Gibson Brands Forums

Your favorite bassists

Lungimsam

List your top 4 and why. I'll start:

1.Geezer Butler - love his powerful tone and bass lines, though I don't like his bands- go figure.

2. Jack Casady of Jefferson Airplane. Powerful tone and the man can walk some outrageous baselines!

3. Bootsy Collins- funkiest bass player I have ever heard.

4. Robert Smith- saddest bass lines I have ever heard (sad as in the emotion). Though he is mainly a singer/ guitarist, I am referring to his melodic Bass VI work on The Cure's Disintegration album (Plainsong, Same Deep Water as You), and also the song "Faith" from their Faith album as well as many others thru the years.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So difficult to limit to 4.....

Unusual suspects...those who have touched most hearts....

1. Paul McCartney

2. Carol Kaye...session player par excellence

3. John Paul Jones...session player par excellence...Zep-Man...and organ bass pumper...

4. Sting...knows the right notes to play...

V

:-({|=

So difficult to limit to 4.....

Unusual suspects...those who have touched most hearts....

1. Paul McCartney

2. Carol Kaye...session player par excellence

3. John Paul Jones...session player par excellence...Zep-Man...and organ bass pumper...

4. Sting...knows the right notes to play...

V

:-({|=

I can't argue with that list.msp_thumbup.gif

although I would add James Jamerson of Motown's The Funk Brothers to there as well.

bass players do not get the credit they deserve. it may be on the surface the easiest to learn, it is the hardest to play properly. there is more to just hitting notes, there is a thing called timing. not just when the notes are hit, but when they end and what they do in between. while a guitar player is up front and getting all the listeners attention, when the bass player makes a mistake everyone notices because it has the most impact. it isn't just a perfection game, how the bass player plays has the most potential to drive a tune and effect its mood. simply bass lines may be simple to comprehend to some, but the concentration it takes with the music is the most demanding, more so than any instrument i can think of. that is one reason why in many bands the bass player doesn't sing as much as the guitar player.

just so you know, i suck at bass, so i'm not trying to toot my horn.

also, when it comes to walking bass lines and moving around, the bass player cannot even think of doing this without an understanding of chord structures, unlike a guitar player who just has to hit a chord and not even know what it is. see, while any bass line by itself may sound good, it has to fit in the music. the only way that happens is if the bass player knows the chords and the theory behind them if he is going to take a walk.

#1. DR. ART DAVIS. not the average person knows who he is, but if they do, it's like, duh. he was a jazz musician from the mid to late bebob era, pioneering the avent garde movement with max roach, and remanind active up through the time when jazz became popular again in the 90's. played on so many recordings it has not been possible to create anything near a complete discography. did not ever play with miles davis, but everyone else. coltrane, parker, dizzy, nearly everyone. he was a pioneer of the concept of syncopation in both execution of rythm and also as a vehicle for the advent garde movement. from everyone who knew him, was regarded as "the greatest bass player who ever lived". he could solo on the stand up bass the equall of the greats like coltrane, cannonball, wayne shorter, and elvin jones. was an especially gifted sight reader, being able to play compositions with perfection in one take.

as a side note, was the 1st african american to play for the cbs orchestra (predating johnney carson's show) and the first black man to be in the new york symphony, the new york philaharmonic, and the first black man to be fired by both by playing for both at the same time.

#2 WILLIE DIXON. his songwriting is what he is known for, but many of the blues riffs that are played today and taken for granted were actually created by his bass lines. like "wang dang doodle" and "smokestack lighting". i see him as the man behind the sophistication in the chicago blues.

#3 GEDDY LEE. because, he is geddy lee

#4 DUSTY HILL this individual boogies harder than anything on the planet. grooves deeper than anything on the planet. living or machine. he is a wonder of science, and should be studied. if everyone could do what he does, we might not need guitars. if his boogie doesn't get to you, there may be a channel missing from your mix, a speaker out, or, perhaps the part of your brain that comprises the boogie portion is missing. if it is missing, i think it is very possible that he may be able to beat it back in. science may prove this someday.

#5 JOHN TAYLOR you know, this is not really my bag, this music, but i like his playing to the point of liking to hear it. his playing is not only a great example of the impact the bass can have on the song, but is able to add elements of melody and beauty through the bass, while giving the tune rythm at the same time, and doing all that as one.

bass players do not get the credit they deserve. it may be on the surface the easiest to learn, it is the hardest to play properly. there is more to just hitting notes, there is a thing called timing. not just when the notes are hit, but when they end and what they do in between. while a guitar player is up front and getting all the listeners attention, when the bass player makes a mistake everyone notices because it has the most impact. it isn't just a perfection game, how the bass player plays has the most potential to drive a tune and effect its mood. simply bass lines may be simple to comprehend to some, but the concentration it takes with the music is the most demanding, more so than any instrument i can think of. that is one reason why in many bands the bass player doesn't sing as much as the guitar player.

Well said.

Off the top of my head:

1. Adam Clayton,

2. Sting

A lot of greats already mentioned so I am just going to add a few. Will also say that for a bass player to really shine his partner in crime, the drummer, has to help lift him up. At least if you are talking about rock/funk/blues. For jazz, it's the wild west.

I really like Rick Danko's playing in the Band. Listen to the way he and Levon lock in on songs like King Harvest and Cripple Creek.

Although Flea can be a little note heavy at times, his playing on BloodSugarSexMagik is some of the greatest bass playing ever. Such groove with a respect for song and notes. He is in 100% harmony with the drums and guitar.

I like Jack Bruce too. Tales of Brave Ulysses grooves deep all because of his bass.

Dig this you squares!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BGlFsf9DM8

[thumbup] As I expected from you Evol [biggrin]

I second that notion.

Always glad to drop The Band's name when I can. I know there are more than a few huge fans on this site.

Funny that this came up because I was listening to Cripple Creek on headphones this AM and blissing out on that kick drum/bass groove.

Archived