Gibson Brands Forums

How Obsessed with a Musician or Band Are You?

crazyhair

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no reasons to get huffy [cool] I said I meant no personal disrespect, I was merely hoping someone could show me SOMETHING that was good from him,, because I cant find anything, and Fred you arent the first person Ive seen say they like him,, I was curious and thought I was missing something, I didnt even know about that second band you posted [blink] nuff said and sorry if I ruffled feathers [angry]

I'm going to be ambiguous enough to say that I've got a borderline-unhealthy obsession with BOTH Angus Young (and AC/DC for that matter, since they're my favourite band) and Jack White, who is my favourite performer next to Angus. I strongly urge everyone to give Jack White a chance, because he has fantastic musical values, is a great songwriter and can tackle just about every musical task wonderfully. You already seem to grasp just how great Angus is though :-

Here are some more diverse videos of JW showing what else he's capable of:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE] <-- as a drummer

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

As crazy, as this is, or may sound..."The Beatles" actually saved my "soul/life," in a way.

So, I've always had a mild obsession, with them. Musically, at least. Enjoyed their personalities,

as well, and really "grew up," with them, as did my whole generation, in one way, or another...

fan's or not. But, I was never one who worried about every little detail, of their lives...which was

mostly "publicity," and (quite often) incorrect...lol. At least, according to a lot of their own accounts.

But, that's as close to an obsession, for a band, or performer, as I've ever been. And...I Still love the

music, as much...maybe more, as I ever did.

Others, from that era, would be:

Bob Dylan, The Byrds, Yardbirds, Animals, Rolling Stones, Buffalo Springfield. But, again....for their music, mostly.

And..."The Blues," for me...and it's various artists, were "discovered," through these artists, or their members,

initially.

CB

The only band I was really ever obsessed about was Metallica. When I was 12, my whole damn room was covered, floor to ceiling, in posters and magazine pictures of those dudes. I mail-ordered Metallica comic books, cassette singles, a dubbed (probably 495th generation) copy of 'No Life 'Till Leather'...all kinds of stuff. I had a freakin' Metallica scrap book, Metallica calendars, and way too many of their band t-shirts. I'm not ashamed. Haha. I was such a nerd. I seriously didn't listen to anything except all my Metallica tapes from the age of about 12-16 or so. The first thing I ever bought with a paycheck (from my first job at 16) was the Live Sh*t Binge & Purge boxed set. I still have all the stuff from my collection. It's probably not worth much, but to me it's pretty awesome. Thankfully I outgrew my obsession and branched off into other stuff. I still love 'em though.

no reasons to get huffy [cool] I said I meant no personal disrespect' date=' I was merely hoping someone could show me SOMETHING that was good from him,, because I cant find anything, and Fred you arent the first person Ive seen say they like him,, I was curious and thought I was missing something, I didnt even know about that second band you posted :-k nuff said and sorry if I ruffled feathers :-k [/quote']

I've learned that with music, you either hear/feel it or you don't....no one can "show you" what you are missing. Best to leave well enough alone and enjoy your tunes...

When I started playing guitar, I was obsessed with Black Sabbath. I was about 13 or 14 then. After that I was obsessed with AC/DC. Then I started listening to Jack White (I know we've been down this road before). I got into The White Stripes, then The Raconteurs, then The Dead Weather, and eventually, started listening to older musicians like Sam Hopkins, Son House, T-Bone Walker, and a few more. I went from metal- hard rock- blues.

I've got to say Jack White opened me up to a lot more music than i ever listened to. But I still jam out to AC/DC when I can [cool]

Being of the prehistoric age group (as my kids often refer to me) I don't obsess over musicians as much as I did when I was younger, but I guess the four I kinda did the most would have been Page, Frampton, Frehley, and Van Halen.

I have a tatt of my favorite band on the back of my neck.

I got it when I was 18.

Every time I hear one of their songs I can understand why I got it and I am glad.

When people ask what it stands for I know it might have not been the best placement.

When people see it and tell me they love the band its a pretty cool feeling.

Sadly, I'm way more obsessed with Madonna *coughinnergayman

It never fails if I am talking to someone or at a party talking about music or a musician. Out of the woodwork comes the person who knows every little exact detail of every band member or musician. Everything from their underwear size to the kind of toothpaste they use. I worked for someone once who was this way always trying to impress people about his knowledge of every musician known to man' date=' but could not play an instrument. Maybe because they can't play, they need to make up for it, who knows?

