Gibson Brands Forums

i DO NOT like jimi hendrix...

S t e v e

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are not alone, I have always preferred Clapton to Hendrix myself, but then again I never thought much of Elvis Presley either, I thought he got the acclaim (King of Rock & Roll), that was due to Chuck Berry!

But that`s just my opinion,

Steve.

I don't care for Elvis either. I like Hendrix and Clapton....not so much steve vai or gary moore or some of those..

I am a diehard Bonamassa fan though.

Not to slam you Steve, but IMHO, you have the musical tastes of a 14 year old kid, so it doesn't surprise me that you don't like Hendrix.

When I think of Hendrix, I don't think of Voodoo Child, or Purple Haze, etc. I think of a man that pioneered heavy rock as we know it today.

Nobody, and I mean nobody will ever have the approach to the electric guitar that Hendrix had. There is an undefinable beauty to how he plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J2WdcW0ZY4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCDDNwMViyA

rocky thanks for posting that,the second video i had'nt seen before. really enjoyed it,

There are three types of Hendrix fans.

1. People that like his finesse and leads.

2. People that like the sonic quality of his electric guitar.

3. People that like both.

I fall heavily into #2 with a touch of #3.

Hendrix put the word electric in electric guitar. He is the highest prophet in the Church of the Sonic Guitar; like jesus to christians or mohammad to muslims. If you only look at his playing and ignore his sonic contributions to the guitar you are not seeing the whole picture. Hendrix is the finest caviar being fed to you by shooting it out of the barrel of a sawed off shotgun.

Why do you feel the need to tell us you don't like someone and then get pissy when people don't agree with you? Who cares bro!

Music is a great big salad bar.

Take what ya like and disregard the rest.

I'd give ya my opinion on a lot of guitarist but it won't change how you feel about them.

If ya ain't gettin it, ya ain't gettin it.

Peace and love. cool.gif

For my money - I like most of Hendrix's work. In particular, his Blues album shows just how gifted he really was.

However, I think there are a number of guitarists since who are more competent (technically). The OP mentioned Rory Gallagher. I had the privilege of seeing Rory live in about '76 - he was simply incredible.

I love Jimmy Page's work. Clapton? Not so much - though the "Beano" album, Layla and much of his Cream work were all outstanding.

But these days, the guitarist I listen to the most would probably be Jeff Beck. Technically gifted (in the way Vai, Satriani, Moore, etc are), but there's a "spirit" in his playing that (for me) many of these other guitarists don't have. Hendrix had that, so did Gallagher & SRV - as does Carlos Santana.

But, what Jimi had above all these was the innovation. Yes, there have been many innovations since Jimi died (as there were before him (Chuck Berry, Les Paul, Duane Eddy to name a few), but Hendrix did more to influence the future of electric guitar playing than anyone before or since. And that's why he's held in the high esteem he is by most guitarists

In My Humble Opinion.....

I dig Hendrix! what I never really cared for was Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell. The jams they go on just turn into Tom rolls and 16th notes. Now when Billy Cox got on the bass things got better, but I don't think he ever played with a drummer that knew where Jimi was going.

Gary Moore? He's had the opportunity to play with the best and this is all he's done with it....he's a good guitarist, but nothing truly outstanding beyond his accuracy and speed.

The bottom line here is. It's all about the period. Hendrix moved the guitar on a step. I'm not over keen on him. But appreciate what he did for the guitar. Now days, things move so quickly and it's all been done. When people like Elvis, The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zep etc did what they did. It Hadn't been Done before.

Before these people we had Sinatra, Dean Martin etc. The guitarists then were clean sounding. Les Paul, Chet etc.

It's like bringing out a car that runs on water now.

There are three types of Hendrix fans.

1. People that like his finesse and leads.

2. People that like the sonic quality of his electric guitar.

3. People that like both.

I fall heavily into #2 with a touch of #3.

Hendrix put the word electric in electric guitar. He is the highest prophet in the Church of the Sonic Guitar; like jesus to christians or mohammad to muslims. If you only look at his playing and ignore his sonic contributions to the guitar you are not seeing the whole picture. Hendrix is the finest caviar being fed to you by shooting it out of the barrel of a sawed off shotgun.

Well said Evol: I'm 6, 1+2+3 (I think).

Cheers

It's pretty hard to overlook the fact that Hendrix pretty much set the tone for the future

of rock music. Not single handedly, but was probably the most significant in introducing

the virtuoso guitar era.

His music is not for everybody, but you've got to respect what he's accomplished to some degree.

I like Hendrix and Moore and Green, and Clapton and Van Eps and Montgomery and Christian and SRV and Roy Buchanon and Benson and Harrison and Eddy and Atkins and White and Watson and a whole bunch of others and frankly, I am not sorry about it...

if you don't like a player, turn it off...

Now Excuse me, but I must be on my way..............................

I like Hendrix and Moore and Green, and Clapton and Van Eps and Montgomery and Christian and SRV and Roy Buchanon and Benson and Harrison and Eddy and Atkins and White and Watson and a whole bunch of others and frankly, I am not sorry about it...

if you don't like a player, turn it off...

Now Excuse me, but I must be on my way..............................

Oh please... allow me. I believe some emoticons are in order here.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Bravo!!!

Archived