Gibson Brands Forums

Do you own a spotless guitar?

Riffster

Most of mine would almost qualify.

Takes a sharp eye to find any issues on most of them.

See GEAR PICS link in signature below.

neo' date=' i honestly feel that you have too many guitars and i'd be very happy to relieve you of a few of them [biggrin

Mine came new' date=' still in the box with a small ding on the back....tiny, but there.

Nothing more than a battlescar.[/quote']

Yea mine came with tiny dent on the edge of the back, I felt it before I saw it.

There were also some swirls mark on the belt buckle area but those are buffable.

Somehow I already put a dent by one of the control knobs, small but just the first of many to come, as careful as I try to be it just does not work out for me. I scratch stuff right away no matter what it is and guitars are no exception.

My first LP has several dings and most from trying to put it in the case, after 3 dings/scratches I do not care as much.

The way I see it is that I rather it happen sonner than later, taking extreme care of a guitar and then putting a ding 5 years down the road would hurt more I guess...I would not know [biggrin]

My Truckster is still showroom condition. I got it brand new on 3/28/10. My Gibson Explorer I bought brand new on 4/8/08 and it has only 2 or 3 tiny indentations on the body. I got a Fender A/E mandolin about 5 years ago which it still ding free. Everything else has a few dings and worn spots, some worse than others.

I have several, but also have several that have varying degrees of 'normal playing wear'. For example I've got an olympic white American stratocaster that I bought new in 1993 and even though I have used it at gigs it is still pristine. It's funny because if you buy a new guitar you always remember the first ding, and always notice it too, but I also have for example a 1966 J-45 with all kinds of things like weather checking and dings here and there, and not only do I love it, I don't seem to notice the cosmetic blemishes, and they certainly don't bothet me. It's hard if you are a gigging musician to keep every instrument pristine, but I do look after my guitars as well as I can.

I have to say I am surprised by how many of you have spotless guitars.

I do not mind wear or marks on my guitars but where I draw the line for some reason is belt buckle rash, I am always careful there.

Nah, all my guitars have their own bit of mojo. My newest (new to me, anyway) LP Special is probably the closest thing I've ever had to a spotless guitar. I'm working on effin' that up though. -Nothing on purpose, but they get marked up when you play 'em. I play the crap out of all my stuff.

Well, I play my guitars, so they get some honest wear, but most are in amazing condition, still.

I always put my belt buckle to the side away from any possibility of it coming in contact with

the back of the guitar, I usually wear T-shirts in the Summer, and longer heavier type non-buttoned

shirts, in the Winter, when playing. So, they rarely get a mark, on them. Sure..."S..T Happens," but

I (admittedly) baby my gear, and take really good care of it.

But, some of my friends, and other folks I know...their guitars and amps are just "tools," and means

to an end. They don't give a Rat's A.., about appearences. The more trashed looking, the better, in

their eyes. Must be something to that, if you have to pay 2X for a "relic'd" finish, nowadays? LOL!

CB

Archived