Gibson Brands Forums

Neo's gonna love this one

Thundergod

Last saturday a li'l guy came to class with his brand new guitar bought at the local GC style store :rolleyes:

He paid a little more than what he would have paid in here for the same guitar (asuming I would sell a kid that's starting a guitar he will not be able to tune, as it sports some sort of licensed floyd rose).

He also didn't get any candy with it, I'd have given him some picks and strings, maybe a strap (even though is a cheap V jackson).

Anyway... here are the pics of what those SOBs sold the guy as new [cursing] (brace yourselves)

Nicely setup (yep, that thing you see comin' out from under the bridge... it's the sixth string, don't know how those a$$holes managed to slip it all the way through)

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

Strings installed like the PRO's do it, some guys can never have enough string in their headstocks

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

Remember that Red Hot Chilli Peppers song "under the bridge"? This pic reminds me of it, don't know why :rolleyes:

IMG_0158.jpg

Don't forget about the nut, it's really important you set it up properly so the guitar stays in tune. This one just wouldn't hold it... wonder why. (Yes, those nutlocks are instaled upside down and they don't serve any purpose at all 'cause they don't touch the strings, did you guys notice the wood screw in the middle? Sadly the thread's been damaged and the nut will have to be changed for a new one if he wants to keep the guitar and use the floyd rose)

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

The icing on the cake... where would a V style guitar be without a missing chunk from one of the sides?

IMG_0157.jpg

My favorite:

IMG_0158.jpg

I know some would say "whoever pays for such a thing deserves it" and believe me I feel the same way, if you pay for such a thing you are the one to blame BUT we are talking about a 10 year old kid that doesn't know a thing (tho he firmly believes he knows EVERYTHING and then some more). His parents send him with their chauffeur to buy it and the guy is as iletrate as they come, so don't expect much from him either. I think it's the parents who are to blame, that kid is already spoilt and will only get worst in the future (don't get me started on it, the guy teaching him is about to just give up on him).

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed them pics. [thumbup]

Last saturday a li'l guy came to class with his brand new guitar bought at the local GC style store :rolleyes:

He paid a little more than what he would have paid in here for the same guitar (asuming I would sell a kid that's starting a guitar he will not be able to tune, as it sports some sort of licensed floyd rose).

He also didn't get any candy with it, I'd have given him some picks and strings, maybe a strap (even though is a cheap V jackson).

Anyway... here are the pics of what those SOBs sold the guy as new [cursing] (brace yourselves)

Nicely setup (yep, that thing you see comin' out from under the bridge... it's the sixth string, don't know how those a$holes managed to slip it all the way through)

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

Strings installed like the PRO's do it, some guys can never have enough string in their headstocks

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

Remember that Red Hot Chilli Peppers song "under the bridge"? This pic reminds me of it, don't know why :rolleyes:

Don't forget about the nut, it's really important you set it up properly so the guitar stays in tune. This one just wouldn't hold it... wonder why. (Yes, those nutlocks are instaled upside down and they don't serve any purpose at all 'cause they don't touch the strings, did you guys notice the wood screw in the middle? Sadly the thread's been damaged and the nut will have to be changed for a new one if he wants to keep the guitar and use the floyd rose)

The icing on the cake... where would a V style guitar be without a missing chunk from one of the sides?

My favorite:

WOW! msp_scared.gifmsp_cursing.gif I love it when they take a trade in and just throw it on the wall without setting it up, changing the strings (love the rusty strings too) etc... Then again they don't seem to do much at all with their new guitars. I used to teach too and I hated it when the students would come in all proud of what they got from another store. I didn't get anything from selling them guitars but I at least knew if they bought something from me it would have been set-up well. The problem is that if you tell them or their parents about the issues they get defensive or if they try to take it back and have them fix it they ( The other music store ) claim that you're full of sh*t! Did you try to show the parents where they were getting ripped? Do they have the 30 day return on used gear?

You should send this to the CEO of Guitar Center and let him know you will be passing this along to Sam Ashe and other Big Name dealers. Maybe even send it to Jackson. If anything maybe they will try to make things right with the kid. This is total BS!!!!!!!!

Dang, how did it buy it like that as new? is he a total newbie?

I think it was "new" to the kid. If they actually sold that as new they would be liable for a law suit as that is obviously a trade in from some 14 year kid.

