Gibson Brands Forums

So what are you doing for ...

TommyK

I make my living making the earth greener... and bluer... and redder...

I work for a company that develops and manufactures printing inks. Since the EPA forced printers to reduce solvent emissions into the atmosphere in the early '70s, my job is to make "greener" inks.

I'm a Soil Conservation Technician so I do a little every day. Or at least that's how my job is supposed to work. Don't let me get political. If you guys knew how many center pivot irrigation systems we've cost-shared on in the interest of saving water....

Most of the cropland around here is in a potatoes/oats rotation, sometimes potatoes/oats/broccoli. One of my favorite things to help cost-share on is to have them do one year of potatoes, one year of oats underseeded with clover, then leave the oat stubble and clover over the winter and let it go to hay the next year. Then they can fall plow in preparation for potatoes the fourth year. The soil gets a benefit of a winter cover and the organic matter in the soil will increase because of the hay year. And with biomass/pellet production becoming more mainstream, the hay year could become more commercially viable. We offer 'rental' payments or incentive payments for them to pull land out of production for that one cycle. It's only for one three year cycle though, not long term.

Oy, I could preach....

I left my water running in the street all day and bought styrofoam containers for everything I looked for some of the plastic rings from six packs of pop to throw into the ocean before I remembered I was in Arizona so instead i just threw away all my aluminium can's. All that and I still can't compete with the icelandic volcano and all that ash so mother nature shows us up again.[biggrin]

One thing nice about today was it was in the 60's instead of 90's so I also got a good chuckle out of global warming at least for today[crying]

I'm waiting for Saturn Day [biggrin]

Better hurry up. This brand is due' date=' in October, for the 'auto brands in the sky', with the Cord, Dusenberg and Huppmobile. [biggrin

I mowed the yard with my one lunger push mower. To make up for it my wife and I did plant two blueberry bushes and 6 asparagus roots last week-end.

I've been green for some time, driving a barely-big-enough-for-my-arse Saturn SL-1. 36 daily MPG!

We've used a solar clothes drier since we bought our first home 15 years ago. Now, apparently, they are back in vogue. I really hate being 'in vogue', but since 'vogue' caught up with us, I guess that's okay.

We can and / or freeze our own fruits and vegetables as much as possible.

So... I guess I'm allowed to burn a half pint of gas to keep the grass 1.5" tall. Grass is healthier and greener and less weed prone that way. As such, I only have to knock back the dandelions with Tri-Mec every other year. I 'Round-Up' (glyphosate) the edges to minimize the gas guzzling trim work.

I don't smoke, nor do I participate in gratuitous use of small engines for sport or entertainment. Just law mowing.

Archived