Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Gibson Stories

MojoRedFoot

At 15, when I told my Mom & Dad that I wanted to learn to play the guitar, the only thing my Dad said was "Well, you need to have a Gibson then". Can't remember the model, but it was, at the time ('61) an entry level, no frills acoustic, but it was a Gibson. Cost $85 and bless their hearts, M&D had to pay it off in installments. Sadly, I have no idea where that guitar is today, although I'd love to have it back, if for nothing more than the show of support from my parents. I'm happy to say that I was able to repay them on more occasions than I can recall, as we all sat around playing and singing for hours on end.

Currently a very happy Gibby and Epi owner.

A HAPPY GIBSON STORY

One day, in the misty Appalachian mountains of West Virginia lived a little boy with his Father, Mother, fourteen brothers and seven sisters. Life was simple, and life was hard. Their humble cabin was built out of rough timbers lovingly hewn from the surrounding trees which stood tall and proud in the rocky soil. They had thirteen and a half goats, twenty four hens, and one fiesty rooster whom they lovingly named NeoConMan. The family had running water, a cool clear stream which twisted and flowed through their backyard with the gentleness and softness not unlike that of a beautiful mute blonde. Even if cell phone reception was possible, they had none, as owning a cell phone was beyond their meager means. But they were a happy family, and the worries of the outside world was non existant to them. And as winter once again approached, and with the season's crops harvested, the fields lay fallow and the proud parents stood looking out over the wonderful simple life they had created for themselves and their well behaved children. As the sun set slowly slinking away and the trees bent in the soft evening breeze waving goodbye they smiled at eachother as they held hands and shared the jug of two hundred proof moonshine which warmed the cockles of their kind hearts. They smiled because they knew that a long awaited visitor would soon be arriving, and they watched as he approached on foot, alone, carrying a black case. You see, their favorite son had outgrown the banjo which he had inherited from his great great grampa ( rest his soul ), and every year he begged his parents for a real guitar, each year they cried as they tried to explain to him that they were poor, and would never be able to give him such a precious gift, and the boy would always tell his parents that he understood, and that it was alright, that he understood, but they knew how sad he was as they listened to his sad and mournful renditions of Pantera and Tman songs on his out of tune banjo. But this evening was different, because his parents had sent a letter the preivous year to a kind and generous man, and that man was now fast approaching them. And they smiled and took sips from their mooneshine jug. Henry Juszkiewicz finally reached them and proudly handed over the black case. They thanked him and stood in awe as Henry opened up the case. And in the case was a mint 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard with a sunburst so beautiful that all of the birds and animals stopped what they were doing and sighed in great joy and admiration of the wonderful gift that Henry had brought to this humble family in this season of giving, and they asked Henry " How can we ever thank you ? " And Henry smiled and replied," I am the C.E.O of Gibson, and it is me who is thankful and humbled to be allowed to give as a gift to your son this Gibson Guitar. It brings me great joy to know that your son will wake up on Christmas morning and be happy. " And for a moment the world was still, and all was well...............

AND THAT, MY DEAR THREADERS, IS MY HAPPY GIBSON STORY FOR YOU; HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM DAMIAN.......[cool] .........

When I was 19 I saved up for a whole year to buy my first NEW Gibson. I bought a 1999 LE Natural Burst SG. I loved that guitar and it was the year before they shot it into production.

Gorgeous guitar. Sounded better, and for some reason it had "All hail SG" written on the back of the headstock?!? Can anyone explain that?

I love heavy and gnarly les pauls. But I love SG's.

In 2006 I bought a Black Flying "V" (at cost [biggrin] ) when I was at GC, INCREDIBLE GUITAR, but you can't sit down with them so I learned why they are primarily live guitars.

I always heard people say you can't sit down with them but I never really understood it when they said it.

A HAPPY GIBSON STORY

One day, in the misty Appalachian mountains of West Virginia lived a little boy with his Father, Mother, fourteen brothers and seven sisters. Life was simple, and life was hard. Their humble cabin was built out of rough timbers lovingly hewn from the surrounding trees which stood tall and proud in the rocky soil. They had thirteen and a half goats, twenty four hens, and one fiesty rooster whom they lovingly named NeoConMan. The family had running water, a cool clear stream which twisted and flowed through their backyard with the gentleness and softness not unlike that of a beautiful mute blonde. Even if cell phone reception was possible, they had none, as owning a cell phone was beyond their meager means. But they were a happy family, and the worries of the outside world was non existant to them. And as winter once again approached, and with the season's crops harvested, the fields lay fallow and the proud parents stood looking out over the wonderful simple life they had created for themselves and their well behaved children. As the sun set slowly slinking away and the trees bent in the soft evening breeze waving goodbye they smiled at eachother as they held hands and shared the jug of two hundred proof moonshine which warmed the cockles of their kind hearts. They smiled because they knew that a long awaited visitor would soon be arriving, and they watched as he approached on foot, alone, carrying a black case. You see, their favorite son had outgrown the banjo which he had inherited from his great great grampa ( rest his soul ), and every year he begged his parents for a real guitar, each year they cried as they tried to explain to him that they were poor, and would never be able to give him such a precious gift, and the boy would always tell his parents that he understood, and that it was alright, that he understood, but they knew how sad he was as they listened to his sad and mournful renditions of Pantera and Tman songs on his out of tune banjo. But this evening was different, because his parents had sent a letter the preivous year to a kind and generous man, and that man was now fast approaching them. And they smiled and took sips from their mooneshine jug. Henry Juszkiewicz finally reached them and proudly handed over the black case. They thanked him and stood in awe as Henry opened up the case. And in the case was a mint 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard with a sunburst so beautiful that all of the birds and animals stopped what they were doing and sighed in great joy and admiration of the wonderful gift that Henry had brought to this humble family in this season of giving, and they asked Henry " How can we ever thank you ? " And Henry smiled and replied," I am the C.E.O of Gibson, and it is me who is thankful and humbled to be allowed to give as a gift to your son this Gibson Guitar. It brings me great joy to know that your son will wake up on Christmas morning and be happy. " And for a moment the world was still, and all was well...............

AND THAT, MY DEAR THREADERS, IS MY HAPPY GIBSON STORY FOR YOU; HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM DAMIAN.......[cool] .........

=D> There must no be too much to do out there in Oregon. [biggrin]

Years ago (74) I bought my first Gibson - 65 Melody Maker (DC). Love it. Still have it. Over the ensuing years I purchased many Gibson guitars, electric and acoustic. Never had a problem. Currently I've got that Melody Maker, a LP, a SG and a J-200. Love 'em all. And just because we see a lot of electric guitars in the Lounge, here's my J-200 (bone bridge and bone pins with tortoise inlay by Bob Colosi) -

08GibsonSJ200front2.jpg

08GibsonSJ200backsm.jpg

A HAPPY GIBSON STORY

Nice little story Damian. I needed something like that this morning. Spent over 2 hours getting to work and was frustrated as h3ll.

A plus for you.

Dave

Reaslly nice to see some happy customers.

I believe the good far outweighs the bad.

Wanted a Gibson since I was 15. I'm now 48 and got my first last November, then my second last April, them my third about 3 weeks ago.

What fantastic instruments.

While I do own and will own other brands, I will always cherish my Gibby's.

Dave

Archived