Well the kid said they sold it as new... they got him a nice deal too :rolleyes: as the same model but "in the box" costed 10% more... as this was a floor model they took 10% down for a "nice" total of 250 bucks (for a guitar I sell for $240 still in the box) [cursing]

Parents won't even mind it, as long as the kid stays away from home as long as possible [rolleyes] :angry:

Well the kid said they sold it as new... they got him a nice deal too :rolleyes: as the same model but "in the box" costed 10% more... as this was a floor model they took 10% down for a "nice" total of 250 bucks (for a guitar I sell for $240 still in the box) [cursing]

Parents won't even mind it, as long as the kid stays away from home as long as possible [rolleyes] :angry:

Yeah I am familiar with the Music Store Babysitting service. There is no way that thing is in anyway new. Not even for a store demo! The bridge is already getting pitted the pick-up screws are rusted. If that is a new store demo I will eat a pick. That thing had to go home with somebody at some point and looks exactly what some 14 year old yahoo would do to it. I would seriously send those pictures to the CEO. A guitar like that will end up putting a kid off from playing. I got 10% off the little Marshall Class 5 I bought just because it didn't have the box. That thing should be a 60% or more off to not be stealing from someone!! That's a $60.00 guitar tops in that condition.

I think I like the backwards strung strings the best.

Are you certain the guitar was sold in that condition, and it wasn't the neophyte 10 year old trying to "do it himself'?

Surely even Ecuador has consumer protection laws to prevent this stuff....

maybe not.

[thumbdn]

Are you certain the guitar was sold in that condition, and it wasn't the neophyte 10 year old trying to "do it himself'?

maybe not.

[thumbdn]

Actually I backwards string all my floyds. Have for years. I don't leave all the damn string slack on the post though!

Here's an embaressing moment of mine. One time i strung a floyd and locked it down, but I was getting some terrible buzz from the 5th string. So I look down near the floyd and I noticed that part of the string is unwound. So I'm like "oh schnit I strung it backwards" [blush]

Actually I backwards string all my floyds. Have for years. I don't leave all the damn string slack on the post though!

Curious. In 35 years of guitar playing I now know of 2 folks who do this, and found them both in the same thread on the same night!

[lol]

maybe not.

[thumbdn]

those were my thought's as well...I was thinking there's no way any somewhat capable employee would sell that as new..let alone put it on on the wall...this may take the cake for jaw-dropping threads..

Thought the balls up threading of this erstwhile guit tar was a nice touch. [thumbdn]

Did you say that it WAS purchased at a Guitar Center?

Depending on how much you care about this kid... you should offer to chauffeur the kid and guitar to GC, with the receipt, find the first salesman and say W.T.F? just as loud as I could (I don't usually use that kind of language.)

You know I don't really mind rich folks paying full boat, but to out and out cheat someone is just plain wrong, dead, d. wrong. If they'd scam a 10 year old Richy Rich, they'll cheat my modestly funded grandson.

Me and the store manager would be having a not so nice tet-a-tet. Before we left, this kid got a brand-new in the box, in a hard shell case, replacement.... and a hand full of picks.

Just on principle.

Guys...It was bought at Ecuador's (Bolivia's?) version of GC, not Guitar Center. Sometimes i think you guys don't read the threads...just look at the nice pictures hehehehe....

I believe GC is a US only company for retail locations. Big box type guitar shop though....same ****, different country.

Those are awful pics...makes me sad for that kid in some way. Angry at the parents in another.

Did you school him Thunder?

those were my thought's as well...I was thinking there's no way any somewhat capable employee would sell that as new..let alone put it on on the wall...this may take the cake for jaw-dropping threads..

I'm assuming that the kid takes a weekly or biweekly lesson? So I would assume he hadn't had the guitar for more than a week. Those strings are months or more old. I really doubt an employee would do that but wouldn't at all be surprised for them not to care that it went out that way. This was something that I was actually surprised about the first few times that I went to Guitar Center, and Mars which ended getting turned into Sam Ash here in Indianapolis. I had only been to the GC in Hollywood and Dallas during the early 90's and everything was immaculate. My buddy was the top Salesman for GC in Hollywood for about 10 years. So I was thinking man this is going to be great. The guitar Centers and Sam Ash now just seem to be Wal Marts. I don't know how many used (and new) guitars that I would pick-up that had missing parts, rusty strings, no setup, sharp fret ends, dirty, missing knobs, jacks falling out, pots that are loose, you name it I have seen it there. They Don't seem to care! I bet if someone traded in a guitar with a dog turd smeared and stuck to the headstock they would just leave it like it is and throw it up on the wall.

I still maintain that is a freakin' used guitar!

They come into town and put all the small shops out of business and then they don't care about quality because they sell so much volume it doesn't matter.

I don't know what the kid is like I know I had some good students that I would have personally taken back to the store and throttled who ever sold it to them and I had some students that were little turds ( Usually their parents were too ) so I would just let it go and kinda feel like they got what they deserved.

I hope it is a good kid and I think it would be great if Thundergod would take him back to GC and call them out. This might be difficult since it appears as though he works at a music store and could be taken as he just pissed because the kid didn't buy there. But he could get a knowledgable friend to do it if the parents are willing.

I still say this should get sent to the CEO. I'm even willing to draft up an eloquently written " Pardon me but your an Arsehole if you don't take care of this" letter to go along with it.

This makes me really angry!

Archived