Gibson Brands Forums

Your first guitar, and do you still own it?

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

It's shouldn't be surprising that everyone here in the editorial department at Gibson is also a musician. And as we're known to do (about 15 times a day), we recently turned away from our computers and started talking about music - specifically, first guitars.

After a quick run around the room here, it was determined that 75% of us (3 out of 4) still own our first guitars. (If you're curious, Michael still owns his Epiphone Texan, Bryan still owns his "shitty Alvarez acoustic", and I still own my Gibson "The Paul"...only Andrew has parted ways with his Framus 12-string.)

What was your first guitar - and do you still own it?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's shouldn't be surprising that everyone here in the editorial department at Gibson is also a musician. And as we're known to do (about 15 times a day)' date=' we recently turned away from our computers and started talking about music - specifically, first guitars.

After a quick run around the room here, it was determined that 75% of us still (3 out of 4) still own our first guitars. (If you're curious, Michael still owns his Epiphone Texan, Bryan still owns his "****ty Alvarez acoustic", and I still own my Gibson "The Paul"...only Andrew has parted ways with his Framus 12-string.)

What was your first guitar - and do you still own it?

[/quote']

Nope.

I was going to get a 50's Studio Les Paul for my daughter's first guitar, but I can't find out if they're actually going to ship them to the store where I placed my order.

My first guitar was an entry level Explorer copy by a company called Arbor. The guitar had a bolt on neck (whose joint I ruined with an ill fitting case) and a Kahler whammy bar w/ locking nut.

No, I don't still have it. I donated it to a friend for a shop class project. He built me a Koa body*, sanded down the lacquer finish on the neck, and put it on the new body. It made a killer guitar that I stupidly gave away in college because a friend wanted the parts off of it.#-o The body was given to a some burn out.

*shape was a double cut away like a Les Paul Jr.

My Grandmother bought me a Franciscan CN-4 nylon string acoustic when I was 7 years old, back in NY. First guitar i've ever had and will never get rid of it. I'm now 27, and live in FL. I still use it all the time (only nylon string I have) although it's rather small, still playable but looks kinda funny lol. Unfortunately my Grandmother passed away a few years later, so it's one of maybe a handful of things I have to remember her by, atleast things that she actually gave to me personally.

Mine was a white Squire Strat. Had it for around 10 years but lost it in a basement flood. Funny thing is, if I still had it I probably would have never became a guitar junkie. It was the loss of that guitar that led to my first Gibson and the many more since...

I still have mine: 1972 Gibson SG250-W. One of 33 ever made in walnut.

I put the guitar on layaway at some point in 1974 from Hanich Music in West Covina. I delivered the Harold Examiner news paper and made payments on it, until my parents pulled it out of layaway and gave it to me on Christmas of 74[biggrin] ... What a nice surprise for a 10 year old kid[cool]

She's all original with exception of the tuners, the originals stopped holding tune, but I still have them. To be honest I still act like a 10 year old kid when I walk in to music stores when looking at all the guitars hanging from the walls[blush] .... I have a feeling that will never leave me much to the chagrin of my wife[biggrin]

083-1.jpg?1275348164

Epiphone FT145SB "Texan"

FT145SBfullsize-1.jpg

She has made an appearance as my avatar. She is still my avatar on the Epi board. "Epaphrodite" is the subject of my neck block surgery treatise on the Epiphone board. Her neck has now been secure for 3 years. Her action is still a tad high, but I still love that tone.

I will never part with her. I've often mused that when I die I'll have a friend play a ballad then smash her over my tombstone, then toss the shards into the grave before they cover me over with sod.

My very first guitar was a white Vantage Flying-V that had started to turn cream color from being in the shop window.

When I stopped playing in concert band in school, I took my trumpet up to the shop and traded for it and some crappy amp.

No, I haven't owned it in years.

I don't have a picture of mine, but here's one from the web, it looked just like this:

Vantage.jpg

The first guitar I started to learn on was the family nylon string "Marco Polo" sitting in the cardboard case in the corner of the living room by the piano. When I got my first electric, a "Ranger", with a "Custom Craft" amp, I gave the nylon string to another kid in the neighboorhood.

When I got my first REAL electric, I gave the "Ranger" to the same kid. He should really thank me for giving him two POS guitars, instead of becoming a guitar player he's now a brain surgeon.

Here's the "Ranger".

3082696896_7e0e1c50fd_o.jpg

Yes. A D'Aggostino solid body electric with brass hardware. My parents bought it for me when I was a teen back in the early 80's and, in retrospect, it's a pretty nice guitar. It had a really nice natural finish and is one of those "hippy sandwiches" (multi-piece, neck through and with flamed "wings") but has stickers all over it that I put there to make it look more punk/metal (including radiation caution tape and a sticker that says "Show me your ****!"). "One of these days" I want to fix it up and get it playable again as the neck has dings all along it and the electronics were pillaged decades ago for some forgotten reason.

Archived