Gibson Brands Forums

How did you learn to play?

RichCI

A combination of a total of three months worth of lessons from two very different instructors, being self taught from there on out, learning everything the hard way, and it's a front I suck. Being a songwriter saved me from just being a bedroom player. Otherwise no musician in their right mind would have me in their band.

With respect, I refer you to the Poll Question : How'd you learn to play the guitar? thread,

from sometime back in January '09 - 35% formal, 35% self-taught and some comedy.....

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12823

Personally, I was taught by andalucian flamenco players and one Mr.Moore, but

inspired by just about every picker I ever heard (including Carroll and Hudson).

Self taught from Mel Bay's book "Fun With Guitar", copywrite 1958. It's still in print, and when anybody asks me about learning to play the guitar, I go buy them that book. It's slightly dated, but it makes a good gag gift. Although it is a still a great book to learn from, you've got to get through playing songs like "On Top Of Old Smokey", She'll Be Comin' 'Round The Mountain", and "I'll Be Working On The Railroad", all the 50's classics.

I suppose their are now many similar books with updated songs.

I can guarentee I woudlnt be as good as I am without proper instruction, I simply dont have the attention span. My erm "instructor" doesnt sit there and rant about this and that. I get to learn what I want and I learn from said songs.

Funny...when I play many people say it hurts their ears too!

If it makes you feel better, when I started back to play, the first week, I found three birds, 2 pigeons dead on my roof....

I always thought they were flying, heard my playing and dropped dead.

It didn't help that they were splayed out, like they were flying....

I started in the 1st grade taking piano lessons and took them for 6 years.

When I wanted to learn the guitar it was pretty easy beings I could read

music and also knew music theory. So I guess I was self taught the guitar

but not learning the how to read music and the theory. I still play keys

but keep it on the down low because every time I say I can play keys

guess who suddenly has a new job playing keys. LOL Thanks to my mom

I can now pick up about any instrument and learn it in a short time.

CW

Archived