To me the music speaks for itself! [/quote']

well i know alot of **** about music and i quiz my dad and stuff like that since i know moe about music from his time then he knows. but i dony know the underwear size that would be odd if any body did. if you go and tell someone the underwear size of slash then your a stalker

I tend to Obsess over an Artist when they strike my fancy. Can't just listen to the music, I have to know what drove them to Play or Write the way they do. What members stay what members have left, how did that change the dynamic of the group (ala Eagles, Journey etc.), what gear they used, specially guitars, what mics and techniques were used to record.

Over the years I've "Obsessed" over SRV, Zeppelin, Leon Russell, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Buffalo Springfield, Rush, and a few others that escape me now.

On the Jack White subject, at least he's not John Mayer [biggrin] . J/k, I appreciate what White's trying to do, but I think he overdoes the whole "Different for Different's Sake" angle. And I just can't stand his Dead Weather project, stop that girl from singing or playing the guitar, Please!

I'm also a RUSH freak and also very proud of it. My one twin son, who plays guitar, gets tired of me and my other twin son, who plays bass, playing RUSH all of the time. Kinda leaves him out. But that's life. He is trying to learn more RUSH so he can get in on the fun too.

Going to see RUSH August 22 in St. Louis.

Just last night my band had a 15 year old sit in for a little real band experience (his dad is a good friend of the bands). We turned him on to some Rush, now he's a Peart Fanatic. Oddly enough he prefers the newer stuff from Vapor Trails and Counter Parts more than Signals or Farewell to Kings.

I'm into classic Rock & and Blues and totally understand wanting to know how a person plays, how they get certain sounds and styles. Lately I have been obsessed with Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Blues in general. I research and listen to the old blues artists and try to understand, mimic and give my own style to the songs. But the last thing I want to know is their favorite color, what they eat, drink and do behind closed doors!

Okay... here's where the old guy shows his age. <grin>

My favorite bands? Probably Glen Miller for the arrangements and sweet complex chords - Duke Ellington for kinda the same sorta thing. Individual guitar players? Probably Joe Pass and Roy Buchanan, Chet Atkins probably also BB. I have great respect for Mark Knopfler too, Kessel, Ellis, Segovia...

I don't try to play like any of 'em, though. Since I mostly do solo work or "sit-ins" with other guys in ways that could be about any kind of music, my interest in what they do has more to do with the timing and "fills," and transitions between "lines" whether we're talking BB or Glen Miller.

Some things are beyond technique. That, I think, is the difference between skilled and truly talented musicians. Actually some of my favorite guitar "solos" in rock have a tendency to be by relatively unknown guys who had/have less technique perhaps than others, but concentrated on a "sound" that fit the music rather than taking flights of virtuosity.

If anything, I think pretty much the same of a lotta the older generation of blues singer/players who were the bridge to a lotta rock. John Lee Hooker comes to mind. BB is kinda the tail end of that generation, as I see it, and has the virtuosity as well as the drive and "fill timing."

Don't get me wrong, I know I'm always working to stretch my own technical abilities but sometimes ... sometimes I wonder if I should think more of the song than the playing of it.

m

Warren Haynes to a point I'm not obsessed but I probably own every major album he's ever made and probably 20-30 bootlegs since he allows recording at all his concerts. And I own his signature Gibson but I don't know anything about his off stage life or anything other than his music and don't really want to know anything either. [biggrin]

On the Jack White subject' date=' at least he's not John Mayer :) . J/k, I appreciate what White's trying to do, but I think he overdoes the whole "Different for Different's Sake" angle. And I just can't stand his Dead Weather project, stop that girl from singing or playing the guitar, Please![/quote']

Yes, I don't like everything he does, but he does some good stuff. And yes, the Dead Weather doesn't have great vocals, but to me, it kinda fits.

I guess it just depends, go figure

Yes' date=' I don't like everything he does, but he does some good stuff. And yes, the Dead Weather doesn't have great vocals, but to me, it kinda fits.

I guess it just depends, go figure

[/quote']

I do like a lot of what he does, and really like his approach to music in general.

Archived