Gibson Brands Forums

Ever leave your amp on overnight?

Tim Plains

I've done this maybe 5 times now, luckily only with SS amps, and feel like an idiot the next day when I see the red light is still on. I'll play guitar, then decide to go do something else for a while before picking it up again, then don't get around to it and BAM, the amp's on all night. Do you guys ever do this?

I never have.

But don't be fooled in thinking just because its SS that it's not as bad as a tube amp.

My SS amp spontaneously burst into flames. Well, ok I was playing it at the time. I've not opened her up yet, but I think a power transistor went bad and sent all the DC current went directly into the speaker voice coil which was too much and she caught fire.

No, never have. I stop playing "plugged in," around 7PM, at the latest, here, in the house. From then on, it's unplugged, or acoustic. Plus, I check things out, before I go to bed...not just the amp, but anything electrical, that doesn't have to be on. Don't want any fire related "surprises," that way, in the middle of the night.

CB

I've left my Marshall tube amp in standby overnight once or twice.

Stupid question here but I'll ask anyway. Am I decreasing the life of the tubes if it is left in standby?

You might, but I wouldn't think enough to make a big difference.

As long as your amp was in standby, there was no high voltage going to the power tubes, only heater voltage, in other words, your power tubes were idling so to speak.

Back in the day, those old tube powered PA amps ( Bogen, EV, etc. like you used to see in a closet at church or something) ran for years and years, many times never getting turned off, but, tubes where more reliable then too.

I didn't but someone else did. I had a Rivera amp up at my church and found out that someone else played through it and didn't turn it off. Found it on and guesstimated it had been on over 24 hours. Couldnt' get any sound out of it. Yeah I was a little angry; though I was going to have to repair it or re-tube it but I let it sit overnight and it turned on fine the next day. It happened again later and same result; hasn't happened since. Now I assumed my pastor would know I didn't want anyone playing on it so after that I put a laminated tag on it that said, "Property of <my name>. Do not use without permission" and haven't found it left on since. I guess that's the danger of leaving your equipment somewhere else.

Archived