Gibson Brands Forums

Are You In Shape?

heymisterk

Many rock guitar players, after all, don't have a reputation for staying in shape. After all, the classic image of a Les Paul player to me is either Slash or Page playing with a cigarette dangling out of his mouth. I am wondering about you: Do you exercise regularly?

I am a competitive runner, and run anywhere from 20-50 miles a week, depending on if I have a race coming up.

I need to get better at lifting weights regularly.

I don't use any drugs or tobacco products, but I definitely like to tip a few back on occasion. I am especially fond of good red wine.

And you?

I was in great shape when I was in the Navy, got out and two years later found out I had got hepatitis C from a blood transfusion while in the service. That led to Liver cancer and a Liver transplant about a year and a half ago. I just haven't been able to get back to where I was physically but I do still hunt in the mountains and that is quite the workout.

So short answer is I was and I'm working towards that goal again.

So-So but should be better. I'm 59, 5'10 and about 165lbs. I do smoke but I walk regularly and do isometrics. No weightlifting aside from picking up and carrying a very large cat.

Springs & Summers I'm usually good. Last spring/summer I played 35, 2 or 3 a week, reasonably competitive softball games (2 years ago it was over 50 games and a few hardball games. This past year $ucked a bit due to a sore knee). Winters are tough though, up until, 2 years ago, my knee said "don't even think about it", I ice skated and played a bit of open hockey.

I'm 64 and in quite good shape. It's exercise. I keep telling everyone that. And attitude. I walk every morning, do some weight lifting and eat "right". I'm 6' 185# which lists as overwieght in some charts but that's because of the weight work. As far as attitude, you are as young as you act.

Could be in better shape.

I'm 6'1 and weigh about 210 pounds. A little heavier than necessary.

I eat pretty well most of the time but have some habits that I don't intend on giving up any time soon. Cigarette smoking would be a good one to drop.

I don't have an excersize regimen or anything but am somewhat active with my dogs and maintenance around the property.

I haven't played any sports except golf in a few years since having surgery after I blew up my knee playing softball. Used to play up to 60 games a season.

I really should get into more low impact stuff.

Dave

I could be in better shape, but at the same time I'm (physically) in the best shape I've been in for years. Attributable to newly-adopted good eating habits and clean living, and lots of walking and running.

On the other hand, though, I have to admit that I'm not entirely "in shape," as regards, perhaps, mental health. I still suffer from chronic depression and lately have been dealing with insomnia/sleep deprivation. I also have a tendency towards social avoidance. Physically, though, I'm doing pretty alright.

I'm 6-1 and I'm down to 185 lbs.... I used to be at 240 lbs... My L4, L5, and ACL thank me for the weight loss.

What has helped is my daughter has taken a huge interest in weight lifting because at the age of 12 she is playing softball with 16 year old high school girls, and strength is everything at that level. So naturally I've been lifting with her....

I no longer do any "formal" exercise, or organized sports, although I am fairly "active". Having played national, collegiate, and semi-pro level hockey until I was thirty, I was "retired" from sports in the back of an ambulance giving me a ride from a hockey arena to the hospital. A laundry list of major sports injuries (shoulder, knee, neck, lower back) pretty much predicates me from any exercise regime without a couple of major surgeries.

I was born with good genes (at least height/weight ratio), and regardless of what I eat or drink, I continue to maintain an "athletic" build, although certainly not "in shape". I do have a couple of bad habits (smoking and drinking) that will eventually catch up with me.

Until then.......... \:D/

I was born with good genes (at least height/weight ratio), and regardless of what I eat or drink, I continue to maintain an "athletic" build, although certainly not "in shape". I do have a couple of bad habits (smoking and drinking) that will eventually catch up with me.

Until then.......... \:D/

I too was born with good genes, (if by "good" you mean a shape like Humpty Dumpty!)

I'm 45, 5'-9" and 180 lbs. I do some weights three times a week and do the exercise bike 6 days a week for about 30 to 40 minutes. I'm an avid tennis player on the weekends. I gained about 20 lbs since high school. I guess that is pretty normal as you get older as I love to eat :rolleyes: . Don't smoke, probably the worst bad habit you can have for bad health as there is "zero" health benefits on smoking.

As much as skinny is a shape...

I do OK. Living in Chicago I walk everywhere and probably average two miles a day on foot. I also eat well; plenty of fruits and vegetables and not much processed foods. The kicker is that up until Feb. of this year I spent the last nine years going to the gym two/three times a week. Weight lifting included. My frame is small, but I was lean. Now I look like a scarecrow. Also played floor hockey and was in serious bands those nine years. Sleep and personal life? Who needs it. I did get a weight set so I plan on getting back into it this winter. It's the only way to beat those winter blues.

On the other hand, though, I have to admit that I'm not entirely "in shape," as regards, perhaps, mental health. I still suffer from chronic depression and lately have been dealing with insomnia/sleep deprivation. I also have a tendency towards social avoidance. Physically, though, I'm doing pretty alright.

Sounds like me and it did eventually catch up with me in the form of a nervous breakdown in 2008. Still not right in the head (not that I was to begin with). Just some words of caution, brother.

I am what doctors call morbidly obese. I have no other major health issues.

I have lost 20 pounds over the last year. Most weeks, I swim 2 - 3 times a week, for approximately one hour. I really should do it 3 - 4 every week.

We vacationed in Germany and went with the kids to Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau and Linderhoff castles over two different days. I have a new found respect for Bavarians and other Alpiners. There was a TON of walking with GREAT changes in elevation. I must say while I was exhausted at the end of the day I felt pretty good. I really need to lose more weight, but I don't think 2-3 hours a week is going to do it.

I guess my main vice is drinking. I keep it under control, but I definitely overindulge sometimes. Again, love beer and wine. I actually belong to a couple of California wine clubs, and I am always on the lookout for good stuff that is reasonably priced. I love beer too. There is a gay couple that live across the street from me and the "man" in the relationship is really into wine and beer too, so we hang out a lot, drink a lot, and pontificate a lot. My girlfriend, on the other hand, doesn't drink much, so that has been a good influence on me.

I can't do without physical activity. At times in my life when I wasn't staying in shape I suffered bouts of depression and panic. If you don't get some sort of exercise, START! It pays off in spades. Plus, my girlfriend teaches various fitness classes, so her being in shape keeps ME in shape...and that pays off in many ways... [biggrin]

I'm 64 and in quite good shape. It's exercise. I keep telling everyone that. And attitude. I walk every morning, do some weight lifting and eat "right". I'm 6' 185# which lists as overwieght in some charts but that's because of the weight work. As far as attitude, you are as young as you act.

Kind of right there with you. I work out 3x a week with a trainer, try to eat reasonably healthy, but have my vices as well. Quit smoking 30 or so years ago. My doc says my metabolics, et al are pretty much spot on for my age. I’m 63, 5’10, 140, 13% body fat and absolutely blessed with some good genes!

I race cars for fun so staying physically and mentally fit is important to me, and I totally believe you can’t control aging, but you can control how you age. Diet, exercise, and attitude will go a long way. Been working for me anyway. [thumbup]

Archived