Gibson Brands Forums

Overall, is Gibson overrated?

heymisterk

They are expensive, but I don't think they are overrated at all. They do a good job of delivering excellent instruments. At least the ones I have seen and tried have been excellent.

My Gibson sounds great. It is no wonder that they are the choice of so many professionals.

While american Fenders (of the standard line, either telecaster or stratocaster) are way cheaper than Gibsons of the standard line (be it SG or Les Paul), I think none of them (fender or gibson) are overrated, I do agre with KSG, they are a little overpriced (both of them).

Now if we were talking about mustangs, firebirds, explorers, jaguars and Vs, well, they seem to be fairly priced, but that caould be because they dont sell as much anyway... if they rised the price for a standard V or a standard Mustang those wouldn't sell at all (just my opinion), but they know they can get LP, SG, Tele and Strat prices wherever they want to and people will still buy them.

That said, I think the firebird is a highly underpriced guitar.

Not overrated, but certainly over priced!! But, so it almost everything else, these days!

Looked at food, and even bar soap, lately?! How about Medical Insurance premiums?!

You're going to need your "KY" jelly, at the check out counter, anywhere you go, anymore.

:>b

CB

I don't think they're overrated. They're definitely expensive. -Especially for a LP Standard. But what do you want? They're the originals, the coolest guitars on Earth.

What do you think is the price increase for adding the Gibson logo to the guitar ... $100? $200? $500?

Definitely depends on the model. I don't think SGs are nearly as severely overpriced as the Les Pauls. The Gibson SG Classics - especially when you can find one used as I did - can be a relative bargain.

I know the Gibson custom shop stuff is terrific, IMO, but no more so than, say, a Hamer or Heritage. Yet those two companies - which are in essence custom shops - charge much less. Still, you could argue they don't hold their value like a Gibson.

Overall I'd say no,but some things with Gibson or some models sure are highly over rated and bragged over,ie,all the Reissue LP's,R this,R that,and all those historics.I guess they have there place,but they are or appear to be veiwed as something more than they really are.

I think they are about right. You can't compare a bolt on maple neck/maple fretboard Fender with plastic single coils, to a bound, inlayed, carved top guitar with chromed/gold humbuckers with a rosewood board, when it comes to dollars.

I prefer the bigger sound, better woods, ect. To each their own. I own a Fender or two, and have owned others.

My favorites are the Gibsons. Always have been.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Over rated, I don't think so. It's a great guitar! Over priced? I don't think so.... Look at it this way. What does sticking the name Gibson on a guitar mean. It means you are paying for a guitar that has a long history of outstanding guitar making. That company has several factories, employ's thousands of people, has a tremendous overhead. Have you ever stopped to think of what the expense must be to keep it's operation going every month? They have to stock their factories with product (wood to make guitars) pay for the machinery to make the guitars, people to operate the machinery, paint the guitars, buff, polish, design, quality control....etc. The list could go on for ever.

Can a good guitar be sold for less? Sure. Does the price reflect what the materials needed to make the guitar? No. What are we paying so much for? Maybe it's over a hundred years of history and development or an immense infrastructure that supplies jobs to hundreds or thousands of people. Sticking the name Gibson on a guitar means you have a quality instrument backed by everything mentioned above. I think its worth it.

Archived