Ricky Gervais' comedic attack at The Golden Globes

Duende

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I generally like Ricky Gervais...

He is very intelligent and has carved a niche as a straight-talking humourist

Not afraid to cut through the crap of showbiz hype

There is not room for too many like him...otherwise showbiz would be destroyed by negativity

And That Would Never Do.... <_<

V

:-({|=

My wife posted this on facebook and while not a fan of Ricky Gervais' - I found myself laughing at his sheer cheek! msp_flapper.gif Robert De Niro and Al Pacino both said they found it funny, Robert Downey Jnr was less amused.

As a piece of comedy history, I think it has made a mark; see what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvHXzP2SpLA

Some of his jokes are very funny, others not so much. What do i think overall? I think america has become FAR too politically correct and people are so uptight it's difficult to joke about anything these days. Lighten up people, he's just a comedian.

I think the monologue is really funny. It almost makes me wish I had seen the awards ceremonies. [biggrin]

Some of the jokes -- especially the remarks about Downey, Jr. having been in jail and in some recovery clinic -- are pretty risqué, but IMO humor should be allowed to push the limits to a point, and I don't think Gervais went too far.

As to what he said about "The Tourist": I think everyone was asking how that movie could have been nominated. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Sony paid for the nomination. They were caught a few years ago writing reviews for their own films.

I watched it and thought it was pretty funny. It reminded me of one of those "roasts". I could see how the people on the recieving end of some of the jokes would be insulted. And I think the audience was unsure of whether to laugh or not since they are all kind of aquaintances.

I wasnt a fan of the office or his singing career, but as a comedian and stand up I find him funny because he is observational and puts political correctness where it belongs most of the time. Comedy has become fairly dull over recent years and the funniest stand ups are those that push the limits and say what they and others are actually thinking. I think much of his material actually covered a lot of opinion or news that was already out there.

I think what bugs me is the coverage that has happened in the aftermath, I think its fair to say that if you book a comedian (or any artist) you check out their material before hand and weigh up its apropriateness before the gig.

It was nice to see someone NOT having their lips up the arses of the stars and being disgustingly sychophantic.

i DO NOT like Ricky Gervais:)

I like the "I DO NOT" ;) msp_biggrin.gif

back on track...up until when he referred to the suffragette's nonchalantly as lesbians I couldn't stand Ricky Gervais - I despised things like The Office. I have never to many of of the popular comedies of the same ilk , things such as Little Britain, The Royale family for example. It is not I don't like them as such; just that I don't know what bits are meant to be funny!! LOL

I have reluctantly realised that I actually like this man in stand up. I love people who take it to the edge. Peter Sellars (well he often went WAY over the edge) and certainly people like Lenny Bruce and George Carling.

I would love to see Ricky Gervais do an attack on FIFA and also the primadona millionaires who masquerade as footballers these day!

Matt

ps Re Comedy Roasting

The most classiest person I have seen so far on the comedy roastings was William Shatner. He took it all on the chin, laughing along with it all. At the end he said when asked to comment (from memory so not exact) "I am just a little bit disappointed that with so much material about me, you just couldn't have made it funner" msp_biggrin.gif

Matt

I liked The Office (the US version less-so) & Extras had some outstanding parts.

I've seen the four stand-up shows he did on DVD and they're all very funny, IMO.

I haven't seen any of his movies.

Seriously, I find it had to believe the people who hired him to present this didn't know what they were going to get.

It would be the same if they'd got Eddie Murphy (back in his stand-up days), Richard Pryor or (can you imagine?) Bill Hicks. What about Robin Williams?

If you employ a stand-up who "pushes the envelope", you've got to expect they're going to offend some people - and if they happen to be "big stars" who (let's be honest - feed on publicity to some extent) so much the better.

My wife posted this on facebook and while not a fan of Ricky Gervais' - I found myself laughing at his sheer cheek! msp_flapper.gif Robert De Niro and Al Pacino both said they found it funny, Robert Downey Jnr was less amused.

As a piece of comedy history, I think it has made a mark; see what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvHXzP2SpLA

i thought stuff like that was pre-planned and that the said celebs knew what they were in for?

Just looking at him gets my blood boiling. He's not fit to lick Frankie Boyle's boots.

Somone should shoot him.

He's just another celeb that thinks he's better than he is.

I hope I put the news on tomorrow and someone's shot him.

To be totally honest I find it is the subject matter that fascinates me about this situation. ..ie did he go over the top as a comedian, or was it all fare game? Are celebrities too sensitive these days given the amount of publicity they court and their own 'gaffs' they commit etc?

With all due respect, if he is your worst comedian and you despise his brand of humour, or you think he is a comedy genius, that is not really what I meant in my initial post - ie a judgement of the talent of Ricky Gervais. Sorry if my initial post was misleading in that way.msp_mellow.gif The talking point of what he spoke of towards the celebrities was what I was throwing out there

Cheers

Matt

Archived