited by jdgm

27 minutes ago, jdgm said:

I remember playing someone's early 60s 330 which also had a shorter than normal scale, am I right?

I believe the 330 was "normal" 24.75 scale BUT the neck joined the body at a lower fret than the 335 family so it might have presented an illusion of being a shorter scale. Having said that, they did make some "long neck" 330s in the later 60s, which may have joined the same way as a 335. 

• Thanks 1

Seeing Ted and a pile of Byrdlands reminds me of seeing a used instrument list from Elderly Instruments from 1984 or so. It had listed a black Byrdland formerly owned by Ted for $900. That was about the going rate for a Byrdland at that time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gearbasher said:

That Byrdland is nice, but I prefer the look of the Venetion  cutaway versions:

https://reverb.com/item/73524281-gibson-byrdland-1969-sunburst?bk=

e1j2ddhdnw1ezg1en9lh.jpg

I kind of agree - the sharp cutaway does look a bit odd which I think must be due to the shorter scale length.   And this one is almost affordable too - though still way out of my league!

However I'd be very happy with either...or both [biggrin]

On 1/20/2024 at 10:25 AM, jdgm said:

I've never even played a Byrdland - it says the scale is 23 1/2" which is....very short. 

I always wanted a Byrdland because of the short scale but the prices are crazy. I had a '65 ES-330 and it had the regular Gibson scale length but less upper fret access which made the neck look shorter. I had a 1957 Fender Musicmaster for many years. It had the 23 1/2" scale and I loved it. I could do Albert King-like bends with ease. It only took a couple of minutes to get used to the shorter scale. These days I play a Taylor GS Mini Acoustic Bass which also has the 23 1/2" scale, which is really strange for a bass, but it works nicely other than lack of upper fret access. Plugged in it sounds just like an electric bass.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:27 PM, sparquelito said:

Ted Nugent-approved!!

obcSwBB.png

I think he is a PRS guy now.

dYm9d4u.jpg

Hey there is Derek. Met him in Carter's Vintage Guitars. Most people think Ted sung on the self titled solo album. Derek sang most of the songs on T N and Free For All, except when Meatloaf was singing. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ted does indeed own a PRS or two.

The beat-up camo pattern one there, and a beat-up tiger striped one from his Damned Yankees days.

He's also got 17 Gibson Byrdlands, in a variety of finishes and trims.
Most of them really, really, old.

Ted proudly plays a number of Gibson Les Paul models.
Some from 1958 and 1959.
An American Flag one.

And he has a Gibson Custom Super 400 12-string, of all things.

🫠

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 1

After Cat Scratch Fever and even on that album, he was already wearing it thin. Weekend Warriors was terrible, and what came after, State Of Shock and Scream Dream, were absolutely laughable. 

• Like